Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26

Author Topic: Harvestcoast - A new, smelly surprise around every corner [Turn 9 complete!]  (Read 40297 times)

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Harvestcoast - Troll has reverted to a wild state! [Turn 7 complete!]
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2014, 05:04:40 pm »

Is my dwarf still alive? If so, what are her thoughts and labors? I've asked a couple times before, but I think the posts got missed in the inevitable (insert "it was inevitable" here) stream of posts that is in the nature of forums.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

working on the update, dunno when if I'll make it today or not. some lithuanian guy is trying to get my tf2 hats on steam and man I just gotta deal with this first.

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 26, 2014, 07:07:40 am »

4th Hematite, 158

Summer's getting off to a rocky start. The infected dwarves, along with the infected animals, are starting to drop off. They're all dead within a month.

...I don't want to talk about it.

10th Hematite, 158

The possessed dwarf has finished her creation!

It's kinda creepy, and I don't know why he used dog bone as the base when he had the pterodactyl bones there anyway, but...

Apparently, she really likes that one centaur. And that one centaur is really bloodthirsty, jeez.

17th Hematite, 158

A rather blushing ladydwarf came up to me today. She said there was a rather muscular man running around wearing absolutely nothing, and that I should go grab an eyeful for myself. Er, I mean go and ask him to put some clothes on. After... surveying the problem for a bit, I realized that this wasn't just any streaking hunk.

No, this streaking hunk was my captain of the guard. And by 'streaking', I mean 'lumbering around trying very carefully not to break his stitches.'

"Benev?"

"Yes, ma'am? Don't worry, I'm putting the barrel of swill in the stockpile where it goes. Just, uh, needed to carry it around for a bit. You understand."

"I'm...Benev, why are you naked?"

He looked down at himself, and back up to me. "Oh. Figured since we're low on clothes and all, might as well let someone else have new stuff. And my old ones were pretty much rags, weren't covering nothing, so I figured might as well walk around naked, right?"

"Benev?"

"Ma'am?"

"Go put some clothes on."

"Yes ma'am."

And I made sure he did. Kept an eye on him all the way to the clothes stockpile and watched him put on a new pair of pants myself. Just to make sure, you know.

Hematite 25th, 158

We've got a problem.

We've had soldiers guarding the entrance to the fortress because elves aren't smart enough to bring their own guards, so it couldn't be goblins. We've got people searching the fortress up and down looking for the kid, so hopefully they'll turn up soon.

Hematite 28th, 158

The elf caravan left today. I had every single pouch on their of their beasts searched as they left just to make sure the child didn't get any funny ideas about smuggling himself out. Also to make sure the elves hadn't decided dwarven children were a delicacy. We didn't find them. We're running out of places to look, and I'm not sure what I'm going to tell the parents if we just...can't find him. Maybe the goblins found another way in?

Malachite 8th, 158

Beirus came to me today. His gladiator pit (he's calling it the "Thunderdome", but I think that's silly and refuse to refer to it as such) has been ready for awhile, but with the hunt for the child on we've been too preoccupied to use it. He told me today that the odds we'll find the child in a manhunt have been basically impossible for a while now, and he wants to kill one of the goblins because it'll make him feel better. I oblige, and he goes to get ready while I specify one of the prisoners to be stripped down and hauled off to the pit. This was actually a mistake, but...

So Beirus walks into the arena. The doors shut, and the goblin runs up to him. Fully clothed and armed. Beirus laughs.

And that was that. He complimented me on using a fully armed prisoner and the deed was done.

...I don't think I'll be using the pit much. It makes me feel...quesy. It's not even fair to the goblins.

Here's the Slaughter Hole, fresh after it's inaugural use. For the record to future overseers, it's color coded for your convenience. The red lever opens the floodgates to the place (don't put anything strong enough to break down buildings in there...but isn't that common sense anyway?!) and the grey lever opens the pit to put the creatures in. I don't know what the blue lever does since that was already there.

Malachite 15th, 158

I called off the last remnants of the hunt for the kid today. He's just gone, and Armok knows where he went or why. Maybe he was out of the fortress and a kidnapper found him, or maybe he just met the wrong end of some beast. Maybe he fell into the ocean and drowned. I don't know, but I tried. Armok believe me, I tried.

