Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 80140 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2014, 02:51:57 pm »

But didn't have said feat either. Still, checked the description both of the feat and of the domains, don't see why I would be able to put twice as much skill points in craft and nearly so in decipher script. Here's the descriptions:
Ok it's if you have the Domains feat or ability, you get it's level as a bonus to the max ranks for all abilities or whatever relating to your selected domains.  It's confusing.  But in your case you have Domains, and it's level is 1, so that bumps the max rank up to the next rung.

And on something I'm pretty sure is a bug but I'm not absolutely 100% sure:
On the attached save, the character seems to have gotten a permanent -2 conditional modifier to a number of statistics, including all saves and the attack ability, but I can't find a reason for it to have so. I've dropped everything but the weapon I'm wielding, tried to cancel everything that could be cancelled, I've used wizard mode to get a potion of remove curse, checked all possible conditions I have, tried to see if it was something related to the area I was in, among a couple minor others.
Go to wizard mode, and examine player data.  Scroll down through the Stati listing, and there are two ADJUST CIRC entries of -1 from Aid and a dwarf and hill orc respectively.  This looks legitimate.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2014, 03:46:35 pm »

Go to wizard mode, and examine player data.  Scroll down through the Stati listing, and there are two ADJUST CIRC entries of -1 from Aid and a dwarf and hill orc respectively.  This looks legitimate.
Found it. Is it supposed to be permanent though? It doesn't seem to be reducing no matter what I do or how much time I let pass.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2014, 07:13:11 pm »

Found it. Is it supposed to be permanent though? It doesn't seem to be reducing no matter what I do or how much time I let pass.
I hoped you'd know what it was from.  Is it possible you disguised yourself as both a dwarf and a hill orc at some time?  That's the closest SS_MISC -1 A_AID modifier I can find in the code.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2014, 07:30:02 pm »

I hoped you'd know what it was from.  Is it possible you disguised yourself as both a dwarf and a hill orc at some time?  That's the closest SS_MISC -1 A_AID modifier I can find in the code.
Actually, yes. Disguised myself as a dwarf to trick a dwarf into Xel's altar, then changed disguise to an orc to consider grabbing another guy without dropping the previous disguise first. Thought the character would do that automatically, but guess I was wrong.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2014, 07:57:11 pm »

Actually, yes. Disguised myself as a dwarf to trick a dwarf into Xel's altar, then changed disguise to an orc to consider grabbing another guy without dropping the previous disguise first. Thought the character would do that automatically, but guess I was wrong.
How do you drop a disguise?  Only way I can find is to bring up the disguise menu again, which does it automatically.  Is there another way?  In any case, this is clearly a bug in disguise removal.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »

How do you drop a disguise?  Only way I can find is to bring up the disguise menu again, which does it automatically.  Is there another way?  In any case, this is clearly a bug in disguise removal.
I'm fairly sure it's possible to do so with the "x" menu, but lemme check a couple things first.

Edit, checked: Yes, you can drop your disguise by opening the "x" menu. Secondly, the disguise penalties, or at least the ones in the 10-14 bracket, are apparently coming over as permanent, no way to lose them once they were acquired.

Edit2: On a only tangentially related request: Is there any synergy list for skills? Or any plans for making one? It'd be nice to plan your characters if you knew what skills positively affect each other.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:21:03 pm by Felius »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:30 pm »

Edit2: On a only tangentially related request: Is there any synergy list for skills? Or any plans for making one? It'd be nice to plan your characters if you knew what skills positively affect each other.
No.  The reason for half these bugs we are dealing with is the sheer complexity of the source code.  Half of the stuff I come across is opaque and I wouldn't realise it was having the effect it was on the player, until someone pointed it out.

In an ideal world, these things would be cleaned up, but it's just.. everything.  So we are stuck with the complexity.  Maybe over time a slow procedural clean-up can be done, but a rewrite would just be insane.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:17:14 pm by chooseusername »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2014, 07:53:23 am »

No.  The reason for half these bugs we are dealing with is the sheer complexity of the source code.  Half of the stuff I come across is opaque and I wouldn't realise it was having the effect it was on the player, until someone pointed it out.

In an ideal world, these things would be cleaned up, but it's just.. everything.  So we are stuck with the complexity.  Maybe over time a slow procedural clean-up can be done, but a rewrite would just be insane.
I understand. Oh well, I'll try to get a manually generated synergy list when I have the time.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2014, 02:19:49 am »

I just downloaded this game and tried it, but I have a problem: the game window always updates one frame behind of what I'm doing. This makes a turn-based game unplayable. Does anyone know of a fix? I found nothing in the manual or "known issues" page on the wiki, and the bug tracker gave me a 404.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2014, 07:34:51 am »

I just downloaded this game and tried it, but I have a problem: the game window always updates one frame behind of what I'm doing. This makes a turn-based game unplayable. Does anyone know of a fix? I found nothing in the manual or "known issues" page on the wiki, and the bug tracker gave me a 404.

Sounds like you downloaded the outdated Julian Mensch version, are you sure you've got 0.9.6Ix version?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2014, 07:47:06 am »

Version 0.6.9h. Perhaps a little outdated. That's probably it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:42 pm »

Version 0.6.9h. Perhaps a little outdated. That's probably it.

0.6.9h is the last one by Julian, before choose ported from Allegro to libtcod. The buggy refresh was one of the things that necessitated the move.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y15 - Festivus release!
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »

Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y15 - December 23rd / Festivus release

An updated download is available on bitbucket: 0.6.9Y15.

This release should be the most stable one yet.  A lot of bugs introduced while cleaning up the code since taking up the project, have been fixed.  In addition to a good raft of legacy bugs.  Even one feature!

