Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 79659 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2014, 09:41:38 pm »

Is the download link on the site the most up to date version? The link proffered in this thread's OP is asking for liptcod.dll.

Ideally, this version should be fullscreen with survivable text size. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
You're probably downloading the Windows XP compatible executable, which you don't need unless you need it.  It would only work anyway, if the general release archive was downloaded, and it was put in place of the executable that comes with it (which is predictably not Windows XP compatible).

I've rearranged the downloads.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2014, 08:41:54 am »

Thanks. How do i wear a crudely made ring? Ah fuck it and it's unhelpful wiki.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:05:20 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2014, 01:23:04 pm »

What's the killer feature of this game?

Being based on d20?

I highly recommend you stop referring to Incursion and Veins of the Earth as d20 games. THat doesn't make any sense to most of us. I don't know why d20 is special. I think you should say 'its based on AD&D 4th Edition rules and character creation is similiar to Never Winter Nights. I think more people will try these games out of you do that. It makes more sense.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2014, 02:15:39 pm »

(1) Nevertheless, how can I open my backpack and look through the contents? How do I put items in it?
(2) How to attack monsters?
(3) To the author: what is your current objective on features to be implemented and what will the game look like as it's finished (compared to the current state)? More dungeon levels or maybe you will add open ranges? Something like a storyline or just single quests?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:43:12 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »

What's the killer feature of this game?

Being based on d20?

I highly recommend you stop referring to Incursion and Veins of the Earth as d20 games. THat doesn't make any sense to most of us. I don't know why d20 is special. I think you should say 'its based on AD&D 4th Edition rules and character creation is similiar to Never Winter Nights. I think more people will try these games out of you do that. It makes more sense.

Well, d20 is a better moniker probably...d20 OGL'ish is closer, but doesn't flow as well.  The main people that will "get it" are P&P tabletop folks and those with a perhaps stronger than the norm RPG background.  It definitely isn't based on AD&D 4th Ed because that doesn't quite exist out of maybe some ongoing homebrew(The official AD&D line stopped at 2nd Ed if memory serves..), nor 4th ED D&D as that has no games outside of the Neverwinter MMO kinda as well as a murky licensing situation to which you'd not want to be claiming ANYTHING.

If guess if you wanted to go for maximum cheekiness you could just say they are "Roguelikes based on the greatest tabletop RPG classic of all time!~" as that's pretty much what every OSR Kickstarter project uses with a nod & wink, heh.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2015, 03:51:34 pm »

If you are wondering why you haven't got an answer, it's because your questions are ones that shouldn't be being asked.  They are things you'd naturally discover if you tried to play the game.  How you haven't discovered them, is perplexing.

(1) Nevertheless, how can I open my backpack and look through what's contained in there? How to put items in there?
Press '?' for help on keypresses.  It will tell you what key is used for what.  Key words to consider: inventory, get item.

(2) How can I attack monsters?
The same way you attack monsters in most games, move into them.

(3) To the author: which is your current objective on features to involve and what will the game look like when it will be finished(compared to the current state)? More dungeon levels or maybe you will add open ranges? Something like a storyline or single quests?
The author no longer works on the game.  The game is open source, and anyone can work on it, taking it any direction they want.

Personally, I have no objectives or plans.  I work on fixing bugs that I feel are worth my time.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Thydron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2015, 07:40:14 am »

I'm interested in trying to get some of the half-finished prestige classes working, and possibly adding new room types / map areas if I can figure out the code enough to do that (/ find the time).

The prestige classes work seems straightforward enough - I think the additional code for most of the abilities should be similar to existing prestige classes / monster abilities, so it should be mostly copying & adjusting existing code into prestige.irh in /lib/ & un-commenting the options out.

The map stuff seems trickier - the room types along with terrain features are in dungeon.irh in /lib/ (and there seems to be commented out code for a "Hellish rift" leading to an incomplete 9 hells sub-dungeon), and the Goblin Caves are specifically mentioned as being the over-arching dungeon, but I can't see where the code to control which rooms it contains on which levels is, apart from the bit at the top which adds the specific one-off dungeon features. So adding new room types seems like it'd be straightforward, but I'm not sure how you'd guarantee they actually make it into the game.

But adding new *shapes* of rooms would require more additions - at the moment they're all based on a set number of categories - e.g. mazes, surreal mazes, hedge mazes are all "RM_MAZE" types just with differing encounter lists / terrain. No idea where "RM_MAZE" is defined though, which I think would be where adding whole new shapes of rooms would need to be done (Or, really, if it needs to be. If people want to add towns etc. I think it'd be easier just to draw a specific map like the Goblin Encampment. So the room shape thing is probably not worth worrying about on reflection - think we've got enough generic types to work with, along with the ability to draw specific rooms if we want)

Adding a plain overland/outdoors room at the start with the Goblin dungeons just below would be the first step to getting additional separate dungeons added I think, but I also think that might break the specific "leaving the Goblin Dungeons" code / the code that stops you resting outside the dungeons once you hit a certain level. (And I have no idea where the code that puts the player in the Goblin Caves dungeon specifically at the start of the game is, or if that could easily be adapted to drop the player in "The World" dungeon first, with the Goblin caves as just a sub-dungeon)

More simply, from looking at the subraces.irh in /lib/, it seems like just removing the "if 0" / "endif" at the start / end might enable subraces? (plus toggling the selection in the options) Could be worth changing that in a test version and seeing what happens - I assume it was disabled by Journeyman so a reason, but possibly just for balance or because the sub-races weren't fleshed out rather than being game-breaking.

