Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Harvestcoast - A new, smelly surprise around every corner [Turn 9 complete!]  (Read 39978 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Harvestcoast - The Odd Little Fort By The Sea
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 02:25:25 pm »

Any chance I could get dwarfed as a Male Swordsdwarf? Call him "Beirus" please.

Fine with me. Beirus Graniteacts, Competent Swordsdwarf.
Awesome. An I in the military? If not, can I be and maybe become a squad leader once we have enough military dwarves for more than one squad?
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 02:39:08 pm »

Any chance I could get dwarfed as a Male Swordsdwarf? Call him "Beirus" please.

Fine with me. Beirus Graniteacts, Competent Swordsdwarf.
Awesome. An I in the military? If not, can I be and maybe become a squad leader once we have enough military dwarves for more than one squad?

Yes you are in the first squad .. well only squad so far. :D
"This is a well crafted billon statue of Urist McChickenlover.
The item is a well-designed image Urist McChickenlover the dwarf and a chicken in billon.
Urist McChickenlover is embracing the chicken."

Colony Alpha <<<Warhammer 40k, Squats, Orkz, Eldar and more... >>>

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 03:47:15 pm »

Sign me up for a turn please? Hopefully I will still be around and ready to go when the save comes around to me.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Hounskull

• Bay Watcher
  • draws stupid things
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 05:41:23 pm »

And dwarobaki, apparently we'RE IN LOVE. Well. our dwarves anyway. -cough-
Dhoor and Houn are romantically involved, OOPS.  congrats on your dwarf p.much being a snobby Altmer too ahaha.

I think they would look really nice together, and, needles to say, Houn is the prettiest lady Dwarf from Mountain Home to Harvestcoast!  8)

aww yiisssssss  8)
_____

I'm actually considering taking a turn, but I've never taken part in a succession game before, I'd probably heck everything up suuuper fast.
Looking forward to reading the next year though  :D
I'm happy just drawing dwarves for now, in any case.
(Totally cool for any Harvestcoast players to send me the details of any dwarves they want drawn)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11:21 pm »

Can I be dorfed as a cook/grower named Yerk? :)
Something about the title appeals to me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 08:40:39 pm »

I'm actually considering taking a turn, but I've never taken part in a succession game before, I'd probably heck everything up suuuper fast.

Don't be intimidated by that; if you want a turn, you should feel free to take one. Besides, even if you do muck things up somehow, part of the fun of a succession game is cleaning up everyone else's messes. (-:

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »

Hey, I dont like butterflies too much in real life either! Louse Men, on the other hand, dont catch my fancy either... Really nice artwork, Hounskull.  Anyway, I guess I might have a go at diary writing.Here it is!

Kill Journal  Diary of Benev, Granite 12
Well, we made it. Harvestcoast seems alright, but like any other new outpost, we sleep in the dirt. Its been bringing back... unpleasant memories. KILL,BITE,RIP,STAB,TEAR No Benev, this isnt the Mountainhome, there are no dogs, no turkeys, No *Child-care*, no training spears, no goblin menace here. Get a grip. Anyway, I was assigned as the hunter for this outpost, but apparently no one was informed that I had my crossbow confiscated after the... accident. I would have  thought that one of the greatest Dwarven warriors in the known world would have deserved more respect, but washed-up wrecks like me get nothing. Soon though, I will bring down the greatest, most dangerous, most delicious beasts in the land! I need to go help with the farms now, I work there until a bow can be made for me.

Galena 7
My first kill! I brought down a mighty... giant pigeon. Still, its something of an accomplishment. I really do like hunting. Its a useful skill, and it allows me to deal with my... problem while maintaining some inner peace. Much better than up-close and personal work, like Dhoor talks about all the time, he has no idea of what SRHYEDHJIIRFDEATH, hold it together, man, remember, Dwarf, not killer real fighting is like. Anyway, back to work.

