Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Resident Evil - SPECIAL Operation: Fallen STARS [OOC Thread]  (Read 9438 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

Resident Evil – SPECIAL Operations: Falling STARS IN CHARACTER THREAD

Quote from: Agent Kennedy’s Personal Log
1998… I’ll never forget it; the year when those grisly murders occurred in the Arklay Mountains. Suspected acts of cannibalism… some even began to wonder if a cult was at work. Looking back on it, I wish that had been the cause.

Soon after the murders occurred a virus broke out in a peaceful mountain community, Raccoon City, which turned those affected by the virus into walking corpses who feasted on human flesh. Soon after, the news was out to the whole world revealing that it was the fault of a secret viral experiment conducted by the international pharmaceutical corporation: Umbrella.

Not taking any chances, the President himself ordered a contingency plan that would sterilize the entire city. Nuclear fire rained from the sky and eliminated any trace of the zombie threat.

With the whole affair gone public, governments around the world issued indefinite suspensions of business decrees to Umbrella. Despite the many benefits they had given the world their crimes could not be forgiven. Soon its stock prices crashed across the board and for all intents and purposes Umbrella was finished.

It’s been six years since that tragic day…

Unfortunately while the Umbrella Corporation may be gone, their legacy lives on…

There had been some rumors of bio-terroristic activities going on in the nearby tourist trap “Ulados City”. So far there have been no outbreaks but we sent in one of our crack teams several hours ago. They never reported in.

I wonder what that means for the city…

Character Creation
In order to be accepted as a member of S.T.A.R.S. you must fill out the following sheet to allow the captain to better assess your skills. In order to apply for the position simply fill in the sheet.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Known Traits
These are documented traits that have been observed within the wastelands.  During character creation you can select up to 2 traits. All traits have a positive and a negative effect. Note that some traits are mutually exclusive. These will be noted via underlined text.

Bloody Mess: Your attacks are always all out. You can cause a lot more damage but you rarely cause a critical hit.Finesse
Bruiser: Your large, muscular frame is almost freakish and causes you to hit a lot harder. However, you seem to be slightly less intelligent than others. Small Frame.
Conqueror:  You love combat! You seek it out at every opportunity. Unfortunately, your blood-lust has led to your other skills deteriorating over time.
Fast Shot: You don’t have time for fancy trick shots. After all, if you plug the enemy full of holes before they can even draw their gun who is the real winner? Steady Shot
 Finesse: Few are more graceful than you with a weapon. Unfortunately you’ve sacrificed power for this level of skill.
 Gifted: Others learned skills, you were born with attributes. Things come easy to you, but you feel like your coasting through life will come back to bite you. Skilled.
Good Natured: You don’t yearn for combat and prefer peaceful solutions. Outside of a fight you are THE person to talk to. In a fight… Not so much.
Jinxed: Nothing ever seems to go right for you… Or the person next to you… or anyone you’ve ever seen for that matter… It’s almost as if there is a curse centered on you that destroys luck.
 Kamikaze: You attack first and often. You are always the first into a fight. Unfortunately your reckless nature often means you are also the first out of the fight.
One Hander: One of your hands is very dominant. You can use one handed weapons with great skill! Unfortunately the second you try to include your other hand into the mix you find that everything goes down-hill quickly.
Skilled: You don’t rely on your natural gifts to succeed. Mainly because you have none! Your natural states is a despicable thing indeed. Thankfully long years of practice have resulted in you being somewhat acceptable in other matters. Gifted
Small Frame: Be you slim or short you are much smaller than other people. You don’t let this slow you down however. In fact, you are much faster for not having to carry around a lot of bulk. Bruiser
Steady Shot: You don’t like wasting bullets so you try to make each shot count. Some may prefer firing more often but that only leaves them with a knife when a Tyrant comes creeping about. Unfortunately you seem to have some trouble if firing on the move.

