Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Harvestcoast - A new, smelly surprise around every corner [Turn 9 complete!]  (Read 40322 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Harvestcoast - The Odd Little Fort By The Sea
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 03:08:55 pm »

I can't wait until someone discovers the 'surprise' I added via modding. It's already been hinted at, but it doesn't seem to have quite attracted anyone's attention just yet.

Also, Icecoon-dwarf is a woman.
くコ:彡

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2014, 04:08:19 pm »

I can't wait until someone discovers the 'surprise' I added via modding. It's already been hinted at, but it doesn't seem to have quite attracted anyone's attention just yet.

Oh, dear...that sounds nice and ominous.

Whoops, sorry! That's what I get for not double-checking the first post, I suppose. I can't believe I made that mistake (even if it only applies to the dwarf; I don't know either way), considering how sick I get of being on the receiving end of that self-same assumption online. Palm, meet face.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2014, 04:27:11 pm »

i believe i did.a door betrayed it,but more on that later.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »

Alright ladies and gentlemen,Harvescoast year 153.The save is coming up soon

1st Granite,153

Apparently,it is my turn to rule.It surely has been an eventful year the last one.We've grown 10 times our size in just two years.Wow.And now we have attracted the attention of centaurs,goblins and kobolds.Well,we all knew the moment would come.We just wanted some more time.Still,whining won't do us any good.Let's get down to

business.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2nd Granite,153

Hoooo boy,do i have some work to do.The first thing i noticed,is we didn't had a bookkeeper.I have already appointed one,however.I even appointed an office.

Ok,it's not exactly the royal throne room,but it will have to do for now.

I also gave some puppies,a bunny and a blue peahen for adoption.Why a blue peahen?Because of their wonderful coloration.

Finally,we have absolutely no fortifications to speak of.I shall build a wall above the entrance.Maybe some cage traps outside,some serrated disks for anyone who makes it inside.Fortunately,we have lots of blocks.

1st Slate,153

Overview of the month:

The mayor is an ass like always.He keeps pestering me about the crowns,his dining rooms,his office...I will try to satisfy his stupid demands(no doubt he will ban the export of crowns soon after,thus negating our work),but if he orders the punishment of someone and that someone dies or is crippled...well,a lot of accidents can

happen in a fort.

A kobold thief was caught and was mauled by our dogs soon after.His screams could be heard even in the depths of the fort.

Our fortification is ready.Now all we have to do is place some traps.

The bookkeeper is already making progress.

I noticed we didn't have a stone stockpile,so i made one.

Also,we had a birth.Congratulations!

5th Slate,153

The goblins are active again.I ordered our military outside.

12th Slate,153

Led,you ass...the fisherdwarf had nothing to do with your goddamn crown

Also,we had some more migrants.I am currently working to build decent accomodations for everyone.

9th Felsite,153

Just finished three steel helmets.I considered making complete suites of armor,but then again we already have iron armor and a dwarf can survive a hit to any part of his body except the head.Now all we have to do is make more steel.Also,i changed our meeting hall from the well to the restaurant.Far less chances to be massacred by a

goblin ambush.

14th Felsite,153

The mayor wanted a millstone,i made him a millstone.Now he imposed a ban on millstones.I guess he really likes millstones.Also,the elves have arrived.They brought some very interesting animals with them.I mobilised the military,because caravan arrival is the goblins' favourite ambush period.

Also...uh oh,our very first goblin siege.Hammermen,and a lasher on an elk bird.Better be careful.I closed the doors for now.

4th Hematite,153

We have to break the siege eventually.And while we're at it,place some traps from where they came and expand the fortifications to the well and the pasture,but for now,i recruited some more guys in the military and i'm working with Kol to provide them decent iron armor and steel weapons.I also set up a marksdwarf squad.We have many good shooters in the fort,it would be a shame not to use them.

17th Hematite,153

The vampire's sentence is ending,but i'm locking him inside forever.He will never threaten anyone again.

19th Malachite,153

Whew.The armor and the weapons sure were busy work,but we're getting there.In the meantime,the elves seem to have gone mad from the isolation.Dibs on their stuff!

3rd Galena,153

We attacked.We won,but it was a pyrrhic victory at best.Beirus is dead,along with 4 other dwarves and a baby(who is stupid enough to bring a baby to battle?).We killed 6 goblins,and captured two more.They will pay for this,i swear.

5th Galena,153

In the aftermath of the battle,i have decided we should change our tactics.We simply can't sustain the casualty rate.We have crossbows,so we'll use them.I shall build ramps going up to the wall.I shall also try to replace all of our iron equipment with steel,and i will make more bolts from copper,as well as copper crossbows(the wooden ones weren't bad,but we can do better).

20th Galena,153

Humans.That's good.Also,more goblins.Come on,not even three weeks have passed!They killed a marksdwarf,and then got beaten by our melee squad and the humans.

22th Galena,153

Okay,seriously.Two days.It's been two armok damned days,and the goblins send another squad.Thankfully,however,this time all of us were inside or near the entrance.Furthermore,their leader and only archer has been caught.Let's see how they like been shot to death.

