Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Exodus: Escape to the Stars (SG)  (Read 5836 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Exodus: Escape to the Stars (SG)
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »

The yellow system's still going to have asteroids to fill that mining itch.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2014, 01:10:50 pm »

That isn't really a compromise. It's just a disguised vote for the Yellow star system.

We weren't going to land on the terrestrial planet (our ship doesn't do landing, after all), so the shuttles were going to be used. Secondly, we don't know if the system has adequate reserves to allow for easy construction of a low cost high gain mining operation. Most likely it doesn't, meaning that we will be bound to the system for prolonged amounts of time.

Let's keep it a straight vote.

Besides, the main argument behind the red dwarf system isn't mobility, it's economics and immediate needs. We have a population only a hundred people, so we will need robotic systems, which means we will need significant amounts of resources. We won't need a liveable biosphere outside our ship soon, as our population expansion will be neglible for the near future.

The yellow system's still going to have asteroids to fill that mining itch.
The majority of asteroids is actually useless for mining operations.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 01:12:20 pm »

But, not being a vast consumer of resources at this point in time, we don't need much. We can always expand to planet-stripmining later if we have to.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 01:17:50 pm »

*Kevak summons several thousand hands and face palms with them* Gig, you literally just ignored his entire point. We Need robotic systems. Those Need materials. Consumer products have absolutely nothing to do with this. And no, we Can't stripmine the planet later, we Don't have the systems or the capabilities for it and will Not easily gain them in the yellow system.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 01:18:32 pm »

But, not being a vast consumer of resources at this point in time, we don't need much. We can always expand to planet-stripmining later if we have to.
We will be in the future. Our consumption of resources is going to rise faster than our consumption of food, especially as we do have a self sustaining food supply.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 01:20:06 pm »

I vote for the Red Dwarf for the short term. We can colonize the terrestrial world afterwards.

There is no mention of any asteroid belt in the yellow star system. I wouldn't bet on there being one.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2014, 01:43:27 pm »

I guess people are forgetting that unless something goes wrong, we don't need to stay in the red dwarf system. This is just going to be a resource and industry building trip so we can more efficiently colonize a system with our VERY limited workforce(unless you really think we can set up a viable colony with only 110 people >_>)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2014, 01:45:41 pm »

I can go along with that so long as there's a moratorium on deploying our colony start-up equipment in the system.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:18 pm »

well, unless we can build terraforming equipment that lets us build up an entire planet's atmosphere, I doubt we'd do that since the description of the system implies none of the rocky bodies have any atmosphere worth that name. I don't think you have anything to worry about :D
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2014, 02:02:26 pm »

Eh, I wouldn't waste time terraforming. Besides, a lifeless world becoming a verdant paradise is going to attract attention.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2014, 02:45:13 pm »

I was saying it'd be easier to adapt a planet that has sort of the atmosphere than trying to build up one from scratch. Since there are none that fit that description in the red system, I don't think we'd be wasting our time terraforming there

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »

What makes me facepalm the most is people talking about economics when we have 112 people and nobody to economics with.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »

Ok then Kaian, what would you do then? Give us a good illustration

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2014, 02:51:58 pm »

No, I can see his point: there's not much point talking about large scale economics when we're not large scale. We don't need vast quantities of resources to begin with, either for construction or trade.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »

oh. Huh. I don't think I was implying we'd be that large scale. For clarification's sake, I was only really wanting to build enough robotics and cloning labs we'd be able to really start growing our pop once we settled down
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5