Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 80051 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:43 pm »

@chooseusername: in your opinion how far have you brought the game since you took it over? Do you consider the game far more stable? The code cleanup... I take this to mean the code was really hard to work with and you made it easier for you to enhance in the future right? Bad variable names, code not normalized, stuff like that right? I am guessing that you have made it alot more structured and easier to work with.

its hard to tell from lists of fixes how much has been done. Also with the code cleanup its best to ask the developer. Just asking your opinion. In case anyone is concerned I do not mean this as an attack on the original developer.
I have made lots and lots of minor changes.  The code cleanup consisted of me reformatting the code, and fixing compiler warnings.  Other than that the changes have been bug fixes, and getting the code to work to begin with.

The code is effectively the same as it was when I started, with the missing bits recreated (related to the scripting language), old buggy dependencies replaced (allegro -> libtcod as mentioned above), reformatting (where the whitespace and braces are made consistent) and the bug fixes.

I would class all my changes, with the exception of the libtcod work, and the scripting language work, as being cosmetic.  But the game is demonstrably more stable, just see the post above where someone downloaded the old release from Julian.

Have a Festivus!
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:56 pm »

taking over old foreign unformatted code... ouch. No wonder julian didn't want to keep working on it. He probably got better as a developer as he got older and was looking at his old code and going 'kill me'.

been there myself.Thank you for doing the really hard work on this.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2014, 08:54:45 pm »

taking over old foreign unformatted code... ouch. No wonder julian didn't want to keep working on it. He probably got better as a developer as he got older and was looking at his old code and going 'kill me'.

been there myself.Thank you for doing the really hard work on this.
The primary problem when it comes to working on it is that the gameplay is deep and detailed.  Badly formatted code is a minor detail.  The code is actually pretty well written, it just suffers from inevitable complexity given that gameplay.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2014, 08:58:37 pm »

@choose: that is understandable. he probably worked on it part time and his programming skills were improving while he was doing it. project was really big and got  unwieldy. Are you moving the logic around in ways that makes it easier to enhance?

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2014, 11:47:20 am »

I think this game is going to have quite a complicated rpg system. It has nice graphics. And there's a bunch of texts which makes it somewhat a smart game. I like that. I wish to see it entirely done oneday. But I can't get into the inventory system. I assume the character doesn't have any racksack, satchel or backpack at the begining of the game, right? So he can carry only what can be worn or wielded? How dp I look through the contents of the inventory (if it's even possible)?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:15:15 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2014, 01:36:53 pm »

Press i to see inventory. All those slots starting with numbers is stuff in your backpack.

Enable use inventory cursor in options, that way you'll be able to scroll down to your backpack.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2014, 07:11:42 pm »

So... has some group undertaken the development of the game, after the source was released?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2014, 10:52:48 pm »

So... has some group undertaken the development of the game, after the source was released?
A group of a single person composed by chooseusername. :P Otherwise, I don't remember any other group handling the maitenance and continued development of Incursion. There's a TOME based remake, but from what I understand it's still heavily WIP.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2014, 08:23:55 am »

What's the killer feature of this game?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2014, 08:25:32 am »

Being based on d20?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2014, 09:01:27 am »

So it's lore friendly and d&d simmy? Anything else?
Reading a thinner book

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2014, 09:05:02 am »

So it's lore friendly and d&d simmy? Anything else?

I've heard praises of its level generation, but having read some more (hint: it's region-based) I'm not sure what's so revolutionary about Julian's implementation. Anyhow, in practice it manages to give interesting levels (and no cut-off rooms and few dead ends).

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2014, 04:28:43 pm »

Is the download link on the site the most up to date version? The link proffered in this thread's OP is asking for liptcod.dll.

Ideally, this version should be fullscreen with survivable text size. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:37:19 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 30, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »

The sheer unbridled madness possible when dual-wielding spiked chains---among other possible high spectacle builds that can lead to incredible stories.   Pantheon also goes rather deep.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 30, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »

The sheer unbridled madness possible when dual-wielding spiked chains---among other possible high spectacle builds that can lead to incredible stories.   Pantheon also goes rather deep.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24