Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 77745 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2018, 12:32:03 pm »

So I was working on my ship again yesterday and I noticed that there are new decoration items which I don't remember existing before. Notably there's a "mimic" block that I've been having fun with, and pole/cylinder blocks. I don't really have much artistic ability but these additions are still pretty cool because I can visually plug holes or make the propeller driveshaft actually look like it's connected to the ship correctly.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2018, 06:12:30 pm »

Mimic blocks were put on stable maybe yesterday, supposedly the missile rework is around the corner
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 02, 2018, 08:28:50 pm »

So the new missiles are on the devbranch right now. Just for fun I made a large missile with 1 short range thruster, 1 fuel tank, as many ejectors as I could fit, 2-3 explosive warheads, and a thumper warhead (also tried replacing the thumper with another explosive warhead for fun). I shot it at a Maurauder and it nearly deleted the thing. I think it said the explosive radius was 45 meters?

I doubt the AI would be able to properly use dumbfire missiles correctly which is a bit of a shame.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2018, 09:44:53 pm »

At least in the old missile system, Turrets don't try to lead dumbfires.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 15, 2018, 02:05:56 pm »

New missile update has gone live. I haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

Looking at the changelog, AI mainframes while gone up to 400mt each, and processor cards are 200mt each. AIs being expensive I can get, but for any decent detection suite you'll need a lot of processor cards.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 23, 2018, 07:49:31 pm »

Double-posting for new update. Two main things are missile turning jets as an alternative to fins, and steam-driven propellers.

I am probably more excited than I should be for the steam propellers.

Other additions: all moving parts of a steam assembly(wheels, gears, etc) can damage from excessive pressure/speeds. More parts also reduce overall safe-speed. Steam bearing blocks added to increase safe-speed limit. APS and CRAMs can aim with high arcs. LAMS can be set to target missiles-only, shells-only, or both.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 23, 2018, 08:10:23 pm »

I briefly saw something about the steam propellers on Reddit and was a little surprised nobody was talking about them. After spending a week or so building a ship I got a bit burnt out on FTD so I don't feel like looking ingame right now, but the main thing I'm waiting for is the AI changes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 24, 2018, 06:00:10 pm »

Took a look at the new stuff, but haven't had time to play with any of it. Most of the new blocks look quite nice, but the 3m and 5m steam propellers are 3000mt and 5000mt respectively. I'm really hoping those are only temporary costs.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 27, 2018, 01:13:02 am »

Steam propellers are really powerfull but you need to place your engine some where near to them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 27, 2018, 04:50:52 am »

Tried to build one last night, but I couldn't get the pistons to connect to the cranks. And for some reason, auto-filling resource containers wasn't working either.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 02, 2018, 12:14:32 pm »

I just decided to see if I could make the gun on my little patrol boat cheaper by using ammo racks instead of a bunch of autoloaders. Apparently the APS calulator isn't accurate or something, because I should have a fire rate of about 100 rpm but setting my gun to that makes it pause to reload. Is there an up to date APS calculator around? I was trying to use the one in this google doc but it's the one that's not giving me the correct ROF.

It's pretty infuriating because it's giving me the correct number for my old gun...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:18:09 pm by Ozyton »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 02, 2018, 12:27:15 pm »

That's most likely your sustained fire rate.  IIRC a single set of ammo racks will always take twice as long to load a shell into the rack as it will to load it into the autoloader.  So if your gun has one barrel you need two autoloaders that each load at <= the barrel cooldown.  If you have six barrels that's twelve.  Made more complicated because adding more autoloaders slows down loading.

But yeah if you just have, for example, one autoloader with 18 ammo racks on a one barrel gun, eventually the racks will run out and your gun will fire ~2x slower.  Try setting it to either 150 or 200 rpm and see if that's right.  If ammo stores are already your bottleneck (they usually are) its no big deal if your ammo racks can run dry.  Most vehicles in the game will eventually slow down their fire rate if they have to fire indefinitely.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2018, 12:47:16 pm »

The problem is I have 2 barrels and 10 autoloaders with 4 racks each. It will fire 10 times then wait, as if waiting for rounds to load from the rack into the autoloader, even though the calculator says that I should have an autoloader fire rate of 106.94 rpm. The racks have over 40 rounds each in them so the problem isn't loading the racks.

If I set the barrels to 1 on the calculator it will reduce the 'burst' RPM down to 53.65 because of barrel cooling, but 2 barrels sits it at 107.29 which is very close to the autoloader reload rate... in theory.

If I set the fire rate higher it's just going to fire a 10 round burst then wait for the first autoloader to load from the rack... but it'd be even more noticeable.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 02, 2018, 01:34:25 pm »

Maybe the spreadsheet is just outdated... let's just eyeball this.  What does the game say your:
autoloader complexity (so how much slower it is for having that many autoloaders, it should be a smallish number like 1.5)
autoloader load time
barrel reload time
are.  You should be able to get those by hovering over various things.

Edit: oh, I forgot, how many little loader circles do you have?  That's the most important thing, adding ammo racks doesn't actually make you load faster they just add more spots to put the little circles on.  You should be able to fit (1 + 2 x height) to each ammo rack stack, and then 2 to the autoloader IIRC.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:37:22 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 02, 2018, 02:13:35 pm »

Autoloader Complexity: 1.78
Reload time from clip: 6.31
Time to pass shell to ammo clip: 12.6
Barrel cooldown: 1.12s per barrel and 2 barrels
"Multiple clips with shells loaded" for the autoloaders is 0.71
"Total speed modifier" for the loaders is 1.26
They are 1m autoloaders with 'autoloader length multiplier' of 1
Each 4-rack autoloader has 3 inputs but I could fit more if the racks weren't loading quick enough. I tried adding more but it didn't change anything.
Each rack is holding 14 shells with volume usage of 28%
It's a 150mm gun with 12 cooling units and a bore evacuator
There's a total of 150 shells racked at a time.

I tried replacing some of the racks with autoloaders so I'd have 10 2-rack autoloaders and 10 1-rack autoloaders and it seems to work a little better.... but I was trying to use as few autoloaders as possible to make the gun cheaper. E: But even with this setup it doesn't coincide with what the calculator says soooooo I dunno.

Also I should mention that having multiple racks per autoloader does make a small difference since you get a small bonus to loading from a rack into the autoloader when you have multiple racks. That's what the 'multiple racks with shells loaded' multiplier is.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:17:18 pm by Ozyton »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33