Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 77748 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #465 on: November 07, 2019, 05:20:29 pm »

so this is interesting:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

now ai can control helium pumps output and it can be relative to pitch, roll, height or what have you. so because the chambers are already segmented, I could use the front and rear to pitch the airship and the left/right to roll it, it's very smooth to see it in action, even without messing with pids and using the default hovering maneuver mode.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 07, 2019, 05:36:15 pm »

Ooh nice.  Makes me wonder what other maneuvering methods are in the game I haven’t thought about.

You should put missile warners on it and make it fall out of the sky when it sees incoming missiles.  The Airscrew has something like that. It has an altitude-in-pitch-out PID and when missiles are detected an ACB halves its target altitude.  Causing it to pitch down almost 90 degrees.  Doesn’t always work but when it does its graceful AF.

In fact if you turn on... I think its “extra drives”... you can set the pumps to 0 whenever you hit the down arrow key.  Nice little dodge if you’re flying it yourself.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 07, 2019, 05:39:49 pm »

there's also a maneuver option that does that in the AI menu, under projectile avoidance

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 08, 2019, 03:40:04 pm »

I believe that's how I did it in my blimp that I posted previously.
(it's been a while).
I really should get back into playing, just at the point where I keep going "I'll just wait for the next patch" and now I'm thinking I'll just wait for the new campaign changes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2019, 06:15:37 am »

airship grew a belly

yeah the turrets are stolen off a dwg ship sue me :P (also disregard the jets I put these just to test the ai setup)

still undecided the mid turret area looks a little too flat when seen from below. I'll have to put something there but the space is scarce.

edit:

so I tried with a friend today and not only you can play the campaign somewhat reliably, you can actually build on the same vehicle concurrently you don't have to take turn in build mode or anything, everything works but undo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:31:20 pm by LoSboccacc »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 10, 2019, 10:26:25 pm »

The game has an undo?!?

In other news...
I've built a ship absolutely monstrous at fighting DWG's particular brand of slow, fragile air vehicles.  Its got around a dozen simple AA flak turrets and the same amount of simple casemate APHE, and then a single quad-barreled CRAM turret that fires airbursting explosives with a 40m+ radius.

I spawned in 3 of them against every airship on the DWG easy + regular spawn list.  Not only did they win, they inflicted about as much damage ramming each other as the enemy did with their guns.
Don't let the wood fool you, most of its hull has applique armor under the wood.  Which for some reason now has 65 armor.  Vehicle overall cost is 43k.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2019, 05:56:24 pm »

it's getting there!

new top turret, new bottom turret, advanced cannons all around, I'll put in some torpedo launcher tho, because subs etc.

no idea what to do with the bridge. it also need some lams but since they changed lasers I've no idea how to build one

it still flies only by helium, ceiling is at 270mt; sits at 250k resources but it'll have to get a better engine because steams is too finicky for campaign play
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:17:18 am by LoSboccacc »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 11, 2019, 07:00:15 pm »

So since the LAMS change IMO they're only useful if you have more resources present than the enemy.  Like they can turn a win into a total win but in an evenly matched situation they're not great.

Anyway in the new system you want them to have a disproportionately large energy pool.  Such that they charge more slowly than they fire.  Since you probably won't be firing the LAMS constantly anyway.  This is my recipe for a LAMS system.

LAMS block
Multipurpose laser w/ output regulator
Coupler w/ either no Q switches, or 4
Any number of storage cavities (2 worked for me)
twice as many normal cavities, each w/ 2 triple pumps and 2 ordinary pumps.
A couple frequency doublers (1 might work, would have to do more tests)

Stick them in multiple places for redundancy and you're good to go.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »

what a 70k LAMS does to a 250k vessel for fighting onix watch

I'm down to the last boring parts, smoke generators, the citadel and something for the rear

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2019, 01:20:28 pm »

here it is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1914282593

I twiddled the ai some more, wresting it to be somewhat reliable

I didn't put smoke in the end, too ugly. it has been converted to all-aps and it has better anti-air defences.

I don't feel like I can improve this design anymore. it barely floats anyway, but it was an interesting journey https://imgur.com/a/GTwkDS6

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 18, 2019, 01:20:15 pm »

Nice!  I’ve been distracted but I’ll try downloading it tonight.

Imma make a thread for the bay12 FtDs faction if people are still interested.  Which forum does that go on?  Other games?  Play with your buddies?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 18, 2019, 01:59:53 pm »

buddies most likely.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 18, 2019, 07:36:52 pm »

Recently threw together a bomber.  Its 10k in mats and drops 16 or so small missiles as bombs.  The missiles are 2 blocks long, so two magnets and six explosive warheads.  Its a decent punch if they land close enough to something.

I used a small custom jet mostly because they are new.  It only goes 30m/s so I might gut it and run normal jets, as I need an engine anyway for ammo processors and apparently, jets for pitch and turning.

Every time I feel like building something vaguely plane-like, I'm reminded how temperamental the air AI can be.  Turning via banking is basically impossible, I didn't bother trying with this plane.  Half the time the set altitude is more a suggestion, and the plane either lawn darted into the water, or climbed into deep space.

Right now I want it to do overpassing bombing runs, which it does maybe 3/4 of the time.  Some times it just flies up and then U-turns without dropping any bombs like its got social anxiety or something.  Or if I set the AI the other way it just circles right on top of something and drops bombs as they reload.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2019, 08:38:49 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175058

I made the thread for the bay12 faction.  I’ll add Lo’s airship and at least one of my own designs in a bit.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 19, 2019, 04:11:56 am »

Every time I feel like building something vaguely plane-like, I'm reminded how temperamental the air AI can be.  Turning via banking is basically impossible, I didn't bother trying with this plane.  Half the time the set altitude is more a suggestion, and the plane either lawn darted into the water, or climbed into deep space.

pid is the answer usually. anyway I've a small working plane that does bombing run and ai controls perfectly, if you need a sample

in other news: where the heck can I find where to set ammo ejector azimuth now? it doesn't show in the missile part configuration screen.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33