Essentially, I think if we can figure out how to add new dungeons / rooms, get an overland map with distinct towns / dungeons / forests etc working, and add quests / guilds in somehow, we'd be getting close to the original vision of the game. But I think a lot of that would be adding new code rather than just adapting what's there already, and I think is far beyond my abilities.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, the original technical white paper for the game that goes into some of the underlying coding philosophy / aims is at: http://www.incursion-roguelike.org/TechPaper%20%28Web%20Version%29.htm
There's also some comments from Journeyman from the old Google groups that mentioned aims for the overland / guilds / gods / quests etc - don't have time to dig them out now, but will see if I can find them at a later date for reference.

Realize I've rambled a bit here & this isn't the most coherent / structured set of comments (wrote much more than I intended to), but thought I'd add it in case anyone found it useful (/ as a reminder to myself later) - if anyone's had a look through the code and thinks I've got something wrong / knows the answers to some of those questions please let us know!
(And also many many thanks to chooseusername for the bugfixes & getting the code onto bitbucket!)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2015, 01:36:07 pm »

I am attempting to expand on Incursion's world in my own T-Engine remake, so any snippets regarding overland/quests would be much welcome!

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2015, 02:39:53 am »

I've committed a basically working Curses UI for the game to bitbucket.  It isn't fully working yet, scrollable text areas do not display.  And beyond that, blinking cursor support and testing some file operations is likely all that needs to be done to complete it.

Who does this benefit?  I like to tell myself that people who can't see good and use screen readers, will be able to play Incursion if this is available.  Will they play it?  Beats me.  Will it be playable for them, using a screen reader and this UI?  Beats me.  But it's one of those programming tasks that grabbed my interest and was always at the back of my mind eating away at me as an unfulfilled whim.  For those who can see good, there's some termrec program which records DOS console output which should allow you to distribute recordings of games, for others to watch or for you to recall your glory days.

Once the final small pieces of work have been done, I'll provide a new version of the build dependencies with the required files.  And binaries will be provided with each subsequent release, should there be any demand.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:50 am »

There is always value in bolstering the ability for folks to see all the action more clearly.   8)

Thydron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 20, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »

Right, have finally gotten round to digging out those high level comments from Julian - have paste-binned them in the absence of knowing anywhere better to put them (and not wanting to flood this thread)

Road to Return of the Forsaken: http://pastebin.com/ZzL5JKjV
Very high level comments on items planned, including prestige classes, subraces, urban environments, the wilderness

Dungeon Variety: http://pastebin.com/WjPLVbjw
Comments on plans for more single-thematic dungeons and related ideas (includes comments made by "Momaw" that Julian said were pretty close to his plans)

High level feats: http://pastebin.com/Fx6iQdR7
Intended high level feats not yet implemented

Spells: http://pastebin.com/Eke7jnpC
Intended high level spell list

Psionics: http://pastebin.com/YKVKnZ7p
Ideas about Psionics

Monster builds: http://pastebin.com/WtACagm7
Plans for templates to add to vanilla monsters (e.g. making a goblin a shadowdancer etc.), and ideas for some specific NPCs to be fought/traded with/recruited. I'm not sure how much of this has already been implemented - I've definitely seen build as described in this within the game already, but think this is more about getting monsters to be treated like PCs?

Monster AI: http://pastebin.com/jDz55JUL
Ideas about behaviours for the monster AI - e.g. targeting a summoner rather than summons, converting altars, etc.

I've been working on trying to frankenstein together code for the Crimson Adept; it's coming along ok but slowly.
(Also, while looking through the prestige class code, I think I've found a bug where some classes at least aren't giving the weapon proficiencies they say they do - I've tested this with a druid blackguard who didn't get access to blades / polearms as they should have - should be fairly simply to add so will aim to correct that at the same time)

edit: might as well note here that there are comments around intended new gods & domains in comments at the bottom of the relevant code: https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/src/572b49bdc86deb96968949bdf98708fb0f344a26/lib/religion.irh?at=master
and that some intended sub-races are already coded in but commented out: https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/src/572b49bdc86deb96968949bdf98708fb0f344a26/lib/subraces.irh?at=master

edit2:
along with psionic combat notes and ideas for new alchemical items in the alchemy code: https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/src/572b49bdc86deb96968949bdf98708fb0f344a26/lib/alchemy.irh?at=master
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:39:34 pm by Thydron »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 20, 2015, 11:34:54 pm »

You could commit a new file gathering it all together to the Docs directory in your own fork, then submit a pull request.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2015, 04:14:05 pm »

Something else that would be helpful (at least to me) would be establishing what is necessary to get the game to a 1.0 state, and what is bonus content.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2015, 09:14:44 am »

IMHO the necessary things are:
  • subraces
  • overland map
  • more dungeons
  • higher level spells & feats

Monster builds, AI improvements and psionic combat can probably come later.

Thydron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2015, 04:53:46 pm »

I'd agree with the above, and possibly also add towns, guilds & quests.
For flavour I'd say you'd also need the thirteen "Forsaken" that the player has to kill one of to end the game to make it a full "Return of the Forsaken 1.0" release. (I can't find it now, but I'm fairly certain Journeyman said somewhere that the plan was that the game was "won" after one was defeated; I'd imagine that killing all thirteen would be an additional "high score" option.)

Will follow the advice about the code forking once I've gotten the code to a sensible stopping point (Should hopefully be able to spend a decent amount of time on it this weekend).
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24