---

gah sorry this has been such of a wait for nothing, but life's gotten in the way the past few days. figured a short update with nothing interesting is better then an even longer wait for an update so here it is.

I don't know what the fuck happened to the kid. I've checked everywhere I've thought to check and I can't find them. I checked the caverns and discovered how Osta got in - there's a giant level that leads straight to our staircase just sitting open a couple levels above where it actually meets the cavern floor. obviously anything that can't fly can't get in, but that's how that happened.

Benev's still naked as of now. he's also paralyzed from the waist down and doesn't have a crutch so he's crawling around with nothing but his stitches, and a steel buckler and crossbow. I don't know why he's naked. if anyone has a problem with me reporting your characters as being ridiculous you can let me know.

completely forgot to grab screenshots of the Beirus gladiator fight but honestly it was pretty much as reported. Dumping the inventories of caged critters is just d-b-d over the cage, right? cause that's not working at all. It obviously didn't matter since Beirus is a beast but eh. we've only got one other goblin that isn't already set up in the zoo anyway, although I'm sure we'll get more in the future.

clothes production isn't going fast enough at all but we're trucking along there. set up a drawbridge for an item dump to smash useless items, if we want to go that route in the future and... that's pretty much all I did. next update should come monday/tuesday ish.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:11:54 am by sensei_shade »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 26, 2014, 07:47:19 am »

You also need to d-b-c over the cages to actually mark the items the prisoners are wearing as unforbidden, otherwise your derfs won't take them.

Also, bloody hell Benev. Probably the most hilarious moment I've ever seen anyone write in a succession fort, but still. Is he on military duty? I hope he isn't, being paralyzed can't be good for that. I don't think he'll grab a crutch if both his legs are completely useless, since it wouldn't exactly do much good without at least one functioning leg.
くコ:彡

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 26, 2014, 07:50:52 am »

you mentioned infected dwarves dying.is crazyduck dead too?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2014, 07:53:59 am »

you mentioned infected dwarves dying.is crazyduck dead too?
No named dwarves were infected, which was in fact stated in the post it happened in.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 26, 2014, 07:56:19 am »

crazyduck has an infection from,like,Houn's turn.it was in that incident with the goblin ambush.

EDIT:oh,you mean those Osha infected...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:00:49 am by than402 »

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 27, 2014, 12:15:02 am »

yeah, only those who got hit with the pterodactyl goo are dying. cept that bone carver for whatever reason.

Benev is indeed still a part of our military. He's our captain of the guard. I was debating replacing him, but honestly we've got like 15 legendary whateverdwarves so I haven't really seen the need.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2014, 05:03:34 pm »

Zaerosz' Journal, 16th Malachite

I can't even remember half the dwarves who arrived here with me all those years ago. Crazyduck still works the forges, but every month her infection seems to take more of a hold on her. I'm not sure she'll last another year. Dhoor has been... very quiet these last few months. Still mourning the loss of his beloved Houn, gods rest her soul. I see Escondida every so often when I'm working in the fields, but we haven't spoken in so long I can't remember the sound of her voice. There was a butcher or a doctor or something, wasn't there? Yes, they were the overseer for the year after I stepped down. Was Benev one of my original companions? I can't even recall. Were there others? I came here with nine others, didn't I? Why can't I remember the rest of them?

I can't help but feel... responsible, I suppose, for so much that's happened here. And look at me now, all I do is play with trolls. I've been running away from my role as a founder. I need to do something about this.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 30, 2014, 03:46:24 am »

how's it going,sensei_shade?

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 30, 2014, 06:48:09 pm »

slowly. I will get the update up in x amount of hours.

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »

Malachite 23rd, 158

Well, the good news is that all the animal have finished rotting. The miasma's all cleared up.

The bad news is that I had to order memorial slabs for the child we lost, along with two other dwarves I was unfamiliar with a few people had told me hadn't been able to be buried.

Malachite 27th, 158

Spent a lot of time recently reading my old journal entries, from the beginning of the year. I was so... energetic. Spunky. Armok-damned Osha changed that, though. I'm glad we haven't had a crisis like that since.

Cleaned out a lot of the old production orders from the listing. No point in making coins, right now, and we don't have the materials for anything leather. Put a stop to steel production until we get more bars made so I don't have the metalworkers yelling at me every five seconds.

