Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Multiple Timeline Succession ("Sculptedpaddle")  (Read 8797 times)

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Timeline Succession ("Sculptedpaddle")
« on: June 08, 2014, 06:04:58 pm »

The kings assistant had an unenviable job today: ask the king to make a decision.  He was drunk today, as he was most days.  An impressive feat only possible for a dwarf with as much money as a king.

“Sir, the ruler you appointed to the new settlement has abandoned it.  He said he’s ‘going to live with the badgers who have shown more organization than this settlement’.  You must pick a new ruler for the outpost”.

The king rolled his eyes into the back of his head and propped himself up in his throne.  After a few seconds fumbling around in his pockets he produces a silver coin and announces “HEADS that fat one, TAILS … err … that one I ordered to speak only in pig noises for a month”.  He then lurched forward and swung his arm around, hurling the coin through the air and rolling himself onto the ground unable to control the momentum.  The coin landed on the other side of the room stood up on its side.

It wobbled for a moment.

---------------------------------------

This succession game will proceed normally for the first three turns with a new ruler each year.  At the 4th turn  the save game will be played by two different people and those save games will then continue on as their own succession.  This should be interesting to see at least how  certain decisions affect the life of your fortress and could be a good learning experience.  Stories could also come about where a dwarf is a bum in one timeline and a gallant hero in another.  I think it could be an interesting experiment, so if anyone is interested I will be taking sign ups for the next few days.  Any level of df experience is welcome.  Also, if anyone has any suggestions to rule changes I’ll be happy to hear them.

Rules/Important Information:

•   This thread will act as the main thread for all the timelines but no first three turn updates will go in this thread.  When the new timeline breaks off 2 new threads will need to be created for them.
•   If there is any interest more games can be split but we should try and keep it confined somewhat.
•   The ruler has one year in-game and/or ~4 days irl.  When we split the game, I will set a date for when the next people will be able to begin playing their turn so that the years don't get too out of sync. 
•   Save game files go to dffd
•   There will be a population cap of 100
•   Post regular updates about what has happened in the fort with screen caps where appropriate.
•   Not acknowledging your turn in three days, it moves onto the next person.

Succession List:
i. Gorgulak [Finished]
ii. hairypotatoes dwarobaki
iii. sal880612m
Timeline Split
Timeline A threadTimeline B thread
ia. Gnorm ib. escondida
iia.  ShadowHammeriib. itg
iiia. sal880612miiib. Snackfox
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:14:46 am by Gorgulak »

hairypotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • i like potatoes
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Timeline Succession [Sign Up]
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:48:41 pm »

I'll sign up for a year it sounds interesting
potato?

dwarobaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 01:54:59 pm »

I'd like to try it too. Third year looks nice ;). Is this going to be some crazy embark or something normal?

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »

I thought it would be a normal embark, nothing crazy.  But I do think it would be more interesting if they were facing some challenge.  Any suggestions would be good I haven't ever set up a succession game.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:17:21 pm »

I'll take the first turn after the split.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:25 pm »

Two words: Heck yeah. I'll take the bizarro universe, part I!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 05:29:15 pm »

Really interesting idea. I may need to bow out when it actually comes around but if that isn't a huge problem I would like to sign up for a turn.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:07:03 pm »

No problem sal.

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »

Here it is: Cadeniathira "The Destined Plane"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every dwarf who ever was, lived out their lives."
      -Dwarf Carl Sagan

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 09:57:51 pm »

1st of Granite, 242
Thank Mesthos we are finally here.  I was told the climate would be 'temperate' here.  It is cold.  Desolate looking at the moment, nothing but snow. Snow, and chinchillas.  I am now glad I firmly requested skilled miners, this will be difficult work digging through the hard ground.  It will be difficult for all of us.  We number 7 with a Yak and a Horse.

I am eager to begin work, "Sculptedpaddle" is full of promise and possibility.  Oh yeah, I dreamed the name last night.  You mustn't question the gods.

27th of Granite, 242
 I moved all the supplies and everyone inside out of the cold as we wait for the temperature to rise.  the snow is beginning to melt however slowly.  The melting snow has revealed a river and a few lakes which should be excellent sources of food as we get the fortress up and running.
We work hard, the chinchillas watch.

27th Slate
The snow has now melted away and revealed that this place is teeming with life.  I made a quick list of some of the animals I've noticed so far:
  • those three, possibly dead, chinchillas
  • a barn owl
  • pond turtles
  • peregrine falcon
  • an eagle
  • a kestral

This place is the damn garden of eden.  If we can train half of the animals for war/food we're set!

28th Slate
The abundance of life is amazing.  Urvad Sodellotol is a trained fisherdwarf, he simply walks up to a pond turtle crawling around a lake, picks it up, and carries it to the food storage.
However, food stores are still a concern.  There is still so much to do before winter comes again and freezes our only sources of water.
The trade depot is up and a few workshops making beds and doors, everyone is in good spirits.  I've commissioned a statue to commemorate our arrival.

The fortress as it stands now:
Food stores:

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »

Gimp died on me with a few of the pictures unfortunately.  Also, if anyone wants to be dorf'd tell me who.  I'm apparently a woman, I always forget how to tell the difference.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:33:35 am by Gorgulak »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 10:09:59 pm »

I don't want to necessarily be in the starting seven dwarfs but I would like to be both a doctor and a butcher. Preferably more skilled in butchery. That way it will take more "practice" to become a good doctor. Unless I need to wait until my turn.

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Timeline Succession ("Sculptedpaddle")
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 10:58:53 am »

You want to be a doctor/butcher?  hmm, interesting.  I think I do have a dwarf with the butchery skill but I think he's working as a carpenter at the moment.  I'll post some of their profiles later today.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Timeline Succession ("Sculptedpaddle")
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 02:08:28 pm »

That's fine I was just thinking that we should try and get as many of the overseers either out of the starting seven or before the branch as after that you aren't guaranteed to get the same immigrants. Maybe we want to avoid that though to make things diverge as much as possible?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5