Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 15712 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 26: Scalemail
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2014, 02:34:22 pm »

Aha! Exciting things happened while I was camping.

Harry: I would also try boiling the oily substance to find out what it becomes. Find out what properties it has as a solid or gas, depending on whether it boils down to a salt.

PGamer: Whoohoo! Awesome, you've got a working product. Sure, it's a might bit expensive to produce, as you need to harvest two different plants and import the salt, not to mention the work of getting the ratios right and extracting the oils, but it's a working product!
Perhaps if my suspicions of Harry's oil is correct, you could boil that down into a salty-crystally powder instead of importing it from Koriscove, and have two sources of a salt to powder your toxin's oils.
Oh, and you can even just throw it in a guy's face. Ease of use, you can charge even more for it. :P

IcyTea: You haven't had as much activity while I was away, but that's definitely progress. Awesome! Crystal plates on their way, and galvanized pipes ready. You should just need to assemble and test it after this, right?

Divide: I'd recommend showing some of those teeth and a crystal. Those teeth may, however, be considered weapons, so they may be confiscated, but if you say you intend to extract substances from them if they do turn out to be weapons quality, you should be able to keep them; However, since the crystals are your real prize, only show him the medium-sized crystal. The one that fits in your palm.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2014, 03:24:55 pm »

You should just need to assemble and test it after this, right?
((There's little else I can do as my resources dwindle than try to shoot the moon; hopefully there won't be any more complications. If I do succeed and get the power hammers standardized, though, I've pretty much won the game for my part, having completed my ultimate goal. Only time will tell.))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »

Bane stepped back for a moment. Politics was not his thing. He had expected, honestly, to go down fighting, or at least sustain some injury. To him, this would have been a far better death than to perish in a conflict that would result from his adventures.

Clearing his throat, he spoke:
"What is important to note, here, is that the Mages have no experience in fishing, let alone fighting giant beasts. They have no idea how to keep a ship together. So if there is any sort of partnership between us and them in order to hunt more of these creatures, it is almost certain we will be the ones in control of the catch."

He fumbled around in his bag, removing the palm-sized crystal from the iron shillings rustling about, making sure to create extra noise with his fingers as to hide the presence of the larger one.
Holding it out in front of him, he explained that it was some sort of crystal, similar to that of the boulders, and continued.
"If we convince them that the crystals are the most valuable good from the beasts, for their research or whatever, they will be distracted. Each beast only has a very small quantity of the stuff, so they will depend heavily on our own infrastructure to cut the beasts up and remove the crystals. If we treat the scales like trash that must be sheared away from the corpse, they won't get suspicious and we'll be able to keep most of the carcasses for ourselves, perhaps providing them bones and the like for display purposes."

He then moved over to the cabinet where he hid the teeth. Creaking the door open very slightly, he removed a set of teeth and suggested that the guild run some experiments to see if the teeth are sharp enough to be used as a weapon against the scales.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:05:46 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2014, 07:00:33 am »

I'd like to give this a bit of a bump, considering how much I enjoy the game.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »

I second this notion.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2014, 08:43:16 pm »

I second this notion.
+1
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2014, 08:46:24 pm »

A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2014, 10:07:04 pm »

I second this notion.
+1
+1
+1
A) Thank you so much for your support!
B) I promise I'll have an update tomorrow, and then I'll try to get back into a regular rhythm.
C) Thank you again!!
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2014, 09:29:18 pm »

Turn 27: Taste's Like… Sand

Iktaka Modri
[Moar Money?: Luck=9] The Circle seemed willing to support further research. Modri was one of the most active investigators at the moment, and her project was showing lots of results. This approval came in the form of seventy shillings.

[Better lens?: Luck=11] Modri was also able to acquire a better lens. Or more correctly Farrek was. He said one of his old dissection colleagues owed him a favor, and they had used rather powerful lenses for examining some specimens.

Spoiler: Test 18 Rolls (click to show/hide)
The leaves showed no obvious external differences, but at the base of each stem was a bulb that was just barely noticeable, and seemed to hold that strange sap. It was easiest to see when the leaf was held to the sun; there was a small region where the petiole met the blade that lacked green pigmentation, making it let much more light through. The roots also contained the phloem alterations found in the rest of the tree, but were otherwise unremarkable. In some of the smaller branches the overall ratio between phloem area to the total cross-sectional area was dramatically increased by the structures, but it was again merely repeating the motif found in the trunk: macroscopic structures within the phloem which appeared to transport a new sap. The pigs were unaffected by the liquid, though they did not appear to enjoy it. All present agreed that it felt oily, but also a little grainy, a weird combination that was hard to place. It's taste was mildly unpleasant, but unremarkable; the texture was the noteworthy bit. Boiling the liquid off left behind a granular coating almost like a very fine sand. When vigorously shook with water the liquid would form small bubbles which would cloud the solution, but eventually separate out. It was noted that the water would gain a slightly yellow coloration to it, but if any of the new liquid was soluble it was only a very very small amount, found by measuring the volume before and after mixing, admittedly a suboptimal measurement.

[Farrek Recovered?: Luck=5] Farrek wasn't quite ready to get back to work yet, but he was looking better. He should be ready by the time they reached Paludan.

Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

+ 70 shillings
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
"A crystal! Great! Mages'll give anything for new crystals. This should hook them for at least a few of the beasts. They'll ask more questions eventually, but we'll have a short stretch of peaceful fishing. Hey, we've got ourselves a mage right here! Porridge, what does this one do?"

Bane neglected to mention the other two crystals. Don't give away the whole catch indeed. He did proffer up the a few teeth for testing against the scales. [Testing: Luck=4] The teeth could only penetrate after repeated strikes. Either this thing was the top of the food chain, or there were some very sharp-teethed creatures out there looking for a giant sized meal…

Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Give le money: Simple=5] 70 shillings changed hands and the merchants were off, promising to return soon. But for now, Herman had free time.

- 70 shillings, 1 Turn till delivery

Wol Fann
[Show it to Grandmaster: Luck=11] ”Now that is what you had been promising!This is actually marketable. And better yet, I don't even have to trust your word on its effectiveness, there's a slew of people who been vending their wares in the market who can attest to the success of your product. Thanks you for your service to the Guild, new products like this might just keep this Guild afloat. How can we reward you?"

You've completed your goal. Would you like to retire, or pursue new research, or do you have something else in mind?

My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 27: Tastes Like… Sand!
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »

Very well.

Arrange the teeth out on the floor, dividing them between piles based on size. How big are the smallest? See if I can make a necklace out of the smallest ones if they are small enough. If not, make a necklace out of some individual scales. Then look for advice as to selling the teeth, looking for museums or collectors if there are any.

Also, Have Podri try rolling the crystal around on the table if he feels that it is safe. Try to stand somewhat in front of him, just to shield part of his body in case it explodes.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2014, 11:22:32 pm »

Hmm...How about a easily stored, easily transported mix that, when spread over a wound, nullifies pain and speeds up the healing process?

(Basically Bacta.)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:57 pm »

Find/make a good spot for the machine, considering it's quite large and I probably won't be able to move it again without disassembling it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2014, 04:25:36 am »

To the Traitor Bean! Engage in Test 20 once there! Hope Farrek rests adequately - make sure to give him plenty of space and help him recover. Have to take good care of my good friends, yes?

Spoiler: Test 20: Inheritance (click to show/hide)

Make sure to take along that powder I got from the CS, and try Test 19 on the way.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2014, 03:50:08 pm »

Turn 28: What does this crystal do? *Poke

Iktaka Modri
[Farrek, you up?: Luck=10] Farrek is more than ready to get back to work. While he enjoyed his time off, and it was good for him, he feels much more himself when he is analyzing living things.

Spoiler: Test 19 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Along the way to Paludan the team got started testing the powder. The color was white, though it wasn’t, as Farrek termed it, color by pigment, rather it was color by disruption. He said that he had met a man who studied how color worked, and he said white was tricky. White things were white, and clear things were clear, but only if they were large and flat. If they got small and irregular they both looked white, and Farrek suspected that’s what had happened here. The powder didn’t dissolve in water; it’s mass remained the same before being passed through water and after. With oil it’s mass appeared to increase. Modri knew that oil solubility was more challenging to measure; latent water would evaporate while latent oil would remain and increase the mass, particularly for light sample of fine substances, exactly like they were using. So they couldn’t say if some might have dissolved, but they knew that most all of it had not.

Spoiler: Test 20 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Taking samples and analyzing them was becoming downright pedestrian, especially with Farrek and Modri both looking at them. In only one tree was it questionable, and after some discussion they determined that it was not CC, and the structure Farrek thought he saw was an artefact. The first grove they visited was all CC, the second was all not, and the third was all CC, this having been determined by sampling sizes of 7, 6, and 8 trees at the groves, respectively.

+ 70 shillings
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Piles of teeth: Luck=7] Bane began to divide the teeth into rough categories based off of their size. The smallest category had teeth that were the size of the last joint of his pinky finger. [Necklace Make: Moderate=8] Bane was no jeweler, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t make a necklace. Some string and some teeth, put them together, and voila, a necklace. He was even smart enough to vary the size, so slightly larger teeth were placed at the bottom of the necklace. He thought they looked quite nice, and he was sure they could sell well; especially if word had gotten out that he had hauled a behemoth in.

[Test Crystals: Moderate=6, 5, 12] None of the crystals moved. But that was maybe good, Podri said. If they’d moved they probably would have been the same type. The small and medium crystals had no apparent function when Podri pushed energy straight into them. The large crystal resulted in some sort of wave of energy that knocked all of the men down and caused their ears to ring. Not quite an explosion, but still a boom, it seemed to be a compression wave that radiated from the crystal.

Herman Tongs
[Find a place to put my stuff: Simple=5] It took some looking, but eventually Herman found a room that was planned to be used for future workshops and had proper ventilation.  Shortly after he cleaned up this space and moved everything into it the merchants arrived back, bearing a beautiful crystal disk. It somehow made the project feel much more real, despite it being the only part Herman didn’t fully understand. He now had everything necessary to assemble his novel contraption.

+Crystal Disk

Wol Fann
You’ve been given your starting resources in addition to what you had left over. Please purge your inventory of items you will no longer use.

Wol decided the next great need was for a salve that could be used to treat wounds as they occurred, meaning it had to numb pain, be easy to transport, and not expire quickly. He had little enough experience in the field, but his previous success had emboldened him.

+ 50 Guild credits, + 40 iron shillings, Character Sheet Update
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
My Area

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16