Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 15701 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Now Recruiting
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 04:38:06 pm »

((Yeah, that's been a point of inconsistency in my writing, I've used the two interchangeably. It is meant to be the Herbalists Guild, and I'm going through my writing and correcting that. Thanks for pointing it out. :) ))

Turn 0.1: Modri's Questions Answered

Iktaka Modri
[Access to live trees: Moderate=9]
The Voice gave quick consideration to her questions before darting inside the eclectically adorned wooden building where the Circle convened.

"The Forestry Division has granted you limited access their controlled growth areas. They only ask that you limit your activities to as few trees as can be used to accomplish your research. As to the value of your allowance, the Circle feels it should be sufficient to purchase the quality of materials necessary to test your hypothesis. Certainly fragmented shards cannot be worth too much to the Mages Guild. The suggestion of the Circle is that you make that inquiry in Varisport, or at least near there.

The scrapwood you will be given consists of wood deemed flawed for its original purpose in some way. There will be limbs that were too small, or were split. It also includes boards that were found to be too knotty. The Circle trusts that these sorts of imperfections will do little to detract from your research.

If you find yourself in need of more funds or better materials, the Circle is willing to consider an expansion of your allowance provided you can procure some evidence that your inquiry will bear fruit.

Thank you for your service to this Guild, Mistress Modri, but it is time that other petitioners were heard."

With that the Voice ushered her away, and began to hear a case of a damage complaint, still coming in from the War. There were a lot of those, and Modri wasn't sure all of the people bringing forward complaints now had really suffered those damages two months ago; it was, however, nearly impossible to verify the source of the damage. Soon the Circle would have to put an end to paying reparations.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

((As a more direct answer to your purchasing power question, 130 iron shilllings is quite a bit, provided you aren't trying to buy any metal arms or armor. Not going to buy you top notch materials, but it will go fairly far if you comprise a bit on quality.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Calling all Herbalists and Allosmiths
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 08:24:44 pm »

"Excellent. The possibilities are endless, and there are vast opportunities to be explored here. Just one of the behemoths could feed thousands, if only we could bring it down without losing so many..."

Bane had his plan firmly set in his mind: He was not up against any normal fish. He would need something capable of bringing down a monster of huge proportions, most likely capable of bringing down an entire ship. Something potent had to be procured... fearing that poisons made from creatures of the cove would be rendered ineffective against larger monsters of the same cove, he had to go to Varisport to find someone capable of slaying such a beast.

Look for a means of travel. A caravan, for example.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 12:33:11 am »

"Most excellent. Well, let's get to it, then!"

To Varisport! Inquire as to the prices of small magical crystal shards - given that they're practically industrial waste, they shouldn't be too expensive, should they? Don't buy any just yet, of course.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 01:14:54 am »

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:36:27 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 11:48:25 am »

Since a guide would most likely be less useful in the event of a greenskin attack than an armed guard I go to the inn the mercenary group set up in.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »

My character sheet is done, see my previous post.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - One slot still open!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 05:21:58 pm »

Turn 1: Travelling

Iktaka Modri
Pleased with the Circle’s further commitment to support her research, Modri resolved to travel to Varisport to find inexpensive waste shards. [Travel: Moderate=11] She found a guild cart that was headed towards Varisport. She was incredibly fortunate, a Guild imperative stated that guildmembers must support the travel of their fellows, unless there was evidence that doing so would severely inhibit their ability to carry out their original travel purpose. Since the cart was clearly not overburdened, carrying small artisan sculptures, they gave her a ride to Varisport free of any charge. [Inquire as to price: Simple=3] Despite her travel success, Modri experienced difficulties getting any sort of quote on broken shards. A toothless man on the side of a street tried to sell her crystals for “the most remarkable strange ever mined,” but irrespective of his strange request Modri doubted he had any crystals, and as she left she noticed he made a similar appeal to a stray dog. Most other commoners gave her disgruntled answers that the Mages Guild would be a better place to ask than the docks. Probably sound advice…

George Thain
George had no interest of meeting the fate that the Headmaster apparently had planned for him. Rumors circulating Varisport suggested that a person with an appropriately loose purse could hire some brute force for any variety of different tasks. These same gossips would spread any number of other unlikely tales, but these particular rumors often came with more detail than the clearly fabricated ones did. Including, most importantly, a location. [Find Mercenaries: Moderate= 7] It wasn’t an easy task, per se, but it was far from impossible. A number of inquiries had to be made in small villages, but as he got closer the information got better, until he found an inn with five armed individuals speaking in the doorway, the innkeeper having just dashed off. ((Make Contract offers at the Roll for Hire IC thread. Provided your contract is accepted, all actions will be carried out in this (the Roll to Innovate) thread.))

Bane Willedhelm
Bane felt even more confident in his capabilities now that he held the gorgeous harpoons. They gleamed brilliantly in the sun, and he knew they would hold that sheen even out in salt water, making them an invaluable resource. Their edge would stay true, but Bane also knew not to be overconfident, even with such elegant weaponry. His years of dealing with frightening creatures of the sea gave him the wisdom to search out help before undertaking this fearsome task. He would go Varisport, and make inquiries there.

