Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 15715 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 1: Travelling
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 08:02:57 pm »

Turn 1.1: An Interested Smith

Herman Tongs
((No reason why not, but it'll take some work.))

The Forgemaster seemed intrigued by this explanation of the idea.

”Well there's a thought... I must say, I'm not liking the fact that you think you could build something stronger than me, but I must admit the idea has some merit... Doesn't change your allocation. Work with bronze, show me some intermediary and you'll get more."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »

"Very well. Time to get to the drawing board and make this real."

Plan out the following device, see what and how much I need to create one: Standing on four legs, a normal-sized hammer spring-loaded, with a crank to turn. Turning the crank ratchets the hammer to a new spring-load, launching at a surface when at capacity of energy. The crank can be kept on being turned, striking with the hammer at an even frequency. The steam hammer can wait, gotta start small. And of course, high-quality machine components are probably expensive and/or hard to make.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 12:41:30 am »

Visit the Mages' Guild and attempt to get a price on crystal shards of minimal sizes there.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 09:41:41 pm »

Turn 2: Wheeling and Dealing

Iktaka Modri
[Inquire after Crystals at Mages Guild: Moderate=8] The Mages Guild was definitely the place to make this sort of inquiry. A couple of younger looking sorts tried to sell her crystals cheap, but Modri was smart enough to ask to see the goods first, to which the would be scammer wandered off. Eventually she found a significantly more austere individual to ask after, and she was finally met with a sensible answer.

She was directed to a mage apparently in charge of a project to try and recombine shattered crystals. A circle of mages focused very intently on a single crystal in the center of the circle, seemingly composed of a number of shards. It wavered in the air, apparently stable. For a second Modri’s heart sank, as she suspected they were going to be successful in recombining the shard. That would make the price steep indeed. Then, suddenly, the crystal shook a little too violently and blew to pieces. The shards were suddenly flying towards the mages, who dove behind small wooden walls, apparently erected for this purpose. Soon the walls had clusters of shards embedded in them. One mage’s leg also caught a shard, eliciting a flurry of activity from medics taking the shard out, inspecting the wound. They even cut it deeper, taking extra flesh away to ensure extraction of the crystal. After this farce of an experiment, Modri suspected she would get the crystals for a low price indeed.

She approached the one she had originally had pointed out to her as the commotion died down, and inquired after shards. He looked beat down by the incident, and offered her a small crate for 30 iron shillings. The crate might have been small, but those shards were awfully small too…

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was still stuck in negotiations with the mercenaries, who appeared to mostly dodge his questions through strange riddles.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Find Adventurous Young Mages: Moderate=7] Believe it or not most people who signed up for the Mages Guild aren’t the overly adventurous type. At least at first they are usually recruited based off of intelligence and force of will. But after getting a number of quick refusals Bane did find a rather ambitious mage who was eager to get a part in the discovery of new crystals. He also looked physically fit enough to do well out at sea. The problem was his demand…

”Yeah, I can come with. 20 iron shillings now, 20 when we succeed. I’m missing my usual work you know. Oh, and I get insider prices on the new crystals, and first access to them, as soon as your selling them of course. If this works, I’ll shoot straight up the ranks.”

Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Plan: Simple=4] Herman had brilliant plans dancing around in his head. He could picture hammers pounding away regularly at metal, forming shields, swords, and tools with precision and efficiency. There would be springs, and cranks, and steam, and workers, and chains, and anvils… But the plans danced too quickly, and suddenly they’d lost the beat. How did all of those parts fit together again? It was hard to get the idea to stay together in his head…

Wol Fann
Grandmaster Jorun looked tired, and far older than his 48 years. Wol felt a brief pang of sympathy for the man whose life had been hit so hard by the war.

