Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 481288 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2014, 08:40:57 am »

Spoiler: Dalia Simoneit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hakim Alfarsi (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:43:27 am by USEC_OFFICER »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2014, 09:04:01 am »

Okay so here's the idea: Actually as things stand, GWG, I haven't applied any mods to my DR yet to narrow its scope, so it applies to pretty much everything, though I'm actually discussing with the GM and people on what sort of things I should run.

Alright, so we change up the DR so every two levels protects one point, making my math a bit easier let's just double the cost.

so DR 10.

Additionally, I'll take [Tough Skin] if people want, without taking the relevant decrease in cost since 10 DR, as it's pointed out, is already REALLY strong.

And secondly, there is one thing that hasn't been noticed.

Yes, she gets stronger.

Until her armor blocks 21 points of damage.

Then she flatlines as far as growth goes.

yes, that's enough for some things, but none of them are especially gamebreaking.

She's hard to damage, yes, but at 2x blunt damage (or if you'd rather just [Limited:Physical] so she can't absorb energy attacks, though this would nerf her rather severely. Oh, also, any attack that she fails to dodge (not takes damage from, FAILS TO DODGE) is treated as if it did damage for poison/disease/touch attacks.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2014, 09:08:41 am »

I am not quite sure I understand the mechanism quite yet. It would be best to provide example scenarios.

regardless, her rules sort of exist in a rule-vacuum right now, as seemingly they are independant from mana and the magic stat - and that's a no go. We can't make up a set of rules for just a single character.

so rather than the damage to adaption conversion being capped by "once she took x damage", the adaption is catalysed by mana, and that mana runs out. The actual extend of the adaptation, and what sort of attacks she can adapt to depends on the mag stat. That way, she is also less minmaxed, as she can't just freely put lots and lots of stats in defence and resistance, without the downside that her abilities suffer from the lack of attention.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:16:38 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2014, 09:16:50 am »

Don't really need a system. It shaves damage.

Anyway, if I did go and grab Tough Skin:

I could be knocked out by tranquilizer darts. They wouldn't hurt me, but they'd be treated like they did.

Same with poisons and disease, and as rightly pointed out earlier, Save-or-die bypasses DR entirely.

Hell, we could just go the narrative route and just say that, well, it's carapace. Blocks normal attacks pretty well, internal magic not so much, and massive blunt force wrecks its shit.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2014, 09:17:53 am »

And WEE! Rag's back! *Waves enthusiastically*
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2014, 09:18:21 am »

Yes really need a system. Rules are not optional.

edit: especialy if "doing it narratively" means that getting nuked makes the character immortal.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:27:17 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2014, 09:29:19 am »

It's armor.

Treat it like armor.

Beyond that, we have a system.

It's in the freaking book.

stores up to 20 pp that can be spent on advantages.

can heal at 1 point/point.

any advantages bought disappear at the end of the scene, or at I think 1/round, meaning she has to keep taking damage or lose them.

It runs on the character creation system :P

Yes really need a system. Rules are not optional.

edit: especialy if "doing it narratively" means that getting nuked makes the character immortal.

Assuming I have the DR to tank it, which I don't.

Seriously, did I REALLY need to specify that?

And it actually would, if I managed to get that much DR. Unkillable 3 is a thing.

... which honestly I could take instead if people were that upset.

No damage reduction, I just return to base and grow a new body if I die.

Think the thing that Ashley had in 2.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:36:22 am by ragnarok97071 »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2014, 09:48:27 am »

I will leave it to Smurf, though until the ability is fitted into the system in a balanced way, I will vspeak out about it whenever I can. It's one thing to make an ability that is based on the damage you take, and another to use that as an excuse to minmax the system to hell and back. It's things like this that KJ talked about with "there'll be always minmaxers". And that is why I made the stats in a way that every one of them is important.

as a GM I will also point out that "it's in the book" never overules a GMs decision, in this case all the more important as we are not playing gurps. We are not even playing a gurps-homebrew.

taking other players abilities as a measure of scale, having 5 in mag locks the char at small acts - meaning when damage is taken, she could roll mag to absorb 1d5 damage from it. Each time she does so, she spends 3 mana - so she can do it three times. These 1d5 points can then be put into appropriate adaptations regarding the damage source - a scorpion tail is hardly an adaptation to being hit by a car, nor is plasma breath an adaption to an explosion.

They would however last the whole battle, that is okay with me.

either something along those lines, or the earlier idea I posted are what I recommend. the rest is at the GMs discretion

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2014, 09:53:04 am »

Except that completely defeats the purpose of taking DR. And hell, it's not even a magical ability, it's a physical adaptation.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:45 am »

well, with a huge natural damage reduction, and a huge defence stat, you are of course very unlikely to take and damage. But why would a body adapt to an attack that is not even damaging it?

also, it does not matter in this system if it's magic learned from a book, a robots superior functions, a persona or any sort of super power. All abilities run over the magic stat and need mana to function, as a balancing matter that unifies the system. Nobody can just declare "but my powers work differently so they are exempt from the rules". That's worse than powergaming, at least powergaming tries to get the most power out of what is actually within the system. Declaring your abilities as something that ignores the rules is simply not an option. That would be like building a hotel in monopoly, but instead of paying money for it, going to jail and declaring "I am playing a mafia boss, I got the hotel illegaly"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2014, 10:01:02 am »

I need to try that last bit now.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:53 am »

Look, if I was going to do that I'd just buy a lower DR and some other useful powers and stuff. Seriously, the method you're suggesting makes no sense. I van see the active portion working like that, needing a mag roll to assign the points or something, but not the DR itself. It's a bloody passive.

Additionally, no it's not. The advantages in this system are based on GURPS. It's in the OP. Monopoly has no such rule. GURPS advantages do.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:05:38 am by ragnarok97071 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:33 am »

so rather than the damage to adaption conversion being capped by "once she took x damage",...
Actually, the way it is now, every 10 points of damage her DR stops actually, damage that penetrates DR also counts, the DR drops by one point. rag's interpretation isn't how the rules actually work.
So, when I said that a bunch of bullets would take her down? I wasn't lying.

Treat it like armor.
Armor boosts Defense.

Unkillable 3 is a thing.
... which honestly I could take instead if people were that upset.
No damage reduction, I just return to base and grow a new body if I die.
Or Unkillable 2, which means that you keep the same body and can be kept dead if you drop the body in acid or fire or something.

Additionally, no it's not. The advantages in this system are based on GURPS. It's in the OP. Monopoly has no such rule. GURPS advantages do.
Actually, active advantages are converted to use the magic system here whenever possible. Simple damage-reduction isn't; absorptive armor hasn't been covered, but the active half would probably need to be converted.

I'll see if I can't figure something more...sane out.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:15:01 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Laura

• Bay Watcher
  • Soo sexy. ~desu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2014, 10:15:39 am »

Whens the game gonna start? Estimation atleast please.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2014, 10:19:17 am »

So I misread the list. Much more balanced, though it still heals as health. And yes, I'd be willing to adjust stats tomorrow for the active ability using magic. Once I can figure out a metric.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 685