[Travel: Moderate=10] The proximity of Korinscove to Varisport and their close trade connections made it easy to make the trip. Most comfortable with aquatic means of mobility, he opted to hitch a ride on a small boat carrying fish. The combination of his Guild garb and his valuable weapons apparently made him look rather important, because the fishers executed a number of bows before offering him a free trip to Varisport.

Herman Tongs
((Nice sheet, gave me an excuse to do some reading on casting techniques. :) ))

The Forgemaster practically had to yell just to be heard over the sound of his hammer slamming into the metal resting on the anvil under it.

”Higher efficiency in casting? Never liked casting myself! Nothing quite like hitting metal with a hammer! Connects you to what you make!” His telegraphic sentence were punctuated by the resonance of metal being struck. ”I’ll give you the metals! Hear that casting stuff is more efficient! Efficiency is good! You’ll get some bronze, and some money! Give me diagrams or something if you want more!”

The shield he had been shaping took form, a bronze kite shield that looked to be the perfect example of its kind. ”That’s what real smithing is, let’s see if your casting can do the same, or at least do something quickly. Now, so those weaklings in Varisport can sleep knowing they won’t fall to my shield…” The Forgemaster held the shield upside down, so the point stood away from the anvil, and cast his Mage Guild “attendants” a significant look before smashing the shield into a formless lump with a couple of blows from his hamer.

My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 05:35:36 pm »

Bane knew exactly what he was looking for... but whom was the question. He needed to find a mage capable of utilizing the power of the tortoise boulders. While he himself lacked the skills needed to make his plans come to fruition, he was well-versed in the sort of talking and manipulation needed to get people to risk their lives. Fate is a cruel mistress, and Bane had grown accustomed to the fact that people die, more often in his profession than most.

Head to the Mage's guild, look for young people that might be willing to adventure.

((This is assuming my character has basic knowledge of the other city states and what they are known for. If not, I'll rewrite this.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »

Bane knew exactly what he was looking for... but whom was the question. He needed to find a mage capable of utilizing the power of the tortoise boulders. While he himself lacked the skills needed to make his plans come to fruition, he was well-versed in the sort of talking and manipulation needed to get people to risk their lives. Fate is a cruel mistress, and Bane had grown accustomed to the fact that people die, more often in his profession than most.

Head to the Mage's guild, look for young people that might be willing to adventure.

((This is assuming my character has basic knowledge of the other city states and what they are known for. If not, I'll rewrite this.))
((Yup, the guilds and their natures are common knowledge.))
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 05:41:24 pm »

If I may submit a sheet...

Name: Wol Fann
Guild: Herbalists
Specialty: Non-lethal Neurotoxins
Notable Characteristics: Reclusive, and a little paranoid.
Proposal: Wol has a plan for a knockout powder that, along with knocking out the target or user, also slightly alters their memory of the event. He plans to mix in assorted healing herbs to prevent any brain damage, as well.

Does that sound about right?
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 05:45:01 pm »

If I may submit a sheet...

Name: Wol Fann
Guild: Herbalists
Specialty: Non-lethal Neurotoxins
Notable Characteristics: Reclusive, and a little paranoid.
Proposal: Wol has a plan for a knockout powder that, along with knocking out the target or user, also slightly alters their memory of the event. He plans to mix in assorted healing herbs to prevent any brain damage, as well.

Does that sound about right?

((Yup, that sheet works well. :) Your intro will be in the next turn post, or can be edited into the just-posted one. Your choice.))
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 05:47:04 pm »

((Next turn, then.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 06:03:49 pm »

"I'm guessing you're the sell swords? I have a contract: You will function as my armed guard while I explore the various caves in this valley looking for new types of crystals using a thinly spread out layer of crackle and sensing for anomalies. We will likely encounter greenskins. If we survive I will pay you 100 iron shillings as well as samples of any crystals we have multiple of."

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 06:05:49 pm »

"I'm guessing you're the sell swords? I have a contract: You will function as my armed guard while I explore the various caves in this valley looking for new types of crystals using a thinly spread out layer of crackle and sensing for anomalies. We will likely encounter greenskins. If we survive I will pay you 100 iron shillings as well as samples of any crystals we have multiple of."
((You can do all of that communication in RfH, since it's communication with those players. When it comes time for more actions you'll transition over to here, along with whoever you recruit. Pitching: that thread. Acting: this thread. Should make communication easiest.))
My Area

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 1: Travelling
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 07:36:50 pm »

"Oh, I did not specify methods of casting, efficiency could be increased in many pther things as well. For example, who said a hammer has to be swung by an arm? If I, say, attach a big hammer to a machine capable of generating force, the "smith" can strike with much greater power, if not as accurately, and will never tire."

((I don't suppose the steam engine has been invented yet? Could I get to be the James Watt of this universe?))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16