Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 77752 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #390 on: August 27, 2018, 03:19:47 pm »

New patch. Massive overhaul to graphics and ACBs. Also my progress with the tutorial was erased - I have to do it again and maybe this time the achievement will unlock.

EDIT: Tutorial 6 seems to be borked. It goes right to the quiz, and may or may not be related to the tutorial scene that was supposed to be played.

EDIT2: Finished tutorial, no achievement, and tutorial progress is not saved when exiting the game. Possible exploit from this, as you get a nice chunk of XP from doing tutorial steps.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:12:22 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 27, 2018, 06:51:04 pm »

Tried to boot the game up (in the devtest a few days ago) to make a quick starter ship and decided to start with the main cannon. Screwing around with that alone has taken up all my time because it's so easy for me to get carried away with all of the settings.... I haven't even made the shell of the boat yet.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 27, 2018, 07:00:27 pm »

Tried to boot the game up (in the devtest a few days ago) to make a quick starter ship and decided to start with the main cannon. Screwing around with that alone has taken up all my time because it's so easy for me to get carried away with all of the settings.... I haven't even made the shell of the boat yet.

What about the shell of the cannon?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 27, 2018, 07:14:37 pm »

Haha... yes. I still don't know what damage or armor penetration values are good but that is done.

I decided to add a CRAM cannon behind it because I found a tutorial on how to make them easily using the 'cram cake'(?) method.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 27, 2018, 08:54:33 pm »

I think they may have nerfed helium pumps. Last night, the airship I'm building would get up to 275m no problem. Now, it's actually falling after installing the bridge windows, which shouldn't have added too much weight compared to the rest of it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 27, 2018, 09:40:11 pm »

Good damage tests: for less expensive stuff see if it can kill a Bastion (Onyx Guard ship), for more expensive stuff see how quickly it can rip up a Gannus (Steel Strider ship).  Note that a new player could easily struggle to damage either.

What I found with CRAM cannons is that you want to put a ton of pellets on and relatively few ammo boxes.  But I never built a useful ship with CRAMs so grain of salt and all that.

You're not the only one who fiddles with one system forever, I spent like 5-10 hours fucking around with engines once (and I got a monster engine as a result).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 28, 2018, 05:36:06 am »

Engines are simple enough. My method for engines is: generator->line of crank shafts->a cylinder every other shaft->two carbs per cylinder, perpendicular to the crank shafts->turbochargers on each carburetor->and exhaust pipes gathering all the exhaust from every cylinder before feeding it through each turbocharger in sequence before venting out the craft. Optionally, add superchargers between each pair of carburetor. Gets me pretty decent fuel efficiency, though it does take quite a bit of space.

For combat testing, I tend to use the DWG Marauder, Bastion, and for the really big stuff, the SS's Excalibur. The differences between the Marauder and Bastion necessitates testing both: the Marauder is capable of doing a lot of damage(that forward CRAM hurts), but since it has a wooden hull, it's easier to penetrate. The Bastion on the other hand, does weaker damage(its signature guns aren't as powerful as the Marauder's by a long shot), but the armor requires different weapon strategies.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 29, 2018, 09:08:02 pm »

I could have sworn there was a way to spawn in a ship so that it had all of its guns fully loaded, but I can't remember how to do it. I sometimes like to experiment with different ammo but it's a huge pain having to wait for the magazines to load every time I change the ammo type. It's a bit annoying having to set the barrel smaller then bump it back up to clear the magazine, is there a better way to do that?

E: I also found a little tutorial video on how to make ship bows... but we'll see if I'm actually able to put that to use, hehe
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:49:26 pm by Ozyton »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 30, 2018, 06:05:08 am »

Still working on the airship. It's actually flyable, both by AI and player, but I had to link the forward motion props via ACB to when the the player pitches forward. They can't be linked to forward flight controls(for some reason) and the alternative was a complex controller which I hate using. Now that I think about it, I could have put ground wheels somewhere on the ship since the AI does forward flight via the ACB condition "commanded to move forward" which doesn't work for player air controls. The AI can navigate somewhat well, but more than once I've seen it decide to do a full circle rather than turn towards its waypoint and I don't trust it in combat yet.

Also started work on the weapons. Right now, it's only got bombs - 20 missiles, 6 gantries long, 10 are fragmentation(fins,fins,APN,frag,frag,frag,frag,frag,frag,proximity,safety,IR), 10 are explosive(fins,fins,APN,explosive,explosive,explosive,explosive,explosive,explosive,explosive,magnet,proximity,safety,IR), and the explosive bombs have a delay before drop and a longer staggered-fire add-on, so that they don't hit at the same time as(and therefore deflect) the frags or each other. Tests on both the Marauder and Bastion; Marauder was shredded pretty decently, Bastion laughed off multiple bombing runs. Might add some EMP bombs next, under the logic that the frag/explosive bombs will blast away as much as possible between the EMP and whatever sensitive components the EMP can destroy.

I could have sworn there was a way to spawn in a ship so that it had all of its guns fully loaded, but I can't remember how to do it. I sometimes like to experiment with different ammo but it's a huge pain having to wait for the magazines to load every time I change the ammo type. It's a bit annoying having to set the barrel smaller then bump it back up to clear the magazine, is there a better way to do that?

Not sure how to spawn in a fully loaded ship, but I could swear that ships spawned via the "X" menu in creative are always fully loaded. As for clearing the magazines, in 2.12 they added where you can open a cannon's Q-menu, and in the same spot as the settings for gauge size, etc., there's a button labeled "Clear Intakes" - this discards all shells in all the autoloaders and ammo clips attached to that firing piece.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 18, 2018, 04:12:00 pm »

So apparently there's a big update in the works which includes an AI rewrite, missile rework (small and large missiles added), and a bunch of smaller stuff. The new AI seems to be the biggest change since you won't have separate naval or air navigation cards anymore and will instead tell the AI what sort of behavior to use in the Q menu.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thoughts form the more experienced players?

Still haven't made a boat yet. Well, I've made 2 boats but I'm not happy with them...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2018, 04:33:46 pm »

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to replace all my creations. (They all suck anyway)

I just finished this morning replacing the paddle sections I was using for railings on my airship with the new railing block... which has the exact same model, cost, and stats as the paddle. Granted, those may change later on, and it was probably good since railings don't use as much CPU time as paddles do.

Loving the idea for more steam stuff. And tank treads. Personally, I would have liked to see some kind of engine-based(steam or otherwise) system that increases the pack rate of CRAMs, but the steam loader seems like a step in the right direction.

d) Perhaps an on hull buff for weapons built on the hull, rather than on turrets. To be confirmed.

Gonna have a slight disagreement here. The main advantage for hull-mounted weapons over turrets is that you generally have a lot more space to put things; more gauge increasers, more autoloaders, etc. You can also layer more hull armor over those components. As such, they already have their "buff". Turrets also have a distinct disadvantage of being rather easy to separate from the ship; a single stupid-high AP laser pulse can, if correctly placed, vaporize the spinner itself or whatever block it's attached to - in fact this is one of the best was to take out an Excalibur; aim for the lower hull under the turret, and you'll likely detonate the autoloaders.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 19, 2018, 04:22:44 am »

tank treads on wheels

Spoiler: my hull is ready (click to show/hide)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 19, 2018, 03:33:58 pm »

That looks cool. How effective is it though?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 19, 2018, 04:14:40 pm »

Laser were hella op back then. It’s still ok for the cost. I’ve even got one that floats, great for assaulting those campaign cityes

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 19, 2018, 04:15:45 pm »

Their rambots hide in metal BAWKSES!  The cowards, the foools!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33