Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Random Mech Generator  (Read 9886 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Random Mech Generator
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:10 am »

"I suck at titles" edition.

Ladies and gentlemen. I just found a random mech generator (in pdf form). It is of highest quality, so I am presenting it to you. The ultimate goal being to run a game with it.

Here it is: Link

As you can see it is extremely detailed, with a wide range of possibilities and even a steampunk section.
A game based on it would most certainly be cooperative rather than competitive, as it seems unfair to pit a tiny exoskeleton mecha armed with naught but a pair of light autocanons, against a cold-fusion powered towering monstrosity boasting 25 nuclear warheads, a quad heavy railgun, a deuterium laser beam, an incendiary grenade launcher, a pair of gatlings, an energy shield, can turn invisible, transform into a fighter jet, and is overcharged by the power of friendship. Because both are totally possible.

I imagine that the ideal format would be something of an RPG, with a random team of mechs against hordes of other mechs.
The main problem would then be the potentially huge disparity between the players.

Otherwise it could be a wonderful ressource for anyone running a mech-based game, to generate opponents or whatnot.
Also feel free to post any mech you rolled in this topic.

Contributing with two mechs I rolled:
(everything besides the name originated from rolls on the generator)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:49:41 pm by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Mech Generator
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:55:57 pm »

This sounds interesting; for a while I was trying to figure out a system for random robots for an RtD I wanted to try. It didn't work out; I got the general tables figured out, but got bored around the time I was figuring out the weapons and such. Here's hoping I can adapt this mech generator to such a use!

Of course, I'd like to note something. Some amount of balancing is going to be needed, no matter what, so PvP may not be so impossible.
I don't suppose you could put it on DropBox or something? My antivirus doesn't like your link.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:48:56 pm »

sure thing: here
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »

This is pretty cool. Let me know if you make a game with this.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 04:53:02 pm »

Interesting, but it is a bit unfortunate that it's completely random. Some of the options also seem to be leaning a bit towards "throw it in because it exists" rather than "add it because it's a potentially interesting feature."

Naturally I rolled a test mech; the results were fairly interesting, but also display a handful of the above issues.
Spoiler: T-83 "Shellcracker" (click to show/hide)
Almost seems like more of a safari mech.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »

Head: Deuterium Flouride Laser ("Head mounts reroll head location" haha no they don't)
I think it's meant to be "Main mounts reroll head location", because they're usually too big.
Full Sig

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:46:53 pm »

Head: Deuterium Flouride Laser ("Head mounts reroll head location" haha no they don't)
I think it's meant to be "Main mounts reroll head location", because they're usually too big.
Screw the rules I have headcannon.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »

Screw the rules I have headcannon.

SIGGED.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 06:43:32 pm »

Let's roll.

Spoiler: Raw Traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sales Pitch (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:42:06 pm »

It's neat, I guess, but more explanation on some of this stuff would be nice. So would not giving equal chances to everything. Octopedal mechs, "pillar-erect" posture, head mounts, the later types of armor, polearms, and so forth seem like they could stand to come up less often than more conventional/typical/etc possibilities.
It could work, with modification.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:17 pm »

but more explanation on some of this stuff would be nice.
To be honest, I got kind of a techwank vibe from a lot of this stuff. More options are usually better, and not every difference necessarily needs a practical impact, but I do have to wonder if possible vision modes include radar, sonar, and lidar because they're all subtly different, because they're thematically varied, or because someone wanted to squee about how many types of military sensor technology they knew about. Similar suspicions regarding, say, rolling for caliber- is that there to suggest slow heavy shots versus quick rapid shots, to make some options better or more powerful than others, or because different guns have different calibers and that is SO COOL?

So would not giving equal chances to everything. Octopedal mechs, "pillar-erect" posture, head mounts, the later types of armor, polearms, and so forth seem like they could stand to come up less often than more conventional/typical/etc possibilities.
It could work, with modification.
I think this is part of the more general issue with having a bland/varied flavor. Different people are going to want different things, and this appears to be set in a kind of a generic catchall setting with a few quirks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 12:56:09 pm »

This is most interesting indeed.

Considering I do have a system for a mech combat game lying around, I might actually use this.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:00:49 pm by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 04:51:02 pm »

here's a few designs I rolled(putting them here as to not clutter up 10ebbor's game):

Spoiler: Centurion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Duster (click to show/hide)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 04:57:08 pm »

Your link does not appear to work ???
All the boxes in the .pdf are blank.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 09:14:49 pm »

One thing that's been bugging me.
The mech size gives a number of "SD". Are these Special Defenses or Support Devices?
Sig
Pages: [1] 2