”You know we don’t have many financial resources. Three months ago you would have had anything you could feasibly desire; this is a very practical project. Now I can give you access to the gardens here in Paludan, as well as the surrounding forest. Novice Alice should be able to direct you to the most relevant parts of the forest to the north of here. You’ll have a workbench in the Investigative Herbalism building. For now you’ll just have a mortar and pestle. You’ve also been allotted 40 iron shillings for purchases outside the Guild, and 50 credits good for purchases within the Guild. My apologies on the tight budget… It’s not my choice…”

The Grandmaster looked briefly at Wol before walking off, his shoulders hunched from the weight of the knowledge that he was responsible for the Guild, and the fact that it couldn’t give researchers the funds it should be able to.

My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 2: Wheeling and Dealing
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 10:10:19 pm »

"Hm, I'm glad you've got enthusiasm, but I've only just started assembling a party. Are you willing to accompany me as I search for tortoise boulders? I will need you to detonate at least one if my plan is to come to fruition, but if we can't even get our hands on one, I'm afraid it will all be in vain."

Promise to pay him as soon as we set off, in the meantime, offer 5 shillings right now, regardless of whether or not we succeed.

Then, go search for ways to acquire a tortoise boulder.  Look for both lawful and unlawful means.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 10:39:30 pm »

Retry proper planning, maybe with another small tool. The entire point of a plan is to keep the idea on paper.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:13:46 pm by IcyTea31 »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:03 pm »

"I appreciate that you have done what you can do Grandmaster, and I thank you for it."

No time to waste! Innovation waits for no man, and if I don't get to work, someone will steal my discovery!

Ask Alice about relevant herbs. Specifically, but not limited to, neurotoxins, healing herbs (specifically, for brain damage) and memory-altering herbs. (If they actually exist, do they just wipe out a chunk of memory, or are they selective?)

Gather some of these herbs (safely, of course.) Measure the exact effects on rodents before I go any further.

Finally, look for a lab assistant. Preferably someone who knows about the brain, and general health, but it's not necessary.

(If that's too many actions, I can find the assistant later.

I have this weird feeling that if I accomplish my goal, our brave heroes will use my creation to kidnap someone.)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 11:22:42 pm »

(I have this weird feeling that if I accomplish my goal, our brave heroes will use my creation to kidnap someone.)
((That's nothing. If I accomplish my goals, the entire world will have an industrial revolution, then wars happen due to the scarcity of fuel required to make steam and we end up in the premise of New Age Mercenaries.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 06:55:29 am »

"Hm... thirty shillings, you say? Can I see inside the crate first? It's not that I don't trust you, I simply want to see what the shards are like, yes?"

Propose this. If I can take a look at the shards, wonderful.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 07:56:40 am »

(I have this weird feeling that if I accomplish my goal, our brave heroes will use my creation to kidnap someone.)
((That's nothing. If I accomplish my goals, the entire world will have an industrial revolution, then wars happen due to the scarcity of fuel required to make steam and we end up in the premise of New Age Mercenaries.))
((If I accomplish my goal the world will enter a magical revolution and our brave heroes will have even more shenanigans.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 3: A Dead Rat
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »

Turn 3: A Dead Rat

Iktaka Modri
[Look inside of crate: Simple=8] The mage seemed to have little interest in debating the right of Modri to look inside of the crate first, after the debacle he had just overseen. When he pried open the top of one it revealed a layer of hay, under which lay a layer of crystals. They were small, ranging in size from merely that of a joint of Modri’s pinky finger to being as long as her hand, but terribly thin. This allowed for a large number of crystals in a given layer, perhaps around 50. The mage assured her that the layers continued throughout the small crate, giving a total of around 300 crystal shards.

