Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 15683 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!
« on: June 08, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »

Roll to Innovate

This will be a short game whose events take place alongside Roll for Hire. The OP of that game, and more importantly the lore sections, are essentially required reading for this. My apologies. Each player will be a member of a different guild, so we will have five players. The goal of the game is to provide some substantial innovation for you guild, while remaining within the resources of the Altera Valley. This could be a new product, a new process, higher efficiency, whatever you like. Your portion of the game ends when you meet your goal, and if your contribution is substantial your goal, and character, will show up in the lore of Altera, or even as a notable current event for the mercenaries.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Applications will be selected based off of the strength of their proposal for contributing to the guild in question. This includes a) how substantial the contribution will be, b) how relevant the proposal is, c) how innovative the proposal is (please be at least a little creative), and d) how feasible it is within the resources of the Altera Valley.

Spoiler: Sample Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:34:31 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Now Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:51:42 pm »

Current Players:
Harry Baldman (Iktaka Moddri: Carpenter)
The Froggy Ninja (George Thain: Mage)
_DivideByZero_ (Bane Willedhelm: Marichemist)
IcyTea31 (Herman Tongs: Allosmith)
Playergamer (Wol Fann: Herbalist)

Waitlist:
Harry Baldman (Alanku Kuthbin: Allosmith)
Harry Baldman (Murgrum Mertanpri: Herbalist)
flabort (Micheal Kint: Marichemist)
Rune (Rune Allost: Allosmith)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:22:35 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:39:09 am »

I'll actually post a set of sheets, so you can put me in a spot that nobody else has applied for if such a case were to develop.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:48:36 am by Harry Baldman »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:46:53 am »

Edit: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:00:37 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:08:17 pm »

((Blitz: You really need to read the OP or roll for hire. Your Specialty doesn't make sense.))
Name: George Thain
Guild: Mages
Specialty: Spell Sense
Notable Characteristics: Is a lucid dreamer. Totes friends with ghosts.
Proposal: To spelunk in the many caves of Altera Valley and use a thin spread of magical energy to sense for new crystal types.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:54 pm »

Is this FCFS, or will reserving a spot while I read the post mean nothing? :P

EDIT: Alright here we go.

Name: Bane Willedhelm
Guild: Marichemists
Specialty: Harpoon fisher
Notable Characteristics: Lost his left little and ring ringers to a large fish. Has several tooth-shaped scars scattered over his arms and legs.
Proposal: Learn the secrets of the magic crystals found in Koriscove's megafauna, using them to develop new power sources and weapons to combat the creatures.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:27:07 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »

Is this FCFS, or will reserving a spot while I read the post mean nothing? :P
It's not FCFS, take your time to read and think up a good concept :)
My Area

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 11:19:26 pm »

Name: Azeriel Victus
Specialty: Animation (Creating golems, etc.)
Notable Characteristics: Has a short temper and have an interest in the theories on necromancy.
Proposal: Creating fully-functional organic prosthetics and other installable body modifications.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 05:50:47 am »

Okay, done! Three sheets, posted in order of priority. Let me know if any of the three concepts are stupid or untenable.

Name: Azeriel Victus
Specialty: Animation (Creating golems, etc.)
Notable Characteristics: Has a short temper and have an interest in the theories on necromancy.
Proposal: Creating fully-functional organic prosthetics and other installable body modifications.

I... think you might need to read the lore section of Roll To Hire as well. Magic's a bit less sophisticated than you seem to think here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 05:53:59 am »

Augh, remind me why I even try. My ideas are not even good.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 05:59:02 am »

Augh, remind me why I even try. My ideas are not even good.

Well, magic here is really used for three things - blowing up magic rocks, pushing yourself away from magic rocks and pulling yourself toward magic rocks. And anchoring, which also does stuff. But no spells or anything, though things with magic rock shrapnel in them tend to do fun things related to movement (except humans, who just plain die).