Combat

As a STARS operative combat is sometimes unavoidable. Whether you engage a BOW or, more likely, it engages you it is your duty to be familiar with how combat works. At its heart Combat usually follows the following template:
Quote from: Usual Combat Flowchart
A.   Combat is initiated.
B.   Sequence for both sides is rolled (d20+Sequence of random member of side)
C.   Side with the highest sequence goes first, followed by 2nd highest, then 3rd, etc. etc.
a.   The members of each side go in order of their Sequence modifier in descending order. Members with matching Sequence modifiers roll a die. Highest goes first.
D.   If any members of an opposing side remain repeat B and C until only one side remains.
E.   The Victorious side gains experience and may continue on however they wish.
But we at STARS feel we should further go into how combat works. But first you should know what actions are available to you during combat:

Quote from: Combat Actions
Walking – 1 AP per Space Moved [Usually]
Attacking - # AP (Varies from Weapon to Weapon)
Targeted Attack - +1 AP (In addition to the weapons normal cost)
Reload Weapon – 2 AP
Access Inventory – 4 AP (This involves switching weapons, using chems, or anything else not in your hands currently.)
Other Actions – 3 AP (This involves moving rocks, picking up a weapon from the ground, etc. etc.)
Walking is rather self evident. You can move any amount of spaces during your turn so long as you do not end your turn in the same square as anyone else. You can move through the same square as your allies however you must walk around enemies. You can also attempt to Sneak by using the sneaking skill. This may allow you to move undetected. Attacks made while sneaking have a +20% chance to critical hits. Unfortunately if you are noticed while sneaking your turn will end immediately.

Attacking is a bit harder. You should analyze the weapon you have for more details on how best to use it but in general the theory holds something like this: You select a target to attack, you roll a d100 for chance to hit. If you roll at or below your “Chance to Hit (CtH)” you successfully hit them and they take damage. CtH is affected by light level, distance from target, and proficiency with your weapon. Aimed shots work similarly however you can target a specific spot on your enemy for a variety of effects depending on weapon. Try out a variety of attacks to find the one you like best.
Quote from: Captain’s Note on Criticals
Every person has a chance to do a Critical Hit. This could be anything from increased damage [1.5x, 2x, or even 3x on very lucky shots], Crippling a Limb [Only on targeted shots], Ignoring the Targets Armor, Knocking the Target out, or Knocking the Target over. This is rolled independently of CtH and Damage.

Unfortunately you also have a chance to suffer a critical failure. If your CtH roll lands above 90 [Every point of luck increases this number further.]. This can include Running out of Ammo, Jamming your Gun, Losing all of your remaining AP, Dropping your Weapon, or even your weapon exploding! If this wasn’t bad enough you can also see other critical failures!

Reload Weapon is simple. Most firearms, and some rare melee weapons, rely on ammunition to function. Once the clip is spent you must replace it with a fresh one or else you cannot attack. Simply reload in order be able to attack again.

Access Inventory is vital! As you can only have one weapon prepared at a time you might find that another would be better suited to your situation. Thus you can rummage through your backpack/holsters/holding container in order to fetch a new one or grab a stim-pack. Regardless finding your equipment takes time. If you do not have enough AP you may have to deal with making an unarmed strike [Always an option] instead of using your brand new chainsaw.

Other can be anything else! STARS expects its candidates to be able to think while on the field. Perhaps you want to talk to your opponent or open a sewer grating or climb down a ladder. This can mean almost anything other than what has already been explained.

Armor Class Bonus is also an option. Sometimes you do not want or cannot take another action that would be tactically sound and so you must wait. Thankfully this grants you a small bonus to your Armor Class. For each unspent action point at the end of your turn you gain +1 to your Armor Class until your next turn.