Changes:
  • Issue 4: Implemented 'amplify spell' metamagic feat.  This reduces the target's magic resistance by 25%.
  • Issue 44: Added note to empty handed warning about ability to switch warning off in the options.
  • Issue 46: Character sheet recall monster option allows a user to read a card detailing the selected monster type.  However, certain monster categories were not displaying correctly because the value was bumped 100000 as an indicator and the value's variable was an int16.  Reported by Stone_Dog@Bitbucket.
  • Issue 179: Legacy bug!  If you provide an assignment operator overload, then you should provide a matching copy constructor.  The reason for this is that you are sometimes likely to assign in a variable declaration, which uses the latter not the former.  Not providing the copy constructor, will do a bitwise copy which will result in this case in EventInfo instances sharing the same string references.  The first to get destroyed, will destroy the strings it thinks it owns, and either corruption or crashing will then happen.  Reported by Felius@Bay12.
  • Issue 183: If the user set 'Roguelike Keyset' to 'ON' and 'Shift Arrow Keys' to 'Run', shift and any of the 'vi keys' would not result in the player running.  This is an artifact of the move from Allegro to libtcod.  There's a special place in hell reserved for the SDL developers and their new API which goes lowest common denominator in order to cram in support for the mobile experience.  If someone presses 'h' it is a text event, if someone presses shift+'h' it is a key event with the shift modifier.  Ugh.  Reported by dck k, with reproduction case.
  • Issue 185: The victim oriented message shown to bystanders when an attack attempt was towards a weapon, rather than it's wielder, was about the actor rather than the victim.   This meant a mud elemental attacking a weapon would result in a message describing the weapon to be the mud elemental's rather than the wielders.  Reported by Georgy Vlasov.
  • Issue 186: 'One body, one soul' feat was intended to substitute best attribute value out of wisdom and constitution in some circumstances, but the code was wrong.  Reported by Karagy, with patch.
  • Issue 187: Doing an enter action via the 'y' use menu did not validate the target object type before sending the event, and the script engine would choke when it found that whatever it was the player was trying to enter, was not a portal.  Reported by Karagy, with handy save file.
  • Issue 188: Selecting an item from the inventory would crash if there were more than 100 items in there somewhere.  This was a hard-coded limit added in a previous bug fix, for some reason.  Now buffer is reallocated by enumeration function and problem goes away.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 189: Precision strike had no range constraint, allowing it to be used against distant targets.  It uses the wielded weapon, otherwise the default attack of the racial type.  If the wielded weapon was ranged, then it was used as a brawl weapon naively.  For now precision strike cannot be used if the wielded weapon is ranged.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 190: If a god is angry but decides to act later, then a stati was registered for it. Unfortunately, it wasn't checked if there was already such a stati from a previous decision to act and act later, so they accumulate and the maximum number of stati that can be present on the player is hit, resulting in a red box.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 191: When people use the roguelike keyset, this overrides all the keys that comprise the roguelike keyset to do arrow key movements.  Unfortunately this means that any menu that expects these keys gets the movement character instead.  Including in this case, the learn spell option in the character sheet.  Now if roguelike keyset is in use, 'E' is advertised as the key instead of 'L'.  Reported by Thyme Oregano@Bitbucket.
  • Issue 192: Compilation warning fixes broke money transfers, resulting in bugged amounts being transferred due to signed/unsigned variable interaction.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 193: Compilation warning fixes broke casted touch attacks, resulting in crashes.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 194: Compilation warning fixes broke praying for aid.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 195: Observed messages where the action for some reason could be observed, but the actor could not be identified, would report the action as 'It blah blah..' as a substitution for 'The thing blah blah..'.  Now, the message observed is 'Something blah blah..' in this case.
  • Issue 196: When someone successfully counterspells, they get the act factored into when their next action happens, as a delay. The problem was that counterspell has benefits over and above the advertised ones, where the delay is reduced as the skill level of counterspell increases. This then goes negative at a certain level, and puts the player out of commission with a permanent timeout.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 199: The poison doses requires to coat each 10 missiles, required 1 dose for the first 20 and an additional dose for each additional 10. This is bad math. It should be 1 dose per 10. Reported by Felius@Bay12.
  • Issue 200: Undefined 141 appeared in character abilities listing, this is because Master Artisan lacked an entry in the naming table.
  • Issue 201: The code which considers paralysis of a target as valid for coup de gras checked skills on the actor, rather than the victim.  Reported by Felius@Bay12, with handy save file.
  • Issue 202: The attribute rolling animation took a strangely long time.  The animation display update, and display delay were the same, but just seemed more effective (and slower) under libtcod.  This is fixed by only updating the animation for the first 0.5 seconds of the roll, as it's all a super fast graphical affectation anyway.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:33:03 pm by chooseusername »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2014, 04:11:13 pm »

At the moment gaze attacks are either ineffectual if the player has their eyes closed, or potentially ineffectual if the player has their eyes averted.  Or if the player is wearing lenses that achieve the same thing.

Personally, I think that this should only apply to classical gaze attacks, like those of a basilisk or medusa.  Or one where something logical like hypnotism is involved - like a devilfish.

I propose to go through the gaze attacks and only have this protection apply where it is classically known to work, or where it is logically expected to work.  Objections?

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 22, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »

@chooseusername: in your opinion how far have you brought the game since you took it over? Do you consider the game far more stable? The code cleanup... I take this to mean the code was really hard to work with and you made it easier for you to enhance in the future right? Bad variable names, code not normalized, stuff like that right? I am guessing that you have made it alot more structured and easier to work with.

its hard to tell from lists of fixes how much has been done. Also with the code cleanup its best to ask the developer. Just asking your opinion. In case anyone is concerned I do not mean this as an attack on the original developer.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24