3rd Limestone,153

The goblins are dead or captured and the humans are inside,with no casualties on our side.So far so good.If only all of our battles were that easy.

6th Limestone,153

I passed by the hospital to see how Dhoor is doing.Sadly,the doctors weren't very optimistic.I also went to see how the trade with the humans was going.Sadly,they had nothing.No metals,no weapons worth a damn,no booze.I traded some rock crafts for some plants.Hopefully,we can make drinks out of some of them and eat the rest.

10th Sandstone,153

More migrants

18th Sandstone,153

We've lost a baby to infection recently.We've got to start making soap.However,apparently Dhoor's infection has passed.Or so the doctors say.

13th Timber,153

Finally,the dwarven caravan!The last two were...disappointing would be putting it mildly,but finally we can buy what we really need.

My first masterwork!And a steel breastplate,no less!I've never been more happy in my life!

17th Timber,153

We've sold to the caravan all these cloth bins the elves left behind,and in return we took steel,metal boots,plants and booze.Lots of booze.Money well spent.

Why did nobody noticed this ruined wagon?It's full of goods,including steel anvils.

10th Moonstone,153

All of a sudden,Zasit started screaming and running to the workshops.She shoved a dwarf working at a craftsbench and did not even noticed she gave birth during all this.That was...scary to say the least.

12th Moonstone,153

Zasit started screaming something about bones,so i ordered some birds to be butchered.Whatever it takes to get her back to her senses as soon as possible.

16th Moonstone,153

Let's see what this is about

21st Moonstone,153

The artifact is finished.It is a bone door with the ascension of the queen drawn on her,coincidentally the most impressive door i've ever seen.And i didn't even knew doors could be made out of bone.However,as we examined the door,we noticed something weird about the queen:why is her smile so wide?why is her skin so pale and her eyes red?And then we looked at the teeth...

None of us said a word for five minutes as we connected the dots and reached to the inevitable implication:

I waved the mayor to go distract the liaison,and invited the rest to my bedroom to discuss the matter.

We fell on Zasit,bombarding her with questions:How did she kew?did the spirit who guided her identified itself?Was she certain of the charge?She was more confused then us,however,so we then stated discussing about the door:First,how could we base a charge that would cost us our heads based on a door?We agreed that,since the artifacts are gifts from Armok,he was trying to warn us about it.And indeed,there have been many artifacts prophecising events that would come to be.That was a gift from the heavens and could not be ignored.But what would we do with the door?The safe course would be to destroy her.Me and some others vocally protested against it.An artifact door was exactly what we needed right now.It would grant us safety and time for the inevitable second siege from the goblins.To squander that gift would incur the wrath of the divines.And gods know we have enough troubles as it is.But the next time the dwarven caravan would come,they would see the door and charge us for treason.Finally,we have already lost two dwarves on the bloodsuckers.I,for one, would not tolerate to be ruled by one.After some more debating,we agreed to install the door after the caravan left for the Mountainhomes,and do so with the painting on the inside.We would deal with the matter of the queen in due time.

14th Opal,153

Don't say door,don't say door...

I may as well be the first overseer who says he can scarcely believe the news and mean it:the vampire queen wants to elevate us to a land of the realm!complete with our own nobility and the aspect to rise even higher into position.For a second,i considered turning it down,but then i thought:what better way to expose and bring down the queen rather than a coup from her own nobility?So i agreed.First i considered appointing myself,but then i realised how vain this would look.So i appointed Zaerosz,since he was the one who brought us here in the first place.

25th Opal,153

We've finished the paperwork about the promotion to a barony,so the liaison asked me what we required as customary.I answered:coal,booze and steel everything.

15th Obsidian,153

I still have two more weeks as an overseer,so i must tie up loose ends.I bid farewell to Zaerosz and the liaison,and the moment they left we replaced the door.So many troubles because of that door,and yet it's so...marvelous.Truly such a masterpiece is created once in a thousand years.Work in the forges continues as usual.I made sure our melee squad has aceess to steel breastplate and mail shirts too,and i'm working on creating steel greaves too.Maybe one day we will be able to dress in steel not only the military,but ever dwarf in the hold.That way we won't have to worry about goblin ambushers,kobold thieves,wild centaurs and snatchers.Maybe...

1st Granite,154

This is my last day as an overseer.This has been a...colourful and productive year.There is still much to be done,but we are good.We have now a voice in the nobility of the realm,our defences are fine(and now even better with the artifact door),our stockpiles are filled with booze,food and goods and our army is getting better and better with each day.I believe we have a bright future ahead of us,but we need to tread carefully,especially regarding our new "discovery".I wish the best of lucks to

whoever comes next.

And now my challenge.Or should i say challenges?I have three:an easy one,a hard one and a very hard one:

Easy:Arm all squads with steel equipment

Hard:Invite the queen and arrange an "accident" to befall both her,and her court

Very hard:Arm with steel the entire fort

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2014, 05:02:25 pm »

Oh dear lord I'm a baron. I am so, so sorry in advance.

