Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Exodus: Escape to the Stars (SG)  (Read 5830 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exodus: Escape to the Stars (SG)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 09:00:00 am »

I also vote for the Red Dwarf System

As we don't know the politics of this place, it would be prudent to stay mobile, instead of becoming sitting ducks on some planet. Let us get an extensive robotic workforce, and then upgrade our ship to something like a seed / mothership. Oh, and I would be all for making backups of our data, just in case.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 09:03:43 am »

Yeah, I'd say we should go for the red dwarf system as well.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 09:07:50 am »

I vote for the yellow star system myself, we're there to make a self-sustaining new homeworld, not a mining colony.
Habitability is the most important criiteria.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 09:41:58 am »

I'm with Kaian. Our food supplies can only support the population we have now, and unless we can expand them, we should head to the yellow star and it's system instead.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 09:49:37 am »

We can always improve our Food supply later. Currently it appears unlikely for our population to improve much, if it all, in the next few years. Industry is more important, as with only a hundred people on this ship, we're not going to do anything ourselves.

Besides, the notion that the plant life on the planet would be anything but a danger to our food supply is ridiculous, but I'm going to ignore that as it's one of the conventions of the genre.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 10:58:58 am »

I vote we visit the red dwarf system.

During the trip, I think we should prepare data packets of cultural works, to serve as trade goods. Try to avoid data that will paint our race as warmongers. (If I was a system governor or whatever, I'd gladly trade a few ships for books and games from an undiscovered alien race.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 11:02:55 am »

We're on the fringe here. Any alien species is unlikely to have ever heard of us. But still preparing a first contact contingency plan is a decent idea.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:08:22 am by 10ebbor10 »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 01:42:49 am »

I agree with Nirur's plan, also Red Dwarf.

We need to make a backup of our data if possible.

On arrival we should start mining and make several fully automated mining drones.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 09:59:25 am »

Any planet that can support life is one we want.

Go for the yellow star.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 10:00:35 am »

We should stay mobile, and just cause it can support life doesn't mean the life that we may find will be compatible life.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 10:12:10 am »

It's a lot easy to create a new biosphere if all the conditions are already in place. Even if we have to replace the entire biosphere, it's still easier than making one from scratch. If there's plantlife, there's oxygen, and even if we have to wear a mask to keep out murder-pollen at least we won't need spacesuits to take a walk in the park.

We need at least 80 people to maintain a stable population - with social engineering and no reproductive freedom. People will have to breed when and with whom the scientists decide. Really, double that would be preferable.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 10:16:33 am »

Actually, it's not.

Logic dictates that most things on this new planet, from whatever trees there are, to the tiniest little algae, will not be recognized by the human body, and will therefore trigger a deadly allergic reaction. This means that in order to make the planet safe, you would need to burn everything down to the ground, and then try to reseed.

It's much easier, especially with our low population, to rely on controlled hydroponics systems or enclosed biospheres, as we already do.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 10:21:21 am »

I say no planet. We need to stay in space.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 10:33:25 am »

Logic dictates that most things on this new planet, from whatever trees there are, to the tiniest little algae, will not be recognized by the human body
I'll remind you that this is also the case on Earth. Hell, even human tissue isn't recognized by another human body, and will trigger a deadly allergic reaction.

While local flora and fauna will likely be unedible or frankly toxic, as long as you don't eat it there should be little problems.
Space syphillis is not even likely, as us and local organisms may well be too different for virii and bacterias to survive inside us.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 10:36:25 am »

They don't need to survive within us to trigger an allergic reaction by being in the air we breath.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5