Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 79661 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:29 pm »

Hmm.  Isn't the current module set about killing a goblin king or something?  Isn't it practical to limit the gameplay to what's there now, i.e. dealing with the goblin king?  No overland?  And why are subraces important?

Not saying that this is how it should be or not, just curious of thoughts on the above.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Gomissar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2015, 01:10:54 am »

At the moment gaze attacks are either ineffectual if the player has their eyes closed, or potentially ineffectual if the player has their eyes averted.  Or if the player is wearing lenses that achieve the same thing.

Personally, I think that this should only apply to classical gaze attacks, like those of a basilisk or medusa.  Or one where something logical like hypnotism is involved - like a devilfish.

I propose to go through the gaze attacks and only have this protection apply where it is classically known to work, or where it is logically expected to work.  Objections?

A bit late with my reply here, but that would make some creatures way too powerful. For example, bodak already can instantly kill most characters 3 times out 4 as soon as it sees them. Actually, right now bodak can kill many players before they can even see it, because bodak has darkvision and its gaze works like a magic attack for some reason.
Finally, I don't see a reason to deviate from D&D in this particular case. It's not like gaze attacks are underpowered and blind fighting is not that easy. Can't say anything about lenses, though.

Thydron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2015, 05:44:31 am »

Hmm.  Isn't the current module set about killing a goblin king or something?  Isn't it practical to limit the gameplay to what's there now, i.e. dealing with the goblin king?  No overland?  And why are subraces important?

Not saying that this is how it should be or not, just curious of thoughts on the above.

Ah, I think Zireal & I may have misinterpreted your question as 'what would be necessary to turn Incursion into a 1.0 version of the full "Return of the Forsaken" planned game'.

In terms of what would be needed to get to a 1.0 just for the "Halls of the Goblin King" module, I think it's mostly there already - you can get down to the bottom of the dungeon, kill the king & emerge victorious, which is essentially the game. In terms of buggy-ness, I haven't played a full game recently, but I think most of the main showstoppers have been addressed?
The extra prestige classes / subraces / psionics aren't really necessary to finish the game successfully, so would probably come under bonus content.
The level cap could be pushed out to 20 & the associated feats/spells added; that was the planned level cap for the full game, but might be overkill for dealing with the Goblin Dungeon as is (though I imagine the dungeon depth could be increased fairly easily to compensate). That'd be quite an undertaking, though it's more adding lots of content rather than the adding new code features work that the overland etc. would involve. And again, none of that is really necessary to complete the game as is.

The full "Return of the Forsaken" game was planned to be a lot larger scale than just the one dungeon, more ADOM / Omega scale, hence the features we mentioned (and I think the Goblin King's dungeon itself probably would be a lot smaller & consistently goblin-themed in the full game; in the dungeon variety comments I added earlier Journeyman mentioned that it's a bit of a hodge-podge of all possible terrain / monster types at the moment mainly because there's nowhere else to put them)

And on the gaze attacks, I think I'd echo Gomissar's comments - a lot of the gaze attacks are very very nasty - I'm thinking of the grey nymph's "instant death due to beauty overload", which wouldn't be a classical gaze attack - if averting your eyes / fighting blind doesn't work against those, then that will make them a *lot* more deadly for fighters (/anyone who doesn't have access to a death ward spell), and I can't really think of how you'd deal with those sorts of creatures otherwise

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:49 am »

When it comes to the Goblin King module, I guess the only thing remaining is to have subraces, since they have a prominent place in options menu.
Should Return of the Forsaken ever come, the goblin king dungeon should indeed be cleaned up. :)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »

When it comes to the Goblin King module, I guess the only thing remaining is to have subraces, since they have a prominent place in options menu.
Should Return of the Forsaken ever come, the goblin king dungeon should indeed be cleaned up. :)
Another option would be removing sub races from the options menu.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2015, 04:36:07 pm »

It might be a good idea to do so for now, but I will say subraces do sound fun. I would put them as want for if the game progresses past HotGK

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2015, 06:39:24 pm »

It might be a good idea to do so for now, but I will say subraces do sound fun. I would put them as want for if the game progresses past HotGK
Okay, this is how I would do it, keeping in mind I do not own Incursion and merely manage an actively developed version of the source code Julian released.

Incursion-HotGK being completed and stable is the first milestone.  All unimplemented features which do not specifically add to the usual hodge-podge roguelike experience of going down and doing whatever people do to the Goblin King, in order to complete the "module", get sidelined.  Anyone else can work on them and I'm happy to take them into my fork, but personally will not be working on them until HotGH is released.  If they do not sit cleanly in the HotGK experience, they get put into a post-HotGK branch.

Then there's the post-HotGK target.  This is pictured as a whole built on the parts that Julian has described.  However, then we come to a quandary.  Incursion is Julian's game, and the world he portrayed is.. his.  It's interesting and worthwhile to work towards, but I would need him to be okay with it being done, especially under the name Incursion - for me to proceed with it.  Perhaps he plans to work on it himself again with his next-gen engine some time in the future, even if it's just loose plans.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2015, 11:07:31 pm »

Then there's the post-HotGK target.  This is pictured as a whole built on the parts that Julian has described.  However, then we come to a quandary.  Incursion is Julian's game, and the world he portrayed is.. his.  It's interesting and worthwhile to work towards, but I would need him to be okay with it being done, especially under the name Incursion - for me to proceed with it.  Perhaps he plans to work on it himself again with his next-gen engine some time in the future, even if it's just loose plans.

As I understand the licence Incursion is distributed under, Julian has already given the okay for such development.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 24, 2015, 05:26:04 am »

Still would be a good idea to see if we can get his go ahead.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 24, 2015, 08:13:03 am »

Also feeling pretty sure he'd say to just go for it based off his old notes and the community discussions of the times, but likewise I reckon there's no harm in touching base with him just as a courtesy and to see how he's doing as it has been awhile since he unburdened himself of the code/project.

Thydron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 24, 2015, 01:19:35 pm »

Given Julian's comments I think he'd be ok with further development, but if we can get in touch & confirm I can't see the harm in double checking.

Around the subraces - since the code's already there, I'd say turn them on already - Julian's comments were that they might be slightly unbalanced, but since it's a one-player game, players aren't forced to use them, and they don't affect anything other than the player-character, activating them and leaving it up to players whether they want to use them or not is what I'd go for.

On that note, I'd planned to compile a version with subraces turned & some crimson adept stuff added to see if they worked properly, but have been having trouble compiling the code; are the instructions on the bitbucket page still current? Building the code doesn't seem to be creating an incursion.exe file, and debugging the code is saying the lib_incursion is out of date & needs to be built, then pops up an error stating that visual studio is "unable to open the program ... incursion.lib".
I'm seeing 4 projects in the overall solution - exe_curses, exe_libtcod, lib_incursion, mod_accent, with lib_incursion set as the startup project (changing this doesn't seem to help) - any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 24, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »

The instructions should generally be okay.  It's possible the dependencies are out of date, but that should only affect the building of exe_curses.

Set the startup to exe_libtcod. 

Thydron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2015, 05:20:01 am »

Still no joy, but I've also tried compiling some of the earlier versions that have different dependencies, and those aren't working either, with similar errors, so suspect it's something on my end

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2015, 02:55:56 pm »

Still no joy, but I've also tried compiling some of the earlier versions that have different dependencies, and those aren't working either, with similar errors, so suspect it's something on my end
Copy the output window from visual studio, put it on pastebin or some similar site, link it here.

Thydron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2015, 07:45:42 pm »

Got the latest build working - in addition to the steps on the bitbucket page I had to do the following before compiling the debug build:
1) put curses.h, panel.h, and pdcurses.dll, from pdc34dllw.zip (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdcurses/files/pdcurses/3.4/), into the /src project subdirectory.
2) put pdcurses.lib from the same source straight into the project directory
3) put all the files from the /include subdirectory of the libtcod source (https://bitbucket.org/jice/libtcod/src/091673a868a0b487c6e155069ffae1a82943db7c/include/?at=default) into the /src project subdirectory (think this may have been overkill, and not sure if all the files are needed, but it worked)
4) commented out line 1006 of wlibtcod.cpp from within VS (pretty easy - it takes you straight to the problem line)

Also, it doesn't look like SDL2.dll is in the latest dependencies zip file but it's pretty easy to find in the libtcod bitbucket page.

I've tested the subrace code - seems to work without any errors; have made some minor changes to the code & turned them on and submitted a pull request to the main fork, so if you want to enable the option you should be able to use that.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24