The trouble is, this isn't exactly your regular fantasy universe (although orcs and goblins are present), and carefully reading that lore section is advised, as detailed in the OP. There's good ideas to peel out of that, it's just that some reading needs to be done.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 06:02:20 am »

The player list will be full by the time I get rested anyways.
I'm not very good at scrambling over for games it seem.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 06:03:43 am »

While I've decided not to play, you could theoretically fly by using the push mechanic to push yourself away from the ground, constantly. You'd probably die from exertion, though.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 08:18:18 am »

We have three lore friendly characters, and I applaud you guys on thinking of creative ways to work within the valley! So what we're gonna do is start you three off right now, and people are welcome to post Herbalist and Allosmith sheets, which can then be added into the game. There won't be much player-player interaction anyway.

Turn 0: Limited Supplies

Iktaka Modri
Modri waited anxiously for The Circle to announce their decision. Her proposal hadn't gone perfectly; she could tell that they thought she was getting away from the core purpose of the Guild. The way they saw it carpenters shaped wood, they didn't work with crystals. But she also knew that The Circle was looking for any opportunity to expand the influence of their relatively minor guild, and in all reality her proposal didn't demand much in the way of resources...

"Mistress Modri, your project has been funded. You will be given access to scrapwood from other projects until you give us a proof of concept test, and you will be given a purse of 130 iron shillings to purchase whatever resources you need outside of the Guild. The Circle wishes you the best of luck in your endeavors, and will monitor your project with interest."

The Voice was also so formal, but Modri supposed that was his job. She felt elated they had given her funding, though she was surprised she was relegated to using scrapwood. She had thought they had an excess of wood available, but the Forestry Division was always changing the rate at which wood could be harvested; maybe it was low right now.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

George Thain
The Headmaster looked at George suspiciously, then back down at his proposal. He pulled what looked to be a budget report over and glanced through it before looking again at George. It still wasn't a friendly look.

"I've been told you can 'sense' crystals by those I trust. Nobody seems to understand it, and I'm not sure its not some parlor trick. I think the chances of you finding a crystal in one of those caves is much lower than finding a goblin. But either discovery would suite my needs. You know there are young Novices attempting to replicate your feats? None have been able, and several have been injured trying to overexert themselves and extend those energy nets you keep talking about. So yes, I will fund your project, not because you'll succeed, but because you'll be away from here. You'll be given a force crystal and a fair sized purse to get what you need. My advice: hire a guide. But then, you might actually come back if you do."

With that the Headmaster went back to his budget reports. George thought that was slightly unappreciative, given he had actually found a way to discover new crystals. But it was true that his actions had caused quite a stir. He, and he alone so far, could sense crystals. All he was doing was putting out tendrils of energy and waiting to feel one of them be 'tugged' as a crystal accepted it. It seemed simple to him. Maybe the others would catch on soon.

Bane Willedhelm
"You're a good man, Bane. Some of my less ambitious advisers have suggested this is some sort of revenge attempt, rather than an attempt to expand the Guild. But it seems to me this has real potential. It may be that what we're catching out of the cove is simply too small to properly examine their crystals. I don't know how much success you'll have, those beasts are dangerous. But we're going to give you a small purse, and some good Sea Silver harpoons. We hope they serve you well."

The Admiral had always looked on Bane with favor, and this proposal had been right up his alley. Bane had never doubted it would be approved, but he also knew that he annoyed some others within the Guild by doing this. Hunting the behemoths was not, by and large, as profitable as harvesting the the smaller creatures that brought themselves into the cove, from whom any number of restorative or poisonous concoctions could be brewed and sold. Nonetheless, he had his funding.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:40:28 am by Samarkand »
My Area

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Calling all Alchemists and Allosmiths
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 08:31:43 am »

((Wait, are the Alchemist and Herbalist guilds the same thing?))

Moddri was very much elated by these news! A pitch had succeeded, and this was the most important part of any scientific project - from here on in, it was in her hands, and those of twisted Mother Nature.

First question: do I have access to any living trees?

Second question: how much do small magical crystal fragments cost to obtain?

Third question: how much purchasing power is 130 iron shillings, exactly?

Fourth question: what is 'scrapwood' in this context, exactly?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16