Still can't find that damn pond everyone's trying to fill up. Spent about six hours yesterday wandering around trying to personally find the thing, and couldn't do it. I wonder if it's some sort of joke they're all in on....

Galena 2nd, 158

Icecoon threw a party at the zoo!

A lot of the older residents of the fortress were in attendance, or so I hear. I, uh, didn't get an invite! That's okay! I was busy anyway! Doing...important...stuff. Important overseer stuff. Yeah.

Galena 16th, 158

Say, the humans haven't brought a caravan yet. Wonder why?

...oh. I position the military at the gates and order everyone else to stay inside. Should be pretty easy, since we outnumber and outgun the humans. Lead by a bowman on a horse, the humans make their way across the beach to the gate.

And the battle begins.

The bowman wisely decides to lead the battle from the rear, and promptly runs back, shooting arrows into the crowd. One finds a child that was...standing with the soldiers for some unknown reason.

The foot soldiers the humans brought are all poorly-armed and armored pikemen. They simply aren't a match for our soldiers, clad in iron and steel and legendary in skill.

A few lucky strikes happen...

...but they're the exception, not the rule.

Dhoor was in the middle of things, as to be expected.

Within minutes, the humans and routed and begin to flee the battle, following their mounted commander.

And all that's left is to clean up the leftovers.

There are no more humans left on the shores of Harvestcoast, and not a single dwarven casuality.

You'll have to do better then that, ya tall freaks.

---

welp glad something happened at the end there, finally.

sorry things have been going at a snail's pace. Hopefully things'll speed up - I should be able to get the next update up tomorrow. if it takes too damn long (the whole thing, I mean, not one update) and torgue gets back before I'm done I'll hand the save off to him.

whoever designated the mystery pond to be filled is the bane of my existence. I get that error message as well as dwarves complaining there isn't any cloth when we've got 150ish bolts of plant cloth alone are driving me nuts.

other then that, not much to note. not much to do but wait for steel to get smelted and keep churning out clothing. I'll try and pick up a bunch of stuff when the dwarven caravans get here.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »

Nobody else seems to have mentioned a pond, and snackfox took the turn before yours, so I'm inclined to believe it was him. Especially considering how little he actually documented.

snackfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • biddyfox.com
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2014, 07:48:10 am »

Yeah that was me. The pond is in the throne room thing. Sorry 'bout that.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:00 am »

Oh, that artificial river. Did you consider making an aqueduct instead? Because that would actually work, as opposed to a pond.

sensei_shade, you should see if you can accomplish that. Mind the water pressure, though.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2014, 04:11:53 am »

If you don't mind, I'd like to keep Benev on military duty, as CotG isn't a front-line position anyway. Other than that, I'm amazed those orders were still in place. I ordered the coins made and possibly the leather things if IIRC, as I had bought a ton of leather from a couple of caravans. Good going so far, hope you can finish your year! Can I sign up for another turn when one becomes available?

Benev's Journal
Summer 158
I've been getting a little bit angry at the overseer lately. No responsibility seems to be taken, it's always "Snackfox did this, Benev did that" and that's why the fort is in the state it is. No one else let in a fell creature of death and destruction because they didn't bother to read the logs of their predecessors, did they? Anyway, I can appreciate some of the things she(?)'s doing, like making clothes for the populace and setting up new bedrooms. Unfortunately, I've mostly been ignored about my requests for worship buildings and fortification in the caverns. We did beat off a human siege recently, so I can understand why. People have started to notice that I tend to... forego the wearing of clothes on most occasions. It's not wrong, is it? We came out here to live new free lives away from the constricting social mores of the Mountainhomes and fully devote ourselves to our causes, mine being my new religion. Well, that and to escape being murdered and sucked dry by a psychotic vampire-queen, but that's not really important, is it? A new arena was also built, replacing my earlier crude one, and I hear Beirus really got into killing Goblin POWs. That used to be my favorite pastime too! However, I can't move as quick anymore, now that I'm confined to shuffling along on my knuckles with my legs bound up. Luckily, I was born with freakishly long arms, allowing me to do things like shoot a crossbow and more or less 'walk' on my knuckles, although it's slow and I've built up quite the layer of callus! That's about it for now.
Capital Invicta, Capital Vult,
Benev
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26