Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 475652 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: More characters for the character throne!
« Reply #4830 on: August 12, 2014, 02:22:08 am »

Here's a (mostly) science-based weapon concept seeing as laser rifles and ion cannons are actually able to be manufactured in this setting due to technological breakthroughs. Further reading here: A discussion on directed energy weapons; A wikipedia article on plasma acceleration; An article on a high-power low-duration that may theoretically guide lightning;

I haven't gotten ideas for what it would be used for yet, but I suppose it may eventually replace laser rifles due to the minor improvements in terms of self-focusing beams, gyro-stabilized aiming and mana-input in addition to causing potentially life-threatening damage without needing to aim for vital organs. Or I suppose Kasumi might end up with one, or Kaotaro will end up making one, or one will come with the HYDRA frame, or an antagonist will end up fielding one.

WFAC-LPF: A compact particle accelerator that utilizes plasma to accelerate electrons to velocities normally achieved by far larger accelerators. This is primarily due to not being limited by the diaelectic breakdown of the accelerator tube unlike their conventional counterparts. The resultant beam of relativistic electrons can easily pierce 500-1000 meters of air before stopping due to collisions or disintegration. Interactions with air results in the beam self-focusing, preventing spread (however, by itself, it does not ensure that the beam will not suddenly change directions). A high-power, low-duration laser ionizes a path for the beam to use. The net result is a high-accuracy, high-velocity weapon. Its power comes not from burning the target, but rather from delivering lethal doses of ionizing radiation. The discovery that even humans with no magical capabilities do indeed posses a quantity mana allows a power boost to be obtained by any soldier. This is enabled by using an inbuilt mana-siphon circle that is weak enough to be incapable of functioning without user consent, this then feeds into an electrical enchantment that can provide a surge of power to the weapon when necessary. Finally, a magnetic field is used to steer the beam up to 2 degrees off-axis which is then used to offset the inherent jitter in human aiming.
  • Accuracy Bonus
  • Adds a radiation effect that is proportional to damage dealt. This effect debuffs living entities and deals additional damage instead to non-living entities.
  • Enables the following Special Attack:
    • Mana-Input: Drains the user's mana and increases the radiation effect scaling proportional to the input mana. Maximum mana input normally is 10.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: August 12, 2014, 02:26:39 am »

It look cool. And Kasumi will totally use it.

Also, I really want someone who either is on the Northsdale Five, or in major association with them to talk to her so I can show off one of the valuables she brought.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: August 12, 2014, 02:29:47 am »

I like making my gadgets a surprise, especially when a few of them can completely change the face of magical warfare. Mainly because some aspects of magical warfare really suck at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:31:41 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: August 12, 2014, 02:32:21 am »

I have a few ideas myself. The existence of the spell Armor Activation should probably clue one in on what it involves.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: August 12, 2014, 02:39:40 am »

Dammit, you reminded me of the armor suit that MPRA developed that gives mundane humans the ability to project magic to even the playing field... I've been neglecting it.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: August 12, 2014, 02:41:37 am »

Nice to see someone else is working with that intent. After all, the current situation threatens the status quo that the genre relies upon...

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: August 12, 2014, 02:45:12 am »

Effectively, it'll probably give +10 MAG, +5 DR, and -3 SPD. Of course being restricted to people who are completely mundane (persona users included in the restricted people that can't wear it, lore reason pending). I'll right up proper crap when I'm not tired or working the same day.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:03:42 am by Projeck37 »
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:47 am »

Interesting. Personally, however, I envision a future where warfare is dominated by enchantments. One where magic users are not valued due to their power, but rather their flexibility. Units that can adapt to unpredictable environments and do what enchantments cannot rather than one-person armies.

Where it is again strategy and tactics that dominate warfare, not mere brute force. Where, whilst abnormally powerful entities such as the Uncreated can still dominate, the power of the average soldier is far higher than it is now. Something to bring the cabals of mages down. Something to prevent a Murder Night-esque reign from ever occurring again, at least, not without great resistance.

A world where the status quo can survive. Where the structures that we consider to be the hallmarks of society can remain. Where there IS a future not unlike the past rather than one where those have toppled. There always will be another Murder Night, maybe not in Africa, maybe not with the same powers, but it will happen again and I intend for warfare to develop to the point where such a matter may be crushed without issue.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: August 12, 2014, 05:47:49 am »

Straiiiight into the middle of the trap :3
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: August 12, 2014, 05:54:02 am »

In Mary's defense, she had no idea what was going on aside from what looked like a more environmentally-friendly drive-by. Thankfully, she switched forms beforehand though, trading healing power for defensive power. Come to think of it, she is LESS magical in her 'magical' form :P

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: August 12, 2014, 05:54:55 am »

For the record I knew it was a trap, but Stella is kinda emotional when something like this happens, and on the metagaming thing, better her than a squishy, she has plenty of health, defensive stats AND regeneration
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:50 am »

Why the hell is Mary, the person whose healing spells can only heal above 50% accompanied by the glass cannon brigade? At this rate, she'll accidentally kill someone :P

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: August 12, 2014, 06:07:50 am »

Ahhaahhaha

I might have Issei drop in later in the fight, although the pervertedness of this game will probably be turned up to eleven shortly afterwards.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: August 12, 2014, 06:18:04 am »

Seriously, Mary might have to run this turn simply because there could nothing she can do for her teammates short of euthanizing them.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: August 12, 2014, 06:23:10 am »

Heal Kaiser, he's shielding your squishy glass cannon asses.  :P
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 685