Moonstone 12
Finally a real hunt! Ive dealt a blow to the enemies of Dwarfdom, the ruthless carp in particular, by destroying one of their cousins, a Giant Grouper. Take that, you merciless fiends! We eat well tonight.The people of this fort work with the efficiency and power of Louse Men, and already, we have a thriving outpost. The trade caravan stopped by, and the broker traded away a batch of those monotonous egg biscuits for a bunch of clothesmaking equipment and more importantly, a beautiful steel crossbow, which I hope will be given to me. Im going now to see if anyone can make me a new cloak, preferably brown or red, from all that cloth and dye, as the old one has gotten a bit bloodstained. Or is it blood? Do fish have blood, or is it ichor or something? Never mind, lets go get that cloak.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:27:24 am by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Hounskull

• Bay Watcher
  • draws stupid things
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:37 pm »

Moonstone 12
Finally a real hunt! Ive dealt a blow to the enemies of Dwarfdom, the ruthless carp in particular, by destroying one of thir cousins, a Giant Grouper. Take that, you merciless fiends! We eat well tonight.The people of this fort work with the efficiency and power of Louse Men, and already, we have a thriving outpost. The trade caravan stopped by, and the broker traded away a batch of those monotonous egg biscuits for a bunch of clothesmaking equipment and more importantly, a beautiful steel crossbow, which I hope will be given to me. Im going now to see if anyone can make me a new cloak, preferably brown or red, from all that cloth and dye, as the old one has gotten a bit bloodstained. Or is it blood? Do fish have blood, or is it ichor or something? Never mind, lets go get that cloak.[/i]

Incredible journal 8D "the efficiency and power of Louse men" oh my christ. I hope to see more journals and so on as the fort progresses :D
I actually could help doing a stupid drawing of the battle between the Benev and the mighty Giant Grouper.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I originally intended this to be mildly serious. But then I jokingly scribbled a dagger in the fin of the Grouper and it just. Crumbled away into dust. And left behind a Dwarf vs Giant Fish KNIFE FIGHT.
Sorry.

dwarobaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 02:12:47 am »

I actually could help doing a stupid drawing of the battle between the Benev and the mighty Giant Grouper.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I originally intended this to be mildly serious. But then I jokingly scribbled a dagger in the fin of the Grouper and it just. Crumbled away into dust. And left behind a Dwarf vs Giant Fish KNIFE FIGHT.
Sorry.

Serious or not, it looks great.
I hope Benev is going to give us more entries from his Kill Journal Diary :)

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 02:49:25 am »

Can I be dorfed as a cook/grower named Yerk? :)
Something about the title appeals to me.

Done :)

Sorry.

Nice art! I'll post my year in a few hours(winter). A lot of things happened.
The item is a well-designed image Urist McChickenlover the dwarf and a chicken in billon.

Hounskull

• Bay Watcher
  • draws stupid things
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 03:23:38 am »

Serious or not, it looks great.
I hope Benev is going to give us more entries from his Kill Journal Diary :)

Nice art! I'll post my year in a few hours(winter). A lot of things happened.

Thank you both!  :)

And awww yisss updates soon, looking forward to it  :D

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 04:34:06 am »

Thank you both!  :)

And awww yisss updates soon, looking forward to it  :D

Oh sweet Armok, it's six pages long and it's still not finished.

I am Icecoon Martyrwinds, soon to be former overseer, prepare to die draw a lot of pictures :D

Hounskull

• Bay Watcher
  • draws stupid things
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 05:06:31 am »

Oh sweet Armok, it's six pages long and it's still not finished.

I am Icecoon Martyrwinds, soon to be former overseer, prepare to die draw a lot of pictures :D

Six whole pages, and more, yess! I am ready.
(actually maybe I am not. I just tried to get lemonade, but got as far as picking up the glass before I forgot what I was doing. And just. Stared at the glass in silent confusion. I have my lemonade now but maybe I should go to bed.)  :D

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 07:09:25 am »

Ok, here it is.  :)

----------------------------
2nd Granite, 152

Ha! Now I’m the Boss! Alright, listen. After that kobold nearly wounded Zae, we can’t risk anymore. It seems, that those little bastards have found out the location of our fortress. More will come to steal our goods. And that we can’t allow! We have to move our workshops underground.