Also that wasn't the surprise I modded in, as vampires are immune to modding. Good job, though, we have some semblance of a story now.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2014, 05:06:17 pm »

huh...and i thought vampires would be the theme of this fort.well,as you said it's a fascinating discovery regardless.let's see what it is,then.

by the way,the save is stuck in the dffd limbo.it uploads a part,then,stops,then uploads,some more,then goes back...it's really weird.If somebody had the same problem and can help me,i will be able to upload it more quickly
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:26:55 pm by than402 »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2014, 05:41:01 pm »

Welp, looks like I'm up next. Huzzah! I'll check back in a bit, and hopefully than402 will have had better luck with dffd by then.

Hounskull

• Bay Watcher
  • draws stupid things
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2014, 06:45:21 pm »

Oh my god so much progress. YES I WAS HOPING FOR VAMPIRES. uahahauaha.
I have a lot of drawing to do. Vampires and Centaurs and weird doors.
And I'll try to make a wider version of the DwarfvsFish Knife Fight, it wasn't drawn particularly wide but I'll see what I can do c:

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2014, 06:53:52 pm »

Oh, by the way, than42...I note you seem to be using a tileset. I recently learned that to fix a game with tilesets installed, you need either the lazy newb pack or a set of the raws the world was genned with. I have neither, since the world was modded. Does the version you uploaded still have the tiles installed?

Hounskull

• Bay Watcher
  • draws stupid things
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2014, 07:40:45 pm »

Here's the knife fight, as large as it gets ahah.

(oh wow that's large um okay have fun with that)
Probably could have put a bit more time into the surroundings but hey, it's done now. Time to draw angry centaurs  8)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2014, 08:40:08 pm »

I can feel that this succession fort has the potential to become nearly as epic, if not as epic, as boatmurdered.... Love it so far. c:
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:02 pm »

I can feel that this succession fort has the potential to become nearly as epic, if not as epic, as boatmurdered.... Love it so far. c:
High praise indeed.

Hounskull

• Bay Watcher
  • draws stupid things
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 11:32:55 pm »

I present, for your viewing pleasure - Dhoor strangling a centaur strangling a peasant.

As far as I know Dhoor didn't actually strangle any centaurs but a centaur definitely strangled a peasant and it just seemed amusing stupid appropriate.
The centaur may be a touch more majestic that it really needs to be, but I like centaurs and I will fight you over that.

Okay it's vampire time  8)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:36:31 pm by Hounskull »

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 01:58:17 am »

This just keeps getting better and better! Than, could I see Benev's character sheet and kill sheet?

Here's another entry, hope you guys like it.

Benev's Diary
Slate 20, 152

I always admired animal men, for their honorable culture and self-reliance. It seems I was wrong, at least where centaurs are concerned. They have come  to steal what we have made and earned and destroy what we are trying to build. We will beat them back.

A ... strange thing happened yesterday. I was out hunting, and was closing in on a shot, when an idiot peasant tried, of all things he could have been doing, to ride one of the centaurs. The next thing the fool knew, he was dangling by the neck from the Horse-man's hands.I remember thinking that he looked a lot like Stukos, a crossbowdwarf who tried to defect to the elves, back in the Mountainhomes. I didn't know the guy well, but apparently he went into a fey mood and came back "with the soul of an elf", if that makes any sense. He had made his own headband and traded in his stout crossbow for a silly elven thing that he had pieced together from wood scraps! Because he wanted to join the the plant-huggers, the Duke decided to hang him from a rope reed rope, "killing him by the hug of a plant" or some other silly thing. I thought that if dwarves should die at the hands of dwarves, they should die in a dwarven way, by steel or mountain-blood, but no one cared to listen.

Alright, I've delayed enough, and my thoughts are as collected as they'll ever be. Here's what happened when I saw the peasant getting strangled. I thought of Stukos, my eyes closed, and... I went to sleep. I don't know what else to call it. BLUDGEON!SWIPE!SWING!LOOSE! I remember swirling colors, and when I woke up, the centaur was dead, with a bolt in its skull, my crossbow was empty, and the peasant was dead next to the centaur, with a strange dent in his skull along with the marks of the centaur's fingers on his throat. It looked like a crossbow hit did him in, but... it couldn't have been me, right? I decided that since I didn't see any of what happened, I wasn't going to add any kills to my list. You can never really say you've defeated a foe when you've seen his end and said farewell. Also, my leg hurts, like I was punched and then dangled upside down by my toes. Odd, huh?

More to come, I think.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:59:31 am by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 02:25:02 am »

Oh, by the way, than42...I note you seem to be using a tileset. I recently learned that to fix a game with tilesets installed, you need either the lazy newb pack or a set of the raws the world was genned with. I have neither, since the world was modded. Does the version you uploaded still have the tiles installed?

english is not my mother language,so huh???how can i install the tileset to a save file?and how can i remove it?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:15:18 am by than402 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26