Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 77363 times)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »

This looks fucking amazing. I can only imagine the kind of dwarfy creations bay12 can make with this. :P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »

Picked this up today, ive been constructing a submarine for a while now, its very fun! There's a whole lot to do, and I can't wait to test my sub on some AI
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 08:51:08 am »

double post to share some of the qualities of this game with you:

In terms of building, there is a relatively detailed engine creation system, as well as in-depth weapon creation (similar to starmade's, but in my opinion vastly superior). The game also tracks both drag and buoyancy on vessels, so there is a lot of design strategy on vessels: Metal ships need sealed rooms inside or they will sink and flying boxes will be incredibly inefficient at using fuel... that is if they dont crash. Anyways, back to guns. Not only is there an armor sloping system, there is an armor penetration system where the gauge of your cannon and type of ammunition it uses is taken in to effect. (ie wooden ships get destroyed by explosive rounds, but AP rounds do little in way of quick damage, and while armored ships are armored anyway you put it AP rounds are the quickest way to breach them). Missiles/torpedos are there too and are just as customizable, but i havent fooled around with them too much so I wont elaborate.

In terms of combat, you can build your own fleet/airforce/spaceforce and equip it with AI to do battles with your enemy. Again the AI is very nice and is quite advanced in terms of what it can control. Of course, with different block types you can control your own ship from any location on said ship, or if you prefer only automate some systems and leave the rest purely player controlled.

Very solid mechanics, and wickedly fun battles. (Although a stupidly hard mission to unlock large propellers :C)

EDIT: Did I mention? Hitting a vessel's fuel/ammo barrels will cause an explosion!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:13:30 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:04 am »

Hgngnghghgh... that sounds amazing. On the definite wishlist it goes...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 11:16:40 am »

Yeah, just wait until you mess around with missiles.  A good analogy is their deign is similar to designing a missile in aurora (pre-engine change).

Every block of missile tube gives 2 missile components, my average is 4 tubes.  You can make your missile long range with extra fuel, homing with heat or directed by a laser, give it a proximity or timed fuse.  Make a a small one aimed downward with out an engine and make a bomb or depth charge.  Give it propellers instead of an engine and make it a torpedo.

My main campaign ship is a small aluminum plated wood ship with a small cannon and a pair of torpedoes.  The torpedoes are the real stars, a single one usually kills anything they hit.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:28 am »

This game is a succubus. It draws you in with it's beauty and then sucks the life force from you. I have dozens of hours lost to it at a time when I only have 5 hours scheduled for sleep a day. I have given 2 of those up each day for this game alone. The price is worth it. I haven't even played PVP yet. I actually think this game will really shine when it becomes possible to have persistent servers(not planned right now) and allow players to fight for one of 2 or 3 nations with their own designs. Allowing some people to focus on designing new ships and others on fighting. It would become the greatest game of all time, imho.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:25 am »

I am kind of interested.
But if you all think it's so great then it can't be awful. As long as it doesn't end up being one of those games that stops being developed substantially and just ends up being pre-release forever.

EDIT: Are you sure about the price though?
Because if it's still $10 then somebody really fucked up the price conversions. Since it's £15.

EDIT2: Okay I checked and the game is $20 in USD, but that's still 1/5 cheaper than the price in GBP.
Is there a way to exploit that or do I just have to pay up?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:57:14 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 12:16:58 pm »

You'll most like have to pay up (sorry!), but anyone interested in doing some bay12 fleet warfare???

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »

Bit the bullet and bought it anyway. Will be installing and flailing around with the controls this evening.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 01:39:27 pm »

I have played this for awhile and I can say, except for a few things, I like it a lot more than SE.  Just the fact alone the game supports automated construction and repair/replacement means you can focus on the fun part, combat.

Also the whole you build the engine and the guns part is just really cool.
Everything above is true
But seriously, the aesthetic gave me cancer.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 01:42:22 pm »

Yeah, still images of this game are bad looking.  Videos of combat seem way to chaotic and don't share much info.

You really need to play it, which kind of sucks with out a demo.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »

A pic of the valiant fucking my sad little crusier up

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »

No, I have played it, I just think that it looks too busy for modern ships(mainly interlocking blocks instead of cubes).
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

qazcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »

Seems like some of the other building combat vehicle games i have seem in the last 2 years.Seems to have similar mechanics to them too.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 04:20:32 pm »

No, I have played it, I just think that it looks too busy for modern ships(mainly interlocking blocks instead of cubes).

You can do cubes and beams as well as the standard interlocking block
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33