Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you prefer to load in weapon traps?

Giant axe blade
- 4 (8.3%)
Enormous corkscrew
- 2 (4.2%)
Spiked ball
- 11 (22.9%)
Large serrated disc
- 16 (33.3%)
Menacing spike
- 7 (14.6%)
Goblinite
- 5 (10.4%)
Other (Please elaborate!)
- 3 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you prefer to load in weapon traps?  (Read 2582 times)

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you prefer to load in weapon traps?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »

From my previous analysis of the trap code, the only thing that matters is whether or not the creature was struck down by the trap (and became a corpse before the trap code finished running) - if it was, then the corpse has a 50% chance to get jammed in the trap, and if it wasn't, then there isn't yet a corpse to get stuck in the trap. It shouldn't matter if the death was due to "jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain" or cutting the creature's head off.

So what you're saying is that you want to use the trap that has the most chance of mortally wounding a creature but not killing it.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 03:06:49 am »

I prefer 100% trap components. I tend to make tons of them to train smiths, in which case I'll have a balanced amount of every type of component. Except for glass components, which are all discs.

I always melt down goblinite. Especially in Masterwork, where their stuff is all rusty.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 08:28:28 am »

Elves.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 09:36:03 am »

I personally use massive trapways as the main entry to my fort, 3x10 of 10 deep large serrated masterwork green glass discs. I tend to play with masterwork, and it helps keep out the riff raff.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 12:03:15 am »

I tend to start with spikes in low numbers early in the trap hallway.  Usualy only 1-2 per trap for the first 10 traps visiters must cross.  I ramp up to more spikes in the following tiles before shifting to a mix of spikes and spike balls.   I'll usualy have a small run of mix and match of everything plus a few cages for good measure at the far end to catch anything that makes it through the gauntlet.  The general idea is to make the first stretch not particularly leathal, at least not instantly so.  Let them acumulate a few bleeding wounds before they reach the nasty stuff.  normaly this means even the folowers have acumulated enough bleeding wounds to eventualy bleed out when they stop and loiter around in my trap hallway after their leader turns into pink mist.   More often than not anything reaching the spike ball section ends up giveing into pain and bleeding out if not killed outright.

As a backup measure I tend to make a self cleanining system modeled after an oven's self clean function.  First lock the doors nice and tight.  Then set the system to clean and the insides get exceptionally hot (magma pump activated) let it bake for a bit then give it time to cool down(drain magma) before unlocking agian.  Some of the gifts do not survive but it deals with the squaters that just hang around in my hallway indefinatly.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 12:50:15 am »

I prefer 100% trap components. I tend to make tons of them to train smiths, in which case I'll have a balanced amount of every type of component. Except for glass components, which are all discs.

I always melt down goblinite. Especially in Masterwork, where their stuff is all rusty.

Pretty much this. Also, I prefer large serrated discs for their [Indiana Jones] personal reference.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]