Frequently Asked Questions
Many trained officers are nervous about entering STARS.  Set below are several Frequently Asked Questions that should cover some of the basics in order to make you more comfortable with how things are done within STARS:

What’s up with the colored text?:

That depends. If it is within quotation marks that means that someone is speaking. People who use the same colored text sound like each other. If it is an item or weapon name it denotes what skill is used with the weapon or if it is armor or some other type of item. The weapons are colored thusly:

Duelist Weapons which include handguns and magnums.
Automatic Weapons which include SMGs and Assault Rifles.
Assault Weapons which includes all shotguns.
Marksman Weapons which includes Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
Explosive Weapons which includes grenades and Rocket Launchers
Melee Weapons which includes your fists, bats, and knives.
Armor which is anything you can equip to increase your AC.
Anything Else which is literally everything else you pick up.

Furthermore all colored text, aside from speech can be moused over to show more details. All text, aside from the above weapon categories that is.

What actions can I take?
Any and all actions you can think of! Part of life after the nuclear devastation is being able to adapt. Generally actions wills proceed like this:
1.   The player will state the action they wish to take in bold.
2.   Their character will attempt to perform that action. If they are unable to they will do the action as closely as possible.
a.   Actions with a meaningful chance of failure will rely on a SPECIAL stat, tools, or a skill in order to accomplish it.
3.   The Mod will post the results in the forum.

How do I gain EXP?
By completing quests or killing/knocking out enemies.

How do I move?

In most instances you simply treat movement like any other action. Meaning you bold what you want to do. However when you’re trying to move on the Overmap [The Map covering the entirety of the world available to you] it’s a little different. You can either denote locations [I.E. Go to The Mall], Directions [Head East until…], Specific squares [Go to ZZ24], or simply state you want to explore [This will make your group head into unexplored hexes].

Be warned however that moving through the Overmap is dangerous. Each Grid square has a possibility of a Random Event which could be anything from Merchants to Bandits to Mutants. You can ask to see the available “Overmap” at any time.

How Do I Get More Non-STARS Equipment?
There will likely be several ways. Scavenging the bones of civilization for what you need, purchasing it from those who are willing to trade their supplies for currency or even stripping looters who attempt to make the most of their new situation through violence. In short: You can find equipment in almost any area so long as you are clever and keep an open mind.

What about...?

Any further questions can be posited directly to a STARS representative who will answer your question AND add it to the FAQ if needed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:54:00 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fallen STARS - Operative List
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:58:59 am »

Spoiler: Kyle Johnson/KJ1225 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:22:14 pm by Nerjin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil - SPECIAL Operation: Fallen STARS
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:59:27 am »

Reserved...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:13:16 pm by Nerjin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil - SPECIAL Operation: Fallen STARS
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:59:49 am »

Final reserve.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil - SPECIAL Operation: Fallen STARS [0/4 Operatives]
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:01:41 pm »

Reserving because it's a bit more than I usually do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:21:24 pm by kj1225 »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:17:23 pm »

I'll finalize my sheet and get it to you tonight Nerjin.i
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:48:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EDIT: Dangit, forgot to add traits.
EDIT2: Changes Drug Resistance to Skilled. Changed my stats to reflect that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:43:49 pm by darkpaladin109 »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:50:15 pm »

Uhm you know S.T.A.R.S are an American elite police unit? They don't recruit people from other continents they recruit from amongst the American police forces and American soldiers and operate only in America.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 02:53:21 pm »

He could have been an American cop for a while before being recruited into STARS. Or an outside member of sorts. I dunno.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 02:54:27 pm »

At 56 with his family still in Berlin?
Caine's law.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 02:58:34 pm »

... Yes? I see nothing wrong with handwaving this a little. Dual Citizenship?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 02:58:44 pm »

I... Is this a Resident Evil game using the Fallout system? I just... really wish that I had the time to play this.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 03:00:24 pm »

Lol S.T.A.R.s is an elite unit the amount of time he'd need to be with the cops just to be considered he'd have abandoned his family for like 10 years.

Caine's law.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 03:00:46 pm »

... Yes? I see nothing wrong with handwaving this a little. Dual Citizenship?
I'l propably just change the backstory around a bit later. But yeah, that could work, if you allow it, GM.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 03:00:56 pm »

Yep, and we get Pipboys as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10