Icecoon has entered fey mood!
Icecoon draws pictures of underground workshops!

So, here it is. Houn, Vutok dig this out quickly!
Vutok: Mkay Boss.
Vutok Matulfikod, Excavation Tech - On Break
*facepalm*

28th Granite, 152

Some new migrants arrived. Too many to count. Harvestcoast is now inhabited by 51 dwarves, who need to eat, drink and a place to sleep, therefore as soon as the excavations on the workshop floor are complete, I will designate an area for bedrooms and a soon to be legendary dining hall.

One of the migrants was quite interesting. Edem Plaintower, an expert Macedwarf with a kill list of 237 creatures, mainly giant grasshoppers and other giant vermin. As soon as the new workshops will be ready and armor+weapons will be made,  I’ll recruit him.

19th Slate, 152

The day my worst fear(for now :) ) came true. A group of centaurs began roaming the area. First they were just watching from a distance, but one of our worthless peasants, Rovod Giftchamber came too close. I have immediately sent in the militia to deal with the creature.
Fortunately Benev was close and shot the centaur in the head. The bad news is that 13 dwarf hating centaurs still roam the area, along with 10 wren people. We have to move underground! Better to make a coffin for the poor girl.

21st Slate, 152

Dhoor is stationed at the entrance to prevent another casualty. He quickly dispatches a centaur, that came too close.

7th Felsite, 152

Centaurs are still roaming around. Zae, Benev and Toll Dwarf are training dogs for war and milkspiders for hunting. I will station them near the entrance. Meanwhile our smiths and furnace operators are making coke from lignite and are smelting iron to make more weapons and armor.
Dhoor is happily cutting through centaurs, taking breaks only for food, booze and sleeping.

14th Felsite, 152

An Elf caravan arrived. I won’t trade with them, cause all our crafts are made from bone and they will not accept our delicious -guineahen egg biscuits- because they are stored in wooden barrels, hypocrites. I have good news though, the centaurs went away after three of their comrades were slain.

17th Felsite, 152
Good news! While digging out our communal graveyard, the miners have found bituminous coal! With lignite and this, we will need magma only for religious and defensive purposes.

7th Hematite, 152
A well from bauxite blocks was built over a channel, that leads to the sea. As our scientists have discovered, bauxite has a natural ability to desalinate water. (actually dwarves won’t mind to drink salt water from a well :) )

7th Hematite, 152, 30 dwarven minutes after the previous log

Something is trapped in one of the cage traps, that were deployed yesterday! No, not a giant war-trainable grizzly bear. A goblin snatcher! It seems that those little kobold bastards told their bigger friends, the goblins about the location of our fortress. I don’t know what should I do with that goblin. I guess it will serve as a training dummy for our militia ... as soon as we will have a proper militia.

13th Hematite, 152

Another goblin, this time he managed to escape. Fortunately the animals on the pasture revealed him.

13th Hematite, 152

It seems he was successful, Domas, a baby is missing. Damn!

5th Malachite, 152

The excavation of the bedrooms and the soon to be legendary dining hall is going well.
A drawbridge has been built at the entrance of the fort to ensure the safety of the population.
When the dining room will be dug out, a lever will be installed there and linked to the bridge.

Meanwhile another child went missing. I bet the goblins are to blame ...
Poor children, they must suffer. The goblins are reeducating them to hate their own kind.

5th Malachite, 152, three hours after the previous log

Oh My Armok! A vampire has infiltrated our community!

We have to quickly find out who is the culprit, but how?

1st Galena, 152

Migrants, again. Since I’m too lazy to count them all I will only say that our fortress is inhabited by 61 dwarfs .. and a vampire ... or more. I have no idea how to expose this blood sucking fiend. I will appoint a Captain of the Guard as soon as a mayor is elected.

