Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we make a "so many people between" rule?

3 posts by other people (that weren't the same as the ones before you last time) between your own posts
- 5 (41.7%)
2 posts by other people (that weren't the same as the ones before you last time) between your own posts
- 7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Children of the Stars (OOC)  (Read 16182 times)

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile
Children of the Stars (OOC)
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »

Click for infopage. Click here for IC.
Scientists estimate the universe to be around 14 billion years old and that life is 3.5 billion years old. Assuming there are billions of planets out there, life has had billions of opportunities to start.

While many scientists on Earth believe that Earth is rare for being able to support life they are only half-right. It is rare that Earth has life in that area of space. The "fertile crescent" of the universe is on the opposite side from Earth, and many planets have life in that area.

You are among the first of the sapient species on a few planets in that area. Your people have lived in caves for an amount of time, but now you are forming a civilization. Can your civilization stand the test of time, and can it find its siblings of the stars?

The rules:
  • Research or long projects:
       Research and long projects work by writing down what you're doing and how many posts you have to make to finish completing it. "Gunpowder: 1/2" would work if it takes 6 months to invent gunpowder. Just decide reasonable times.
  • Time:
       Each post is equal to 3 Earth months, though Earth calendars don't exist here. As such, you can only do things that  could have happened over the course of 3 months in a single post; other actions need to be split up. Universal time must also be posted.
  • Population:
       Population summaries in each post, as detailed as you want. At least just "Total population:
  • ". You could split it by province or city if you want.
  • Battle:
       If two civilizations battle they must post basic "army stats" before the battle.
  • Moderatorship:
       The OP is not the moderator in any regards. All moderation actions are done through OOC votes with all players. Majority rule.
  • Telephoning:
    Technological growth, project progress and population growth can only occur in a non telephoned post. A telephoned post is defined as any post that does not have 3 different people posting between the civilization's previous post. This will be an