Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 79649 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2015, 12:15:07 pm »

No sorry those visual studio and compilling piece of code stuffs are a bit beyond me unfortunately.

Now about the crash, it does not appear to be related to the ? after all as i managed to reproduce the crash with the help without having to key press some french keyboard related keys :

In the main menu, i simply move the cursor to " [g] General Help " and press enter , same instant crash as happened ingame with the keypress, same as if i press only g too.

I wonder if it has to do with XP or some opengl support (my "card" supporting only opengl 2.1 )

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2015, 05:26:16 pm »

Well, whatever you did to the help menu, it doesn't crash on my end, but looks all mangled:
I suspect this is a separate problem to do with the raft of changes to generalise things so that a curses UI can also work.

By any chance do you change the default window size and font size?  If not, what are they set to.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:32:26 pm by chooseusername »
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2015, 05:32:03 pm »

No sorry those visual studio and compilling piece of code stuffs are a bit beyond me unfortunately.

Now about the crash, it does not appear to be related to the ? after all as i managed to reproduce the crash with the help without having to key press some french keyboard related keys :

In the main menu, i simply move the cursor to " [g] General Help " and press enter , same instant crash as happened ingame with the keypress, same as if i press only g too.

I wonder if it has to do with XP or some opengl support (my "card" supporting only opengl 2.1 )
I'll see if I can compile a special binary which dumps out a stack trace when crashing.  I'll get back to you about this.  I used to use Google Breakpad or Crashpad or something to do this, but I think someone complained it was causing causing crashes itself  :o
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2015, 08:48:42 pm »

I have added a new download: Incursion-0.6.9Y16-only-download-if-getting-crashes.7z

It has instructions inside.  Let me know if there are any questions.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:29 am »

Well, whatever you did to the help menu, it doesn't crash on my end, but looks all mangled:
I suspect this is a separate problem to do with the raft of changes to generalise things so that a curses UI can also work.

By any chance do you change the default window size and font size?  If not, what are they set to.

I always change the windowed window size to what the fullscreen size is by default (I think it's 1024x768). Font size default.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2015, 07:43:51 am »

Thanks for the special executable.

I got the dmp file being generated when in the main menu i go to the "[g] General Help" and crash after pressing enter
http://i.imgur.com/4Og5jI3.jpg

but there's a problem , the dmp file size is 0 octet, there's nothing in it.

I redid the crash several time to obtain more of those .dmp files and it looks like every of them file are created completely empty, i checked with XVI32 (an old but good hex editor) to see if it wasn't window that for some reason wasn't reading the file right, but it confirmed they are completely empty.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2015, 11:18:16 am »

Finally managed to obtain a dmp file that is not empty by doing the ingame help ( key ? ) crash.
It appears that the [g] General Help crash is always creating empty .dmp , only the ingame version of the same help crash can generate a correct .dmp.

I uploaded it on the existing issue report bitbucket as i just noticed someone reported the same problem

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2015, 03:02:00 pm »

Finally managed to obtain a dmp file that is not empty by doing the ingame help ( key ? ) crash.
It appears that the [g] General Help crash is always creating empty .dmp , only the ingame version of the same help crash can generate a correct .dmp.

I uploaded it on the existing issue report bitbucket as i just noticed someone reported the same problem
Thanks!  Unfortunately, your dump didn't contain any useful information, but that's Google's fault, not yours.  I did manage to find something dodgy looking based on one of the other crash dumps.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:29:01 pm by chooseusername »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y17
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2015, 04:10:44 pm »

An updated download is available on bitbucket: 0.6.9Y17.

Changes:
  • Issue 213: GIT on Windows will not recognise file names that are not in exactly the right casing that they were added to it as.  Visual Studio will rename files it encounters on disk, that do not have the same casing as it has for them, to have it's casing.  Eventually a programmer will tab complete a file name and do a git command on it, and the command will fail silently as the file name casing is no longer correct for git.  git can suck it.  But for now, this corrects the VS2013 file name casing.
  • Issue 214: Add the Open Gaming License to the LICENSE file.  Note that it was and always has been included already within the game executable.
  • Issue 215: Reintroduction of Google Breakpad.  This will write minidumps out to the game directory if the game crashes, as before.  However, it's been removed from the place it caused crashes in the last time.  It has also been updated to the latest version which will hopefully address reports of empty minidumps for #216.
  • Issue 216: The last release seems to have included a whole raft of changes that were forgotten about, related to Curses support.  One final pre-release change introduced graphical corruption if you were lucky, instability if not.  Reported by Robsoie@Bay12.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2015, 04:38:13 pm »

Thank you for your work.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »

BTW Robsoie points out that the mod  file is broken in the last upload.  This is because I forgot to rebuild it once upping the version number. I'll delete the download and replace it.  Sorry!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:09 pm »

Thanks for the update, it works nicely.

currently trying to survive in exploring with a level 2 rogue that spend most of his time hidden in shadow.

Still i got ambushed on the 2nd floor of the dungeon in some kind of underground farm by a "Malyss Root" that exposed me and drained my character from a dexterity point apparently, and got me stuck immediately.

As the plant creature was hitting hard and i was unable to hit due to being stuck, i only managed to escape after failing several escape rolls (that nearly got me killed as the Malyss Root didn't fail its attacks meanwhile) with a dimensional door potion and a couple of healing ones.

I'll have to explore a bit more to get to level 3 and improve my character skills a bit more before going back and try to fill the monster with arrows.

edit , put on spoiler to avoid a too long post on that page of the board, a bit more of exploration with my rogue character
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:09:41 pm by Robsoie »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2015, 12:10:42 am »

Thanks for the update, it works nicely.
Thanks for putting up with all the wasted time and effort due to my mistakes!  :D

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y18
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2015, 04:58:07 pm »

An updated download is available on bitbucket: 0.6.9Y18.

Note that minidumps for 0.6.9Y17 are not usable.  This is because I forgot to keep the binaries I created when I made the distribution, and am unable to recreate them in the same way with the same code, so that minidumps will accept them.

Changes:
  • Issue 215: Finished Google Breakpad reintegration. Build script now packages libs and includes for Breakpad in the generated dependencies archive. Build script now packages the licenses in the generated dependencies archive. Build script now actually generates a dependencies archive. Rename USE_CRASHPAD to USE_BREAKPAD. Make static library names pragmas for Breakpad to allow easy disabling.
  • Issue 219: Fix a crash where the game exited, when the player tried to use the animal companion ability.  This was introduced by a typo when the recent refactoring was done to allow other interfaces like Curses.  Reported by Karagy@bitbucket.
  • Issue 220: Typo in Empower spell feat, 'Megnitude' -> 'Magnitude'.  Reported by Vornag@Bitbucket.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:59:41 pm by chooseusername »

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2015, 08:57:09 pm »

This is awesome that this game is being worked on, just googled incursion out of boredom because I played years ago and thought it was a pretty unique rogue game just very unfinished. Is the game somewhat playable now or is there still a lot of work to be done?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24