Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cooking efficiency?  (Read 976 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Cooking efficiency?
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:23:27 pm »

How can I ensure that my dwarves use only the bare minimum of solid ingredients when cooking? Because it's getting annoying seeing them cook with four stacks of eggs and then complain they've run out of solid ingredients when I have half a stockpile's worth of syrups and honey and jelly and oils waiting to be cooked. Four solid ingredients per roast is three roasts wasted.
くコ:彡

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:28:15 pm »

"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:30:18 pm »

Cooking prefers solid items inside barrels over everything else, to the point that cooks will travel all over the fort to get a piece of dog tripe from a meat pot instead of taking the syrup barrel right next to them. In case you allow cooking of seeds, those also take absolute precedence over non-solids.

Only if a cook already has a solid cookable item _and_ no solids inside barrels (or seeds) are available, they'll take the nearest cookable item, accepting liquids. To make this the norm in cooking, the easiest way is to set up a kitchen with two linked stockpiles giving to it - one containing only solid items outside of barrels some way away, another containing cookable liquids right next to the kitchen; cooks will first go over to get a bag of flour or whatever you're using, then fills the meal up with liquids. You can make more detailed schemes, but such a simple two-pile system works reliably and with little to no supervision.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:36:37 pm »

@Larix

That's super helpful to me. I never really did much cooking, but that makes things easy.

Time for Mr. Beard's Kitchen Class.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0