Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luring a melancholic vampire into a trap  (Read 5648 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Luring a melancholic vampire into a trap
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:46:02 pm »

My current fortress' purpose is to build a boot camp for new adventurers. It provides a swimming pool, a place for archery practice, a weapon training room and basic equipment (especially flasks. I can never find more than the one I get when I start the game, and stopping for a water source every few hours is annoying).
Recently, an old acquaintance appeared: a dwarven vampire who used to be a queen consort and was struck by melancholy (long story). He got a new name, but I recognized him due to his melancholy and his dead vampire queen wife.
Since this fort's purpose, I think it could be a nice touch to leave some vampire blood behind, in case an adventurer wants to drink it.

But... how do I get him into that trap? Since he is melancholic, there is no way to control him. He has no motivations to go anywhere.
I found this thread, but I already know what to do with this vampire, but I don't know how I can manage this.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Luring a melancholic vampire into a trap
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:30:22 pm »

Can you convict them of a crime and have them dragged to a chain?
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:42:59 pm »

For that, I need a crime first. And for the "crime" of violating export bans or production orders, conviction is done without any possibilities for me to interfere. Is there an option to convict someone besides hoping for an additional vampire to strike?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 05:02:53 pm »

when he walks into a random room, lock it and dump something hostile onto him, then flood the chamber with water and make it your new water source.

I don't think melancholic vampires can die of hunger or thirst, so you should have plenty of time to do this.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:15:53 pm »

I believe melancholic and SRM dwarves will still obey burrows.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »

Thanks for the tips. The random room thing was problematic, because most of my rooms where in use.
The solution was to declare a small statue garden in a lockable room and assign it to the vampire. Despite his depression, he visited the room eventually. After that, I locked the door and activated the spikes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:01:41 pm by Grahar »

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:17:29 pm »

I can never find more than the one I get when I start the game, and stopping for a water source every few hours is annoying).
You can fill your backpack with water.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 05:40:47 pm »

I can never find more than the one I get when I start the game, and stopping for a water source every few hours is annoying).
or a quiver
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 06:01:40 pm »

or a quiver

Or minecarts (833 units), cauldrons (166 units), wheelbarrows (166 units), large pots (100 units), jugs (16 units), hives (8 units), bowls (5 units), nest boxes (3 units) mortars (1 unit), or pouches (1 unit).

Quivers can hold up to 20 units of water, while backpacks can hold up to 50. Water skins, flasks, and vials can only hold 3 units.

This is all assuming that they are empty before filling.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 06:46:17 pm »

Make sure you don't kill him! Provide he's not torn apart by vengeful ghosts, a melancholic vampire can be sealed off from the rest of the fort, making your fort effectively immortal as he counts under your control but can't go berserk and end your settlement.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 07:51:27 pm »

Make sure you don't kill him! Provide he's not torn apart by vengeful ghosts, a melancholic vampire can be sealed off from the rest of the fort, making your fort effectively immortal as he counts under your control but can't go berserk and end your settlement.
The only thing better at maintaining dwarvern society than a vampire...
is a crazy vampire
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 08:03:48 pm »

The only thing better at maintaining dwarvern society than a vampire...
is a crazy vampire

If you manage to have such a dwarf put in a cage (perhaps due to justice) and the cage is walled off, your fort is truly immortal unless you choose to end it. The killer ghost types can't target creatures in cages, and the vampire will never be released.