Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Failure to Restock the Stocks  (Read 3819 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Failure to Restock the Stocks
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:50:37 pm »

I have a big room with 4 stone stockpiles side by side, no customization to them.  Maybe a 1/8th of the stockpile is gone now, but despite there being littered stone still in my fort it is not getting restocked.  Any ideas on what kind of FUN is goin down?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Failure to Restock the Stocks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:32 am »

You have stone hauling enabled on some dwarves, right? Make sure you didn't toggle your stockpile to only take from links ('a'). Also, if you have wheelbarrows assigned to the stockpile, there might be something stuck in them, which prevents any further collection jobs. Finally, if the rocks littering your fortress have been forbidden or assigned to other tasks they will not be added to the stockpile.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:35:34 am »

Alright thanks
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:08:22 am »

EDIT: disregard pls, apparently this is a bug and there's nothing to do about it.

Sorry for the double post, but I found out that it was indeed rocks stuck in wheelbarrows.  When I set the stockpiles to use 0 wheelbarrows, an instant later there was once again a congo line of rock on the way.  So my question now is, how does this happen to wheelbarrows?  And can it be prevented?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:06:43 pm by Gnomeknows »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »

EDIT: disregard pls, apparently this is a bug and there's nothing to do about it.

Sorry for the double post, but I found out that it was indeed rocks stuck in wheelbarrows.  When I set the stockpiles to use 0 wheelbarrows, an instant later there was once again a congo line of rock on the way.  So my question now is, how does this happen to wheelbarrows?  And can it be prevented?

Thanks for the heads up. I have the same problem.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 08:19:40 pm »

From the wiki:
Items can occasionally be left inside a wheelbarrow, causing the wheelbarrow to become unusable. This can cause a stockpile to stop collecting items if all of its wheelbarrows end up in this state (Bug 6074) You can work around this by marking the contents of the wheelbarrow for dumping.
If this is the bug report you're referring to, you might want to contact Footkerchief or Dwarfu to get the report re-opened.

Edit: I can confirm that an interrupted hauling job leaves items behind in wheelbarrows, and those items aren't removed upon arriving at a stockpile. However, I haven't been able to make the wheelbarrows unusable - dwarves will still use the wheelbarrows for hauling if they already contain items (even forbidden items).

Edit 2: Can you check to make sure the wheelbarrow(s) aren't forbidden? (When I tested this, it appeared to make the stockpile tile the wheelbarrow was on unusable temporarily, although freeing up other tiles triggered more hauling jobs with a new wheelbarrow.) Is there anything else unusual about these wheelbarrows (e.g. melt-designated, not fortress-produced)?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:37:54 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 09:42:42 am »

I had this pop up this week.  Trying to get more rocks moved I made a bunch of wheelbarrows and four stone stockpiles.  Dwarfs would only use one stockpile and it's three wheelbarrows. Oddly enough, they would only use the second stockpile. The first one stopped working and the third and fourth one never did.  After reading this I deleted all the stone stockpiles and made one giant one without wheelbarrows. Works fine now. 

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 12:32:10 pm »

If this is the bug report you're referring to, you might want to contact Footkerchief or Dwarfu to get the report re-opened.

The report has been reopened: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6074

Still needs a save.  Could somebody upload one to http://dffd.wimbli.com/ and post the link at the report?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 03:06:07 pm »

Posted a save at the bug report, although it doesn't exhibit the problem of wheelbarrows being unusable.
Gnomeknows: How many rocks were in these wheelbarrows before dumping?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 06:52:51 pm »

Sadly I didn't know how to look at the time and just set all the stone stockpiles with no hauling jobs to use zero wheelbarrows.  They were put into the finished goods stocks soon after.  I have backup saves now, so at least I'll be ready next time but the bugged saves for this are gone :(.