3rd Galena, 152

Oh My Armok!
The newly elected mayor entered my office and demanded this and that, mainly a decent office, bedroom, bla bla bla and a crown! Well buddy do you think you deserve a crown? Ah by Armok’s beard! Better to carve out some rooms for him though.

12th Galena, 152

A human caravan from Mong Issha arrived. Now we could sell them those trinkets Zae ordered to make.

Harvestcoast is buying:
1 silver bar
1 electrum bar
some glass for moody dwarves
2 copper cages
4 barrels of Booze
A bin of leather
Some thread

Well, no steel in this caravan, maybe our dwarven brothers will bring something useful.
Our broker sold them three barrels of plants, three barrels of meat and some bone trinkets.

4th Limestone, 152

Another goblin snatcher was caught in a cage trap. So far no interesting creatures for Zae and the others to train. Only a groundhog. :)

14th Limestone, 152
Another poor dwarven child leaved the fortress in a goblin bag. Most of them were kidnapped in the vicinity of the outdoor farm plots. I will station a war dog and a milkspider there.
No other interesting news to write down, except, that Asmel, the Metalsmith began to work on something “legendary” in the forge.

Oh, one more thing. Our militia is now officially established. We have only 6 soldiers, including that expert macedwarf, but that number will rise.

The Militia of Harvestcoast:

1. -Dhoor Ghostships-, Militia Commander, Skilled Axedwarf
2. Edem Plaintower, Expert Macedwarf
3. Udib Buststrength, Competent Speardwarf
4. -Beirus Graniteacts-, Competent Swordsdwarf
5. Lokum Relievedcrystal, Competent Swordsdwarf
6. Sazir Safetybolted, Competent Macedwarf

All of them have iron armor and weapons(except Dhoor(steel battleaxe))

19th Limestone, 152

Oh .. My ..*CENSORED* .. Armok!

Simple Smile you say? I say simple minded. Next time you are going to make a legendary artifact, please make something more useful. Hmm, wait a minute ... put your artifact in the mayors bedroom. He will be happy ... and maybe he’ll get lead poisoning or something.

26th Limestone, 152

The vampire has attacked again. A ranger was sucked dry. We have to stop this while we can. (Dfhack reports two vampires now. I have found one. As the overseer I have decided to stop this menace and kill em. We can’t risk, the next target may be one of us)
An otherwise unimportant dwarf, Minkot Speechlessbasement will be our Captain of the Guard. His job is to find that vampire and execute him/her/it without mercy!

This is HARVESTCOAST!

7th Sandstone, 152

Eleven new migrants arrived. The preparations for the jail and the execution chamber are complete. The mechanism will be operated by a lever, that is linked to an upright menacing spike. Today I have prayed to Armok to forgive us, that we are not using magma in the process of execution, cause we don’t have time for that. Now we only have to find that vampire!

21th Sandstone, 152

The cage traps have caught two Sparrow Women. Since they are sentient beings, we can’t train them. I will probably sell them to a slaver.

27th Sandstone, 152

Another two Sparrow women were caught. But what to do with them? They are just occupying our cages.

28th Sandstone, 152

And here’s the culprit! Sigun Umernil! Nobody saw her drinkin booze or eating anything ever! And she visited too many places for a dwarf! That’s suspicious! Kill her, KILL HER!

PULL THE LEVER!

12th Timber, 152

In the middle of the execution came a message, that Stukos Olonthak, a Craftsdwarf has been found dead sucked dry. Minkot, who controlled the execution lever approached me and said: So is she innocent? Should I stop?

No,  don’t you see? We are piercing holes in her for at least 3 hours and she’s still living! Continue the execution! There is a second vampire in the fortress!

14th Timber, 152

Finally! The first vampire is dead! It took two days and six hours to kill her. The spike is not very efficient, but it will do. At least they suffer for their crime.

The second vampire was identified as well, Iton Fashrith! He will be executed immediately.

Later the mayor rushed in my office protesting about the executions. I showed him a nice bone crown and he left my office with a happy thought.

Also a caravan from the mountain home  arrived.

17th Timber, 152

AMBUSH! Curse 'em.

As the dwarven caravan approached the fortress some goblin marksgobbos sprung from ambush.
I have sent in the militia to deal with them and to escort the caravan back.

17th Timber, 152, 15 minutes after the previous log

Well it was not so serious as it appeared to be. The goblins were dispatched fairly quickly by the caravan guard. Our militia will escort them to our fortress, more goblins may roam around.

18th Timber, 152

Another goblin snatcher, another occupied cage.

And ... AMBUSH!

As our militia went out to escort the caravan a group of macegobbos appeared!
Armok be with us!

18th Timber, 152, 6 hours after the massacre

The fight began promisingly. Udib, the speardwarf and Beirus incapacitated the first goblin by fracturing and then chopping off his left leg.
Sadly, soon after that the goblins wounded Lokum our other swordsdwarf and Udib by inflicting  fractures in Lokum’s left arm and Udib’s left leg.

Udib was then struck down by a blow to his head. Fortunately some hunters including Benev were nearby to help our militia. The most useful soldiers of our squad were Dhoor(three killed goblins) and Beirus(1 kill). Dhoor received just a minor bruising from a mace, but Beirus’ left upper leg is broken.
Edem, our Expert macedwarf has a broken right upper arm and a broken left lower leg + some bruisings.
Lokum is ... well completely broken .. but she lives.
Sazir, our other macedwarf has no injuries, he was webbed up at the beginning of the fight by our milkspiders though. I guess it would be better to assign them to hunters.

Otherwise the caravan reached our trade depot and it seems that they have some interesting goods.

Now let’s set up a hospital for our heroes!

6th Moonstone, 152

Two centaurs were caught in our cage traps.
We have bought five bars of steel, some wood and all the booze the caravan had.

27th Moonstone, 152
The hospital is set up. I have recruited Mezbuth a hammerdwarf to replace the fallen speardwarf.
I have made a new +steel battle axe+ for Dhoor and recruited Thikut an Axedwarf to replace poor mangled up Lokum.

4th Opal, 152

First the Centaurs, then the goblins and now...

The beast surprised the caravan, that was heading back to the mountainhome.
It teared apart a horse, but the caravan guards killed it quickly.
Oh Armok! What will you throw at us next time?

Our masons have started to produce stone blocks. Note for the next overseer: Make a wall around our fortress.

9th Opal, 152

Another goblin snatcher was caught in a cage. Well, we have a lot of them caged up by now. Maybe Zae and the others should start to domesticate them.

Current animals/prisoners:
5 x Centaur
3 x Sparrow man
6 x Goblin

Oh yes,  a kobold was seen again, he was killed by our hunters.

17th Opal, 152

Oh I forgot. That vampire is still waiting in the execution chamber. He is not hungry or thirsty and the disappearances have stopped. Note to the next overseer: Do what you want with him. :)

3rd Obsidian, 152
That expert macedwarf, Edem has died of thirst while I was butchering patching up Lokum. It looks like nobody has cared to give him some water. Typical.

18th Obsidian, 152

My attempts to transform Lokum’s body from a bloody mess to a dwarven one were unsuccessful.  She has died of infection today.

1st Granite, 153

Well my time as the supreme ruler of Harvestcoast has ended. My rule was short and violent, but hey! We have managed to survive and prosper! We have moved our workshops underground, survived the attacks of bloodthirsty Centaurs, bloodthirsty Vampires, bloodthirsty Goblins etc.
I think I did quite well. And therefore I appoint myself to the position of Chief Medical Dwarf! :D

Ok, summary:

Population: 70
Dead/missing: 8 + 2 war dogs(killed by goblins)

Challenge for the next overseers: Please Armok and include magma in the process of execution. :D

--------------------------------------
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8644
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:23:21 am by Icecoon »

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 07:48:00 am »

well,this moves pretty quickly.just downloaded the save,i will start playing as soon as possible and i will probably upload it tomorrow morning(my time zone's morning anyway)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26