Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 77741 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #450 on: November 01, 2019, 10:02:50 pm »

I'll be honest: I don't know if a group workshop is a thing.  I mean its gotta be right?  Or some other way to host the files.

As for a theme, I'm open to suggestions.  I tend towards building big warships and elaborate advanced cannons, and typically avoid obviously futuristic stuff like lasers and visible energy shields (because I find the modern/WW2 theme more interesting).  But it might be fun to do something else.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 01, 2019, 10:16:19 pm »

I have a tiny 3000-ish RP sub for starting the campaign that's kinda begging for a share.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 04, 2019, 11:30:12 am »

Okay, so either we could make some kind of workshop list of bay12 designs.  Or I could host a new thread and link the workshop pages of our designs.

As for theme... normally I would suggest the usual bay12 “bloody spikes for armok thing”.  But that’s literally just white flayers.  So I’d suggest like dieselpunk* kinda pollution/industrial theme.  Like gears on spinners, smokestacks, guns with too many barrels, that kind of thing.  Maybe some zeppelins.  Sorta like Lauftrauser’s style.

*its like steampunk but ww2 era instead of victorian era
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2019, 01:54:26 pm »

oh I never did actual Zeppelin with like the new helium stuff that's be interesting

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 04, 2019, 10:52:39 pm »

So... should I make a new thread for this?

Also, this talk has inspired me to work on a new vehicle.  Behold, the (incomplete) Airscrew:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes the gears move and no, they serve no in-game purpose.  The intent is that when the body is done the gears will be visible only through thinish slits in the hull.  Its never going to be super practical price wise but the good news is it flies without power.  The idea is that its a helicopter that turns the rotation of a single axel into both vertical and forwards motion.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:06 am »

helium seems viable too, but only for large volumes.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 05, 2019, 10:30:55 am »

Its a little worse than that too since you’ll want to divide the interior into compartments so one hole doesn’t cause the whole thing to fall out of the sky.  A few internal propellors is probs for the best sadly...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 05, 2019, 11:36:40 am »

well that'd be one compartment already.

this thing is not going to be small XD

btw now one/two holes won't drain all helium out immediately, pump can keep buoyancy up if the holes are small enough

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 05, 2019, 01:47:39 pm »

I made this to transport materials to my refinery.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:49:31 pm by se5a »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 05, 2019, 03:12:44 pm »

well that'd be one compartment already.

this thing is not going to be small XD

btw now one/two holes won't drain all helium out immediately, pump can keep buoyancy up if the holes are small enough
That's really cool!  Did they ever buff the pumps bouyancy of helium?  I know it used to be like 1/3rd the lift air pumps would give you in water.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2019, 05:06:30 pm »

The last stable patch about 5 days ago buffed He Pumps.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 05, 2019, 07:32:23 pm »

Awesome, the buffs really have changed the game a bunch.

Which speaking of which, I'm having a hard time making Advanced Cannons I'm happy with.  I can make them dense and cost inefficient, or big and more affordable but still kinda sucky and super ammo intensive.  I'm glad they've nerfed them (CRAM was borderline redundant before) but its slightly frustrating.  In particular inert rounds seem to have been nerfed into the ground, while explosive rounds are roughly the same as before.  For some reason my best designs all feature long shells, the smallest I ever go any more is 6 components and I've gone as big as 20.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 05, 2019, 10:26:34 pm »

Alright, the Airscrew is in something resembling a combat ready state.  Enough for initial tests, with me flying it with creator mode invincibility on (its AI has no detection or maneuver ATM).   Cost is 28k

Its frame-like body was supposed to be placeholder but... I'm not sure armor would be worth the money.  Its flight pattern is so erratic even missiles often fail to hit it.  And its many propeller blades serve as a sort of sacrificial armor in many cases.  It (with slightly cheaty player invincibility on mind you) somehow reliably defeats White Flayers Slashers, which you'd think would just swat it out of the sky.  It also beat a Swordfish.  It usually loses against the Falkenhiem because of its rapid firing high velocity guns, but 1/3 times I tested it the Airscrew got a lucky AI snipe in and won.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2019, 04:38:37 pm »

so I was building the nose to be a modernish bulbous bow and then decided it just worked much better upside down

this might be take a while. hull shaping is hard.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 06, 2019, 06:44:02 pm »

You're doing the lord's work.  My ships have become increasingly boxey as I've come to understand just how much effort and time good hull shaping is.

If there's anything I've learned from the campaign designs, I think a complicated hull is good even if its mostly cosmetic.  Unlike RL, you can't make assumptions about the angle attacks will come from in FTD, so if your hull is full of complicated little greebling that's all the more likely any given point will be angled well.  Whereas a flat surface (deck included) can suffer immensely if a single enemy gets in the right place.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33