Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 79665 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2015, 08:14:04 pm »

Got the latest build working - in addition to the steps on the bitbucket page I had to do the following before compiling the debug build:
1) put curses.h, panel.h, and pdcurses.dll, from pdc34dllw.zip (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdcurses/files/pdcurses/3.4/), into the /src project subdirectory.
2) put pdcurses.lib from the same source straight into the project directory
Well, if you don't fix this, then you just don't get the not fully working curses exe, and the libtcod one should be built independently and work fine.  But thanks for the list of files, I'll put them in the right places next time I make a dependencies archive.
3) put all the files from the /include subdirectory of the libtcod source (https://bitbucket.org/jice/libtcod/src/091673a868a0b487c6e155069ffae1a82943db7c/include/?at=default) into the /src project subdirectory (think this may have been overkill, and not sure if all the files are needed, but it worked)
These are already included in the dependencies, and should if extracted in the right location, just work.
4) commented out line 1006 of wlibtcod.cpp from within VS (pretty easy - it takes you straight to the problem line)
This one people can guess.

Also, it doesn't look like SDL2.dll is in the latest dependencies zip file but it's pretty easy to find in the libtcod bitbucket page.
I'll put this in the dependencies next time I make one.

Thanks.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2015, 02:24:07 am »

4) commented out line 1006 of wlibtcod.cpp from within VS (pretty easy - it takes you straight to the problem line)
This one people can guess.
Actually, this one should just work, if you had extracted the dependencies archive correctly.  So really, only pdcurses and sdl2.dll were the remaining things for me to address.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

Something else that would be helpful (at least to me) would be establishing what is necessary to get the game to a 1.0 state, and what is bonus content.

Alright, I've been playing quite a bit of Incursion over the past fortnight, and while Incursion has enough mechanical depth to be fun and interesting, playing it is a very clunky experience. On lower levels especially the dungeon slowly fills up with junk items and a message pops up whenever you move over a space with items. This is exacerbated by the fact that monster groups are often hostile to each other, so often you'll enter a room that's entirely filled with corpses and junk items. I sometimes have issues with message feedback where I frequently have to pull up the message log because not everything from the previous turn was printed to the screen, or message pop-ups (like room descriptions) flash up and immediately close. There are a bunch of smaller QoL issues and small bugs that I've encountered during the course of play that are probably hard to reproduce (and if I want to actually help instead of complain I suppose I'll try to document them), but really what I think Incursion needs right now is not more content, but more streamlined gameplay.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:56 pm »

what I think Incursion needs right now is not more content, but more streamlined gameplay.
In earlier comments above, someone detailed how HotGK is a make-do hodge-podge which was intended to demonstrate the abilities of the game engine - a bland experience representative of the archetypical roguelike like Nethack or Rogue and so on.  It is what it is, and it isn't really representative of the direction of gameplay which is more open world, quests and so forth.  The Incursion game engine, while certainly never reaching it's full potential, is a D&D oriented game engine.  It has quest support, overworld support and so on.  It has basic unused multiplayer party support.  To spend time polishing it and perfecting it, is not moving towards the end goal - it's getting distracted on a small side project wasting time and energy that could be spent elsewhere.

Also, your trash to some extent is other peoples treasure.  Other people enjoy the signs of active life elsewhere in the dungeon.  Past, that general bugs would get fixed whether evident in the HotGK module, or in other further modules that head towards procedurally generated open world roguelike RPG.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:30 pm »

What I meant to say in the last post was that getting Incursion to 1.0 for me, is to get it stable and polish the HotGK experience.  But I wish to opt out of embodying the ninety-ninety rule, where the last 10 percent of the game is 90 percent of the work required.  I say let it be a stable playable enough version of what it is that the 90% state is good enough.  There will still be flaws, but HotGK is not something I see as worth devoting an endless amount of further work on.

If you wish to balance it, maybe ask for a development version which allows the HotGK module to be edited and recompiled and reloaded.  My time as I see it is better spent working on fixing bugs and improving the engine, and adding better support for more stuff to be edited in the module scripts rather than hard-coded in the C++ source code.

