Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 79660 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2017, 07:05:10 pm »

That... sounds about right? Iirc the first dev was in the process of rejiggering things on that front when life/lack of interest/other projects sideswiped Inc itself.

That said, at least some of the code I saw (during development, back before the source went out) didn't look that bad, at least from a content creation if not mechanics implementation standpoint. Probably could mostly figure out how to put in a new god, ferex, and I'm pretty bloody terrible at coding.

And yeah, it is a shame th'dev went on to other things. As enjoyable as Inc is, it was only ever intended to be a tech demo/testing build, ehehe. Never even really got to the good part, heh.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 07:06:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2017, 08:02:56 pm »

I have only just discovered Incursion. Considering the source has been available for sometime now, I am sad nobody has yet to take up the mantel and resurrect this gem!

It's the perfect D&D roguelike!

It's unfortunately - from what I understand, the code base isn't the easiest to work with, and whilst chooseusername has done some excellent work to fix the bugs, I think any proper development would require a lot of determination.
The current problem with the remaining bugs, is that there is little to no context.  So fixing them involves prognostication.  Also, when people do report bugs, they don't tend to stick around to answer follow up questions, so fixing those involves prognostication.  And the problem with prognostication, is that you have to guess what the problem is, and it can more often than not become a big waste of time or just a wild goose change.  However, if the reporter had just stuck around or provided a save file and said do this and this and this, when they reported it, I would have fixed the bugs already.

The only reason you haven't seen fixes, is that I'm waiting for people to report bugs and stick around to provide me with reason to look into them.

There's a lot of historical code which Incursion would benefit from removing.  But there's also benefits from that code, which makes it difficult to justify removing it (it helps detect memory corruption or new bugs in stati/modifiers).  But other than that, the code is quite simple to work with.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2017, 08:05:13 pm »

That... sounds about right? Iirc the first dev was in the process of rejiggering things on that front when life/lack of interest/other projects sideswiped Inc itself.

That said, at least some of the code I saw (during development, back before the source went out) didn't look that bad, at least from a content creation if not mechanics implementation standpoint. Probably could mostly figure out how to put in a new god, ferex, and I'm pretty bloody terrible at coding.

And yeah, it is a shame th'dev went on to other things. As enjoyable as Inc is, it was only ever intended to be a tech demo/testing build, ehehe. Never even really got to the good part, heh.
Yes, it's quite a remarkable engine, but as you point out it has hard limits imposed by it's design as a tech demo/testing prototype.  As such a lot of the design decisions are for that demo, and there would be some rewriting required to get it to do much else.

e.g. IIRC Difficulty and level generation downwards are tied together.  There are HotGK specific things hard-coded into the general engine code.  Etc.

I think that Incursion the game has a lot of charm, often because of it's engine choices (atmosphere text) and depth of game/gameplay (fights going on elsewhere in the level), and there's a good argument that the engine can be rejiggered to be the base for other great games.  But as many upsides as there are, there are as many downsides, and many of them are roadblocks for a programmer choosing to work with the engine.

e.g. The GPL'd parser Accent, used for scripts.  Cumbersome low level code used as mentioned in my previous post.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:08:22 pm by chooseusername »
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2017, 08:39:42 pm »

Which is perhaps unsurprising considering the game's (decade+, mostly-one-man, very much hobbyist) development cycle, heh. From what I recall things got kinda' messy near-ish J's tapering off/heading on to other things, which is why the development more or less ended while they were in the process of (starting) to refactor the lot of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2017, 03:39:56 pm »

Was actually just thinking about Incursion again a little while ago, apparently I don't have it on this machine for some reason.

I still remember having a gnomish warrior with Faster Than the Eye and a beltload of various magic wands. Was quite the gunslinger, or should I say wandslinger?  Fellow died a most tragic of deaths though; he got tagged by some fiendish giant tortoise or something in a summoning room, and was inflicted with a mean CON-damage disease that eventually just ate him up despite my best efforts. He's the reason I now make a point of taking the Healing skill on every character.

Might have to try making a halfling rogue sometime to get some more ridiculous usage out of Use Item/Decipher Script, while also sidelining into just generally throwing shit at people.

Hehehe, I still remember the old days when slings were classified as a "thrown" weapon, and as such any creature who spawned with a sling and bullets would initiate combat by hurling the strip of leather at their opponent, disarming themselves.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 03, 2017, 05:10:23 pm »

Which is perhaps unsurprising considering the game's (decade+, mostly-one-man, very much hobbyist) development cycle, heh. From what I recall things got kinda' messy near-ish J's tapering off/heading on to other things, which is why the development more or less ended while they were in the process of (starting) to refactor the lot of it.

It is indeed remarkable what he managed to create, and how special it is.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 31, 2019, 09:03:35 am »

dead????

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2019, 04:36:31 am »

Wasn't development of Newcursion moved to another site?

Hmm, latest download is from 2016... yeah, doesn't look too promising.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2019, 08:04:21 am »

I don't know about another website

But it does not seem to be that dead as there was still bug fixing / maintenance (no new content) commits in december :
https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/commits/all

No actual download though since 2016 sadly, look like you need to compile the thing yourself unfortunately if you can.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]