Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Middens - Here I am. In my lofty, lonely tower.  (Read 3447 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Middens - Here I am. In my lofty, lonely tower.
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:32:34 pm »

What is this?

Some of you may remember the gingiva topic I made a little while back. Middens is the (mostly) spiritual prequel to Gingiva. So, in other words, it's an exploration game, ala Yume Nikki, .flow, that sort've thing, with a combat element. And another gimmick. Namely every single NPC in the game can be killed or attacked. With consequences in some cases, if you kill a save point man, you can't save there anymore, if you kill a bus driver you can't use any features relating to the bus anymore. Some will just die upon being shot, some will actively fight you after being shot. Similarly these NPCs have dialogue, directly taken from the last words of convicted criminals in many cases. Many of these NPCs are referred to as figments of the rift, and do not exist in the literal sense. I think. The game is a little opaque to say the least.

But naturally, there's a gimmick. In this case your weapon and traveling companion is a sentient gun by the name of genie. You see, you are traveling through dangerous metaphorical waters. The Rift. An enormous void in space that is slowly consuming the worlds around it. And genie, while not a native, is something of an expert on the rift, or so they say. Their preferred method, them being a gun, is naturally to shoot first and ask questions later. But it's ultimately your decision to make on whether or not to kill things. And it is my firm belief that the game is best played entirely spontaneously, so I will give no advice on the matter. It's very difficult to mess up permanently as long as you use common sense. There are two endings, I believe, one that is very easy to get that you will no doubt stumble on eventually, and another that I have litterally no leads on and continue to search for. Maybe you'll find it before me! Who can say. I would ask that you spoiler tag the method to find the true ending if you know it, as I know at least a single B12er has played middens, at the very least.

In any case, let's be perfectly honest, the rift is much larger then you are, and likely there is nothing that can be done to stop it. So have a time in there, give things some thought, and see what you can find. Maybe you'll find a way out of that hole.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:39:47 pm by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Middens - Here I am. In my lofty, lonely tower.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:21 pm »

Note, yes I'm an idiot and forgot the download link. Gimme a minute. ::)

Linked!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:40:10 pm by Seriyu »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 11:29:03 pm »

All that said, I played over an hour and was kinda feelin' it. The whole, you know, thing. But my controls kept borking up mid-game, and I'd have to restart my computer because restarting the game didn't seem to fix it, and that just got plain annoying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:37:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:33:50 pm »

I want to say the bug has been fixed, but I'm unsure. I think he fixed an issue relating to controls sticking on middens, but it may have been gingiva. Yeah, I can't find any proof of it one way or the other. Best to assume I misremembered.

Thank you for the drier introduction, I really really love the game and it kind've leaked into the description!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:37:07 pm by Seriyu »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:42:07 pm »

I will say:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:43:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:08 am »

http://www.brodzkybooks.com/middens-an-interview/

I interviewed the guy a while back, before Moments of Silence/Gingiva came out.  He's pretty neat and puts a lot of thought into his games.

I also have a framed print of Train of the Dead.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:32:36 am »

http://www.brodzkybooks.com/middens-an-interview/

I interviewed the guy a while back, before Moments of Silence/Gingiva came out.  He's pretty neat and puts a lot of thought into his games.

I also have a framed print of Train of the Dead.

I'd actually read that interview back when I started playing, I quite enjoyed it! Good to have it around.

I will say:

I've found 2 potential fixes, one involves unplugging any controllers you have plugged in while playing middens. They can apparently interefere with older RPG maker versions. If that wasn't an issue the only other thing I've found is this. It's a link to an RPG maker thread, and the final post has someone linking a file that supposedly resets keyboard inputs. I completely understand if downloading random .exe files off the internet doesn't strike you as something you want to do, however!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 08:28:01 am »

I've found 2 potential fixes, one involves unplugging any controllers you have plugged in while playing middens.
Ah. I found something like that on another game a while back. Apparently because my controller is crappy and old (it is).
()==[:::::::::::::>

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:48:26 pm »

Yeah, basically any RPG maker game is subject to it, so if you've played yume nikki/OFF/.flow that sorta thing it also applies to them.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 03:36:55 pm »

I played about half an hour of this, and I have to say HOLY JESUS CRAP MY BRAIN!

There, I said it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 05:26:42 pm »

Keep going! Talk to things! Find things! I can safely say that the world seems rather intensely large, and despite playing it on and off for several months I don't think I've seen all of it.

Recently I actually thought I found the secret ending, as there was a rather ominous looking factory setting with little "no gun" signs on the walls (plot fact: Genie was created as a weapon that had sentience in their world of origin, so that the weapon itself could decide if something needed to be shot or not; naturally, genie, being a gun, rather tends to see the world as a series of targets as a result, so my train of thought was that this was a segment of genie's original world, implying plot significance on some level), and it ended with a boss fight and a strange console and door. It lead.... to nothing inparticular.

The search continues.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 01:26:14 am »

4. Do you feel that some of the ‘clunkiness’ of the system aids in telling the specific sort of narrative you want to achieve with Middens?  Examples being the conscious decision to equip the revolver or use the guitar through the menu, rather than accessing them with easy to reach hotkeys.

That Middens contains such issues is a signal that a human faceted it—not a corporation. If I fashion a pot my hand slips, and if I dab paint the paint drips. Imperfection is intrinsic part of pathos of all natural created expressions. In the East there is an aesthetic concept known as Wabi-Sabi which pertains to the beauty and acceptance of imperfect things. It is an idea that arises out of observation of life and its obvious imperfections.

Since my intentions are more expressive than technical such minor conveniences were simply never on my palette of interests or priorities when creating Middens.
Wow. Now I kind of wish I hadn't read the interview, it soured me on the game just a little bit. "I didn't fix this easily-fixable usability issue because I don't want to be the man, maaaaan"

The game itself looks very interesting though, I'll probably try it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 02:49:35 am »

If I'm honest, I never had any issue with re-equipping the gun. I'm not sure what causes it to be un equipped, if I'm honest. It's possible there was a change between the interview and when I played it.

It's also important to note I didn't really go on a shooting frenzy either, so that may have been swinging things a bit.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »

That's odd, it's actually a fairly small game, Bout half a GB, not toooo huge. I'm surprised it's that big frankly.

It may be the website that's hosting it.