Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 80139 times)

jazzable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 12:31:37 pm »

Concerning stability...i´m getting an occasional CTD i´ve not seen in the old versions; a strange error in room weight calculations (something along that line) when descending to a new level.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 01:46:20 pm »

Eesh, been a bit since I checked the thread... as to this:
Soooo, about what % of this game is finished? Because it looks super complex, but at times it feels like it should have ten times what it does, like there are big gaps in the game. Probably because I cannot look up what things do. Wiki is barren.
The answer is kinda' wibbly. Mechanics wise, Inc was probably a good 60-70% complete, maybe more (but less than 90%, I'd say) at the point the original dev set it free. Much of the remaining stuff, so far as I was aware, was AI (re)development, finishing up prestige classes, subraces, etc., and those bits of skills and/or spells and/or abilities that would only function in the greater game.

Content wise, though... maybe 10-15%, if I had to ballpark it based on my understanding. Halls of the Goblin King is basically a tech demo -- more than that, it's a combat tech demo that specifically excludes several of the major intended combat scenarios (urban and wilderness, particularly). It largely excludes everything social JM was intending (from what I recall -- standard faulty memory disclaimers, etc.) to implement, the whole "overworld", "multiple dungeons", and "cities" things that were intended, and who knows what else. Return of the Forsaken was very much ambitious -- Halls of the Goblin King was just laying the major mechanical foundation that was going to build a much larger (both in terms of size, and thematically) game. If I had to kinda' wedge in an estimate of size, I'd say smaller than DF, larger than ADOM or ToME4. RotF sounded like it was going to have a lot going for it, and a lot going on.

Incidentally, the white paper speaks quite a bit on stuff like that, particularly the future development part.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:48:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »

Posting to watch.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 03:28:28 pm »

Concerning stability...i´m getting an occasional CTD i´ve not seen in the old versions; a strange error in room weight calculations (something along that line) when descending to a new level.
And which version are you using?

If you get a save file that has the CTD happen after it, please upload it as an issue on the bitbucket site.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »

If anyone wishes to help out development, but does not have the programming ability to fix bugs, please go to the issues page and look for something interesting.  Then if the issue does not have a save file attached, recreate the given situation so it can be reproduced next, and save the game.  Then compress the game and attach it to the issue.

The idea is that I can then immediately reproduce the problem without contriving the reported situation myself, and this will allow me to fix a lot of things quickly.  Rather than spending most of the time contriving situations.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

CWheezy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 05:07:00 am »

Are you interested in any balance style changes, or are we stuck in 3.0?

Rogues monks and warriors are ass haha

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 08:44:37 am »

Wiki upgrade would make this game a lot more popular. I stopped playing because most of the things I looked up weren't there.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 10:10:43 am »

That'd be something for the players to have a go at, really. M'terrible with wiki stuff, which is why I didn't mess with it any even back when it was being meaningfully updated. The wiki itself was never directly connected with the game -- entirely player run, etc. As I've said previously, though, the in-game help and whatnot is pretty darn thorough, and the game is generally very transparent about mechanics and enemy stats and such. M'never entirely sure what a wiki would meaningfully add, beyond maybe tips and junk.

As for balance stuff, I think the consensus was "maybe after the bugs are squashed and remaining stuff implemented" with a side of "major consensus between players re: needed changes will be considered for implementation first". Personally, unless a class is unwinnable, I wouldn't suggest touching them until everything else is done -- and of the three noted, only monks really approach having a problem, and even that's only starting off (if that -- they're usually fine even then if you hold off on trying to punch things to death for a bit). Warriors are death machines once they've got the kit to offset their terrible utility, and rogues just pick up Use Magic and blow everything to hell* (they're often cited as one of the easier classes to win with, so I'm not sure "ass" is how they're rightfully described). Even monks do alright once they've got some levels in 'em.

*Mind you, anyone can do that, but skillmonkey rogues have an easier time than most. Skill mastery + skill focus + high int = massive UMD checks all day erry day.
Ask not!
Ask!

CWheezy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 06:35:48 pm »

Are you interested in any balance style changes, or are we stuck in 3.0?

Rogues monks and warriors are ass haha
Well, any balance changes have to be proposed by someone else, and debated by the community.  If I am convinced after that, I am happy to incorporate them.  Otherwise, someone else can release their own balanced version.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 06:36:47 pm »

Wiki upgrade would make this game a lot more popular. I stopped playing because most of the things I looked up weren't there.
Like?  If you were to list the things you expected to find there, then maybe the gaps could be filled.

CWheezy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:19 pm »

Since I consider them terrible I would like advice on monks/rogues! I like to be proven wrong on my assumptions!

So far my suggestions are Condensed skilll list and more skill points for all

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 12:40:03 am »

Did you know that the difficulty opening a locked object, is relative to the depth of the dungeon level you try and open it in?  This is probably done as the easiest approach, but I guess if you were desperate, you could rationalise it to the difference in air pressure inside and outside the container at different "atmospheric levels" on the manipulability of the object's lock..

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 01:59:05 am »

Aye, pretty much all passive DC stuff like that -- both for traps and locks, and probably some other junk -- increase with depth. I think the rationalization is that the earlier levels kill off the less competent lockmakers.

As for rogues -- sneaky, skill focus (Use Magic), stealth around picking up wands and the blowing everything into little pieces. Wands get completely and utterly ridiculous incredibly quickly, and there's literally nothing else in the game as capable of exploiting the involved skillchecks better than rogues, iirc. You can stab a few things in the process, I guess, or start as drow (or elf, I guess? I think they start with something both usable and ranged, too) and crossbow things until you can wand stuff to death or whatev'. Almost definitely want high int -- if you can live long enough to enable skill mastery with a high int rogue you can pretty promptly start doing silly things like permastealthing across the ceiling blowing everything up with doomwands. Skills are pretty great. Stealth is pretty alright.

There's plenty of other ways to run 'em, too. I've seen other folks do good things with some assassin and/or shadow-whatever prestige classing.

With monks, mostly just use your quarterstaff or whatever for the first bit. Don't forget you've got the chakram -- might as well use it. Once you've got some BAB in you, a few feats stuck in your fists, and some skills and class features enabled you do pretty decently as plain ol' melee. You can stealth around as well, if you want. Probably go lizard for the native armor, I'unno, or orc for the late game (disease immunity, omnomnom). Eventually you'll be immune to a lot of junk (orc luv, baby) and have some pretty killer skill rolls (especially for stuff like jump, which is actually pretty awesome if you've got enough bonus in it to make the friggin' jumps) as well as fists that can actually hurt critters and pretty quick feet. Maybe take a level of druid at some point to pick up magic fang (and hell, lifesight and longstrider while you're at it) if you're feeling frisky. I think there's a couple of monk gods that are okay with druids, if my memory's not failing.
Ask not!
Ask!

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2014, 02:32:16 am »

Aye, pretty much all passive DC stuff like that -- both for traps and locks, and probably some other junk -- increase with depth. I think the rationalization is that the earlier levels kill off the less competent lockmakers.
Yes, but you would think that the DC would stay the same for a lockable object found on level X and carried up and down levels.  Consistency is important from my perspective.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24