+ Small Crate of Shards
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was still stuck in negotiations with the mercenaries, who appeared to mostly dodge his questions through strange riddles.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
Looking at his most recent five shillings, the mage said, [color= #8181F7]”Yeah, I can do that. Might be tough to find, but I’m sure we can get a hold of one.”[/color]

[Find tortoise boulder: Moderate=5] They asked around, even appealing to some of the mages who had overseen the young mage’s (Podri’s) training. There weren’t any to be spared, however. There wasn’t even anyone selling any on the side, trying to make a quick buck. Podri did have an idea, however. If they bribed one of the guards in the garden at night he might be able to lift the boulder over the wall of the building they were stored in…

+ Follower

Herman Tongs
[Sketch a plan: Simple=9] This time Herman put his plan on paper, drawn out with charcoal. The hammer and springs and anvil all stayed where he put them, and he soon had a list of parts jotted down as well, of what would be necessary before the hand-crank hammer system could be built.

+ Sketch, + Parts List

Wol Fann
[Ask Alice: Simple=7] Wol happened to catch her when she wasn’t busy, which wasn’t often lately. She had been more or less consumed by her new role heading up the discovery and cultivation of the northern swamp.

”We have two known neurotoxins. There are red vines on the northwest bank of the lake that lies to the northeast of here. There is a map just before you leave town. That should cause general disorientation. Effects on memory are so far unstudied. In fact, we don’t even really know if it is in the vine, or mosses that thrive on it. New species. It’s a contact poison, so be careful. In that same area there is some spotted cowbane. White bunched flowers. Thrives in wet areas. Long woody stems. Some people have reported memory loss after eating it. Far more have reported death. Any amount is poisonous, very small amounts can be fatal. Can act as a contact poison if you roll in it, but ingestion is the main route of toxicity. The remedies you can find in the gardens. Sage can help some, possibly. Stronger is likely our White Crown. It grows in trees, parasitizes them. In the garden, near some of the parasitic flowers, you’ll find it. White berries, can’t miss it. Now I have to give a lecture, excuse me.”

Making mental note of the four species suggested, Wol set off to gather them. [Get Herbs: Moderate=7] He found the red vines and carefully clipped some before wrapping them in some cloth he brought along for the purpose. The cowbane he snipped at the base and carried, it was safe enough after all. He left those at his bench and went to go get some of the curative ingredients. It was a task to climb the tree to get the white crown, but he did it. The sage was incredibly prevalent, and took no effort at all.

[Rodent Testing: Moderate=3] He wanted to test the unaltered herbs on a rat. He didn’t have a good way of ensuring the rat wouldn’t get any of the red vine on him, so he started with the cowbane. He fed it a small amount of it before feeding it large amounts of sage and white crown. But just seconds after it got the cowbane in it, it vomited several times before convulsing so hard it broke its neck. That was enough animal testing for one day…

+ Cowbane, + Red Vine, + Sage, + White Crown, + Dead Rat
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:21:17 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 06:38:56 pm »

Damn. Stupid rat.

First of all, mix White Crown and Cowbane together, and test them on a rat.

(If the above mixture did not kill the rat) Run rats through simple memory exercises (If they choose this ball, they get a treat, if they choose this one, they get nothing, etc.) for a few hours, and then give them the same mixture from before, before running the same exercises again.

(If it did) Try more experiments to see if there is a ratio where the Cowbane is non-lethal.

A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 09:03:09 pm »

See if there could be any other way of getting the parts, other than making them myself. If not, get gypsum powder and wax or similar malleable and castable materials for cast-making from somewhere. (it's a metallurgy lab, shouldn't be hard).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:02:58 am by IcyTea31 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 03:18:04 am »

"Very good. These will work perfectly. Thank you," Moddri says. "Hm, say, do you know of anyone among your number who'd be willing to help with a little project? It involves these crystal shards and trees. It's technically work for the Carpenters' Guild, but I do believe I could use a mage to consult in the duration of the experiment. Would you be available, perhaps? Or somebody else?"

Purchase the crate, then ask if any of these mages would be open to work on an interdisciplinary project.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 02:24:53 pm »

Sounds like a plan!

Find a guard and befriend him, asking him for this 'favor' before parting. Look for somewhere to stay until the night.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16