Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Harvestcoast - A new, smelly surprise around every corner [Turn 9 complete!]  (Read 40291 times)

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
Re: Harvestcoast - Troll has reverted to a wild state! [Turn 7 complete!]
« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:05 am »

Kinda.  I was planning to release the next update yesterday, but I lost my laptop charger somewhere and am waiting for a new one.  I'll upload as soon as I get it.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 29, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »

Yikes, that's no fun.

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 30, 2014, 05:02:35 pm »

In the mean time:

Journal of Torgue Date 12th Galena 159

As summer draws to a close, I fear the project may not be finished.  I hear of discussions of dwarves wishing to replace me at the end of the year, citing my... interesting mental state as well as secrecy on just what the hell the project is.  Those fools!  I'm not crazy!  THEY'RE all crazy!  They cannot see just what the future holds.  I must go on, for the sake of the world!  To protect all civilizations in the years to come, it must be finished!

The nightmares have become more vivid.  So vivid they could not possibly be hallucinations.  I hear screams, see blood, smell death.  Fortresses long passed and fortresses long to come.  Huge structures containing unbelievable power, yet at the same time unbelievable horror.  Enormous beasts opposed to all life.

I cannot allow these visions to come true.  We must continue.  We must complete the project. 

Ok, there appears to be a bunch of animals afflicted with kitten rot.  Any ideas on what the source could be?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:18:03 pm by Torgue »

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 30, 2014, 06:21:11 pm »

well,there was that forgotten beast with the poisonous gas...

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2014, 06:36:48 pm »

Sorry for the delay, work kinda caught up with me.  I'll try and post the next update tomorrow.

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 05, 2014, 07:31:52 pm »

Date: 20th Limestone 159

A kobold thief was encountered in the main hallway.  Ordinarily this would not be a major incident, but it happened to encounter a milkspider.  A milkspider which started indiscriminately spitting webs everywhere.  Webs that trapped not only the thief, but some civilians, and the melee response team I dispatched to intercept the kobold.  Nobody could move, caught in a sticky deadlock of epic proportions.

Thankfully a marksdwarf finished off the kobold after a few hours.  I'll have to pasture the spiders somewhere out of the way, I shudder to imagine what a mess it would be if a siege encountered them.  Not to mention the mess everywhere.

Meanwhile, yet another damn kid is struck by inspiration.  He makes a fucking toy boat.  Remind me to place him on labor detail as soon as the bastard grows up.

Speaking of labor, the pace on the project has picked up significantly.  I take it the miners are getting more comfortable with their tasks, and the addition of a few shortcuts means less downtime.  Good, because it's getting REALLY fucking hard to sleep lately.  Every night it's the same thing.  Blood.  Screams.  Guts.  Cats.  I just pray I can finish the job in time.

Well, in the event that I do get replaced, I'll have to let my successor in on the plans.  Hopefully he/she will have enough sense to complete it, before it's too late for poor old Torgue.  Or the rest of the world, for that matter.

Date: 3rd Sandstone 159
Oh, this week could have gone better.

First Dhoor just drops dead in the middle of the hallway.  The doctors tell me it was infection, but I suspect something else.  He was looking really great yesterday.  Plus, the doctors have been acting.... weird around me.  Glances in my direction.  Suddenly shutting up when they see me.  I fear they may have been trying to test a poison, and picked a target that wouldn't generate much suspicion.

"Oh he just succumbed to his wounds!  It was a terrible infection, there was nothing we could do!"

Gimme a freaking break.  Even supposing he had an infection, wouldn't they have been trying to clean him up?  There's no way they can be that damn incompetent, can they?

I'll have to watch my back, and my drink.  I'm gonna build a small personal farm in a discreet location, and a small stockpile in my quarters, just to be safe.  I don't want to think of the tortures I would suffer should I die before the project is complete.  I'll also have to find a replacement, which is going to be difficult, to say the least.  Losing any dwarf is bad, but losing the one that all the military looks up to?  The dwarf that led them into victory against sieges, ambushes, forgotten beasts?  The soldiers spent the last 3 days in mourning, and they don't seem to be letting up any time soon.  I just hope that they don't blame me for his death.

Just a few hours after Dhoor met his end, I hear that a hunter named Lord_lemonpie has been missing for a week.  He is eventually found in the caverns, with massive head trauma and a significant portion of his torso missing.  Not too long afterwards, his killer was found:  A giant beetle, limbs covered in blood.  It is dropped in a few shots, which makes me wonder why Lord_lemonpie even got close enough for it to be a threat.  It could have jumped out, but he was in a fairly open section of the caverns.  Plus, there was no obvious blood trail to show he'd been dragged by a cavern denizen.  Suspiciously, his quiver and crossbow were missing.  I'll have to post a small guard detail at the cavern entrance, I don't trust something that knows how to use a crossbow to get caught in the cage traps.

Of interest, just an hour ago a gremlin was discovered in the hallway.  Fortunately it was discovered before it did anything, unfortunately it managed to escape into the caverns.  Perhaps this was the creature that stole Lord_lemonpie's weapon?  Gremlins are known to like shiny objects.  I just hope something more dangerous didn't make off with it.

In the mean time, I better get back to my training.  Someone has to replace Dhoor, and if I can't find someone to do it, I think it would make the military happier knowing that their overseer will stand by them when the time comes.  Hopefully they won't take it as usurping and kill me in my sleep.  That would put a damper on my day.

I think I may have broken the record for the number of dead named dwarves in one turn for Harvestcoast.  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:33:31 pm by Torgue »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:36 pm »

Is it bad that I want to call dibs on being next militia commander?

Also, I need to start posting journals at some point. I have some written up, but I have to remember where I saved them to.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2014, 05:07:43 pm »

Hey, Torgue, how's the push to the new year going?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2014, 04:25:33 am »

Torgue?are you there,man?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 19, 2014, 10:54:28 am »

So it's been 2 weeks since Torgue's last post, and a week since than402 and I tried bumping the thread for attention. And it's been nearly 2 months since this turn started. I'm quite willing to wait if Torgue is still interested in playing this year through to the end, but if there's still no word by, say, next Thursday (25th), should I just start the year anew? Thoughts?

Edit: Spell names correctly

dwarobaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 19, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »

Loose page found in Dhoors Journal, no date.

"The pain is unbearable. I feel there's something wrong going under those sutures and bandages. Like tiny, little worms eating me from inside. And that stench. Doctors say I'll be fine but I don't think so. I'm going to fell down in the middle of a hallway someday and won't get up...
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, maybe the pain would stop? And maybe the whole shit that happend to me would turn out to be just one of my nightmares. Since Houns death there's no single night without them. But can you have nightmares in nightmares? It would look like a long freaking dream.
I wish I could wake up without the pain, it would be... pleasant."

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 20, 2014, 03:39:47 am »

So it's been 2 weeks since Torgue's last post, and a week since than402 and I tried bumping the thread for attention. And it's been nearly 2 months since this turn started. I'm quite willing to wait if Torgue is still interested in playing this year through to the end, but if there's still no word by, say, next Thursday (25th), should I just start the year anew? Thoughts?

if we are to continue,yes you should

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 20, 2014, 10:18:16 pm »

if we are to continue,yes you should
Agreed.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2014, 02:45:39 pm »

Sorry about the delays, a lot of stuff came up.

I know I've been taking too long, so I made a decision.  My next update comes out on Wednesday, when I get a day off.  Whether I finish the winter or not, I'll post the save for Escondida.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:58 pm »

Rock on. I know how it is; real life is always getting in the way of the important stuff, like silly dwarf stories.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26