Is anyone willing to take charge of balancing?  You'd have to propose an approach which got the thumbs up from anyone who cared and could justify their concerns in this thread.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:09 pm »

New build instructions and approaches have been added to the Incursion bitbucket page.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:48:39 pm by chooseusername »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2015, 02:52:35 am »

I've asked Julian to transfer the domain name to me, so that I can refer to a proper web site rather than the bitbucket site.  And put decent recent information there, like screenshots and what-not.  He's readily agreed.  So I guess the name question is also answered.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2015, 08:26:40 am »

I've asked Julian to transfer the domain name to me, so that I can refer to a proper web site rather than the bitbucket site.  And put decent recent information there, like screenshots and what-not.  He's readily agreed.  So I guess the name question is also answered.

That's great news!

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2015, 08:56:00 am »

Yeah, getting everything consolidated and presentable like that is definitely a fantastic happening.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2015, 11:54:57 pm »

I've been notified that the Incursion binaries are currently a GPL violation.  This is because the thing which compiles the scripts or something is GPL and it still gets compiled into the release builds though unused, which is wrong.  This will be fixed.  The downside is that in order to create a mod kit, we'd need to do this anyway, which prevents a mod kit from happening unless the ACCENT compiler compiler is replaced or separated out somehow.

Anyway, on the bright side this means smaller Incursion executables when this mess is sorted I guess.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2015, 06:07:24 pm »

With the codes from Julian, I've put in the domain name transfers.  Once they've gone through, I'll update the sites to point to a copy of the existing site to begin with.

Thanks to people who donated to the project.  Your money has been used to pay for the cost of transfer (one year subscription for each of the three domains .org/.net/.com).  In the long run, I'm tempted to have .com and .net redirect to .org, and to eventually ditch them.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y16 -- The GPL violation solved release
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2015, 04:28:48 pm »

The primary reason for this update, is to do a release that does not violate the GPL.  If you are using an older version be aware that it includes unused code which was not discarded by the compiler, and that this becomes a GPL violation in some meaningless way.  Other changes not listed below are to make the compilation instructions clearer and more explicit, including a new Windows build script which does all the work.  If you use Windows there's never been a better time to get involved in Incursion development.

Note that the official Incursion domains may go down for a few days while the domains are being transferred due to various issues, like myself and the previous owner, using the same host.

An updated download is available on bitbucket: 0.6.9Y16.

Changes:
  • Issue 1: Implemented 'pain tolerance' feat.  Pull request submitted by thehouseoflai@Bitbucket.
  • Issue 205: Enabled sub-races support.  This was disabled but has now been reenabled, is untested and generally unsupported.   Pull request submitted by Thydron@Bitbucket.
  • Issue 206: GPLv2 violation within unused code compiled into the distribution binaries reported by johnny0@Bitbucket.  Rather than relying on compiler dead code removal, now the problematic file (the Accent compiler compiler runtime) is explicitly excluded from the distribution build.
  • Issue 207: Incursion domain name transfers.  Outstanding donations in the paypal account ($28.52US) have been used to fund transfer of the 'incursion-roguelike.org/.net/.com' domains from the original Incursion author, Julian.  This will prevent people finding the old stale domains which refer to old releases, and experiencing a more broken Incursion.  And will provide a better entrypoint than the bitbucket project page.  In the long term, the .net and .com domains may be discarded.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2015, 05:13:39 pm »

Thanks for the continuous work on Incursion.

I just gave a try to the new version ( Incursion-0.6.9Y16 ) and seems to be able to crash it nearly (as it didn't crashed once, but every other dozen of other attempts it did) everytime when i press the key ?
This does not happen in the main menu, only when in the dungeon.

I'm on XP and use a french azerty keyboard if there's anything related ( on my keyboard ? is obtained with pressing Shift and , )

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2015, 12:11:38 am »

Thanks for the continuous work on Incursion.

I just gave a try to the new version ( Incursion-0.6.9Y16 ) and seems to be able to crash it nearly (as it didn't crashed once, but every other dozen of other attempts it did) everytime when i press the key ?
This does not happen in the main menu, only when in the dungeon.

I'm on XP and use a french azerty keyboard if there's anything related ( on my keyboard ? is obtained with pressing Shift and , )
Actually, the ? menu in dungeon was something I tested and modified quite a bit just before release.  There can't be that much difference between what you are doing and what I am doing, and not having a french keyboard there's no way I can reproduce it.  So we're at an impasse.

What we need is for someone to install Visual Studio, build the Y16 release and debug it.  Then either fix it, or provide me the call stack.  I don't suppose you're game for that? It should be relatively straightforward, even if you know nothing other than what files to install, extract and menus to choose.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2015, 11:34:18 am »

Well, whatever you did to the help menu, it doesn't crash on my end, but looks all mangled:

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24