Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100]

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 237638 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1485 on: September 08, 2020, 07:36:21 am »

Tho, again, I'm not sure how much PoE can hold my interest anymore, seems that for the past year all I've been able to do is get to maps and get annoyed by the new atlas progression and kinda stop playing afterwards.

I can maintain my desire to get up to Sirus. And then lose to him 4 or 5 times (each repeat attempt probably taking 100 maps, but I could be exaggerating - whatever it is, it's a lot of fucking work just to constantly lose) and get discouraged. Can't never be assed to level up a new build that might be able to handle him better.

Had a similar issue with Uber Elder - could get to him but never beat him, then say "fuck it" because I obviously suck too much at a game where people can apparently do the final boss at fucking level 32 (reaching maps then intentionally de-leveling through a vendor recipe).

Even Harvest league, while well received overall, between the RNG of getting the right crafts and not being able to wrap wrap my brain around what I had to do to use them properly, I got discouraged from not being able to do anything in what should have been the easiest most OP league yet.

Each Sirus attempt takes 24-40 maps, plus a little overhead for RNG. In comparison, the current uberElder takes a minimum of 16 and has tradable keys, so you could just shortcut the entire process or swap keys around if you keep getting the same ones. And the Heart of the Grove fight... takes a minimum of 100 maps, personally run, cannot be done in groups (other than the host), cannot be accelerated, and for the first few weeks had a known hard-showstopper bug.

I find the current Sirus/Conqueror atlas to be a vast improvement for gameplay over the Elder/Shaper War for the Atlas edition (though the latter was more dynamic) once you have it completed. The major advantage is that sustain is vastly improved (anecdotal), you have a lot more freedom to choose what maps to run (all regions are now high tier and advance content), and the Favorite system helps with keeping maps you like available and ones you don't like minimized (assuming you don't do something dumb with it, like I did for a while).
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Betrayal
« Reply #1486 on: September 08, 2020, 06:06:18 pm »

I agree that the new system is frendlier and more customizable but I think it lost much of the draw that the previous one had in terms of having a clear goal and every step getting you slightly closer. The atlas was a big place but you always saw the peak of the mountain you were climbing. Here it's just a bunch of meandering and running random shit from a random part of the map until a pop-up informs you that a conqueror spawned and you should probably fight them.

And atleast in my case, when the grind is as long and at times frustrating as the endgame is, having a clear goal always present is a pretty big deal.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100]