Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 77750 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #435 on: July 26, 2019, 06:00:38 pm »

New update. Main feature is a major rebalancing of lasers. Also included are:

Video Block: Displays locally-saved video files, Youtube(or presumably other sites) videos, or camera feeds from the Wireless Camera block.
ACB Controller: Can control up to 12 different ACBs. I'll need to test to see how it works. ACBs can also change AI mainframe behavior setting.
You can set the player to be immortal in design mode. I actually noticed this was already in a few days ago - you can set the PC to be killable, unkillable but still take damage, or be completely invulnerable.

There's also mention that tank tracks will likely be coming soon.

EDIT: The ACB controller is a button panel, controlled directly by the player character. That is, as you assign ACBs to it - which can only be done in build mode, and through assigning names to ACBs - buttons will appear on the panel that you can press by looking at them and pressing Q. Pushable buttons are something I've actually wanted for quite a while.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:38:08 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 26, 2019, 08:10:45 pm »

I kinda wish there was a "repair all" button in the vehicle designer.  I'll throw something at an enemy ship and invariably half of it gets blown up.  Then I inevitably alt-tab away as rambot slowly puts my ship back together.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 27, 2019, 04:30:07 am »

There's a debug tool you can equip in design mode that rapidly repairs a vehicle. It's not instant, particularly as it repairs things like turrets, but it's still many, many times faster than normal repair bots/tentacles.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 08, 2019, 11:04:26 am »

Came up with a cool advanced cannon that counters DWG and is cheap enough to actually be brought against them.

The shell is 200mm, meant for a 4 barrel cannon.  Its long.  IIRC 4 gunpowder, base bleeder, 10 fragment shells set to go off in a sphere, 2 solid shells, penn depth fuse, inertial fuse, AP head.  Naturally with such long shells it can’t load them fast enough so I added 6 belt loaders with short shells made of 1  gunpowder, 2 solid shells, and a sabot head.  The resulting shell is slow by design, its not great but since it moves same speed as the other shells the gun doesn’t have to aim differently. As a result when there’s none of the main shells loaded it can keep itself busy firing the “filler” rounds.

The main shells are pretty cool.  Usually they miss and blow up near the target to the tune of 500-1000 kinetic damage.  But sometimes they’ll punch through the hull and explode inside, causing a glorious hail of fragments to bounce around doing more like 20k damage.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 08, 2019, 04:50:40 pm »

Came up with an advanced cannon design the other day, a ~375mm-gauge shell with GP,GP,base bleeder,solid,solid,composite head. I tested it just now and saw it penetrate a Bastion, punching into the rear tower from the back, out the front, through its forward gun turret on a sloped armor piece, and keep going out to sea. I'm not even sure how that's possible, since the shell has an AP rating of a little over 11. And it wasn't a deflection off the turret, either, I saw the point where it entered and where it exited.

Built the cannon onto a Stug-like armored vehicle, it costs about 2400 material. Only problem with it is that it constantly shakes on the ground, but that's a common problem apparently.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 08, 2019, 05:21:46 pm »

So uhh, I haven't really played in a while, but has anyone seen anything about how the developers are trying to rush towards a 1.0 release? Does anybody know what the deal with that is? It seemed they trickled out content over the past few years but suddenly they're trying to cram a whole bunch of stuff into the game at once. They even set up some sort of thing involving getting people to follow them on Facebook and other social media in order to unlock 'stretch goal' style content.. I get the feeling that for one reason or another they're pressured into releasing a "1.0" soon. I admit that when it comes to vehicle building games there are others that have kept me occupied recently, but FTD is the only one I know that has actual combat with AI, so it'd be a shame to see it flounder.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 09, 2019, 02:08:34 am »

they just called back on the release rush plan

>  they trickled out content over the past few years but suddenly they're trying to cram a whole bunch of stuff into the game at once /  for one reason or another they're pressured

what happened is that the main developer brought all the technical features he wanted to see in game, and then started hiring for the final stretch. game is not huge, so it makes sense to compress the paid parts as much as possible, and what happens is that all the system are getting polished al together giving the illusion of massive acceleration while it's mostly stuff getting properly integrated and balanced in a coherent, unified way

as a matter of fact the release rush was called back specifically because they found out that some stuff needed not just tweaking but a major rewrite (namely, the campaign)

> in order to unlock 'stretch goal' style content

that's some bullshit, especially since those are much needed features, but eh it's 2020 community management, but they do need to breach new ground because as it is everyone interested has likely heard of it at some point and already made the buy/pass decision

> it'd be a shame to see it flounder

it all depends on the new campaign of which we know very little. they could also handle multiplayer much better, because a Crossout-like version of this would be phenomenal, but the game is stuck with its 2010s mentality, which is its main growth issue rn and isn't being addressed.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 09, 2019, 06:07:13 am »

That bit about the caimpaign makes a lot of sense... the current campaign has so many little issues that just haven't been addressed in years.  Makes sense if they're just going to replace the thing.  Hopefully they keep all the enemy vehicles the community put so much time into.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 30, 2019, 10:39:14 am »

So ah, CRAMs are pretty good now.  Especially since explosions now max out at 30m and kinetic advanced cannon rounds have been nerfed.

In particular time-since-first-impact fuses on 1/3rd hardener 2/3rds explosives are shockingly effective.  I use a disabled Gannus as a target for weapons tests and a single hit from a turret using the above design will reliably punch through the hull and destroy the front or back turret.  I set up 3 triple turrets of that on a battleship for <25k mats.  I fired all 9 shots at the Gannus’s central torpedo bulge and shells almost literally cut the ship in half.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 30, 2019, 11:34:19 am »

the whole ship costs 25k or just the cannons?

because 25k of these new double barrel casematte simple weapons will give you a weapon of instant annihilation

(beware because cram tend to be very effective when you measure them aiming manually at close range, but a single plane or fast ship will be immune to them)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 30, 2019, 02:21:09 pm »

Oh, def not the whole ship.  Right now its just a bunch of armor, 9 CRAM guns, and 2 monster engines that are together somewhere around 20k engine power.  Whole thing is like 60k ATM, expecting 90k when finished.  Aside from a ring shield to protect the deck and a bunch of propellors on the back... not sure what all that energy is going towards.  Lasers/LAMS?

I’ve got a nice little advanced cannon setup as CIWS, the shells detonate directly in front of enemy missiles, into a shotgun style fragment burst.  I’m thinking 4 of those, one in each corner, should be good.  Beyond that IDK, there’s space for plenty more.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 01, 2019, 09:28:13 am »

Would anyone be interested in making a bay12 fleet?  Like a shared workshop group we upload designs to so we can try out and modify each other’s stuff?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2019, 03:08:32 pm »

If I were at all competent at this game perhaps. I didn't even know a group workshop was a thing.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:59 pm »

I havent played in quite a while, how is the fleet combat coming along? I could potentially be interested in designing some ships (to break up my usual gaming habits) again!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 01, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »

I'm up for it, as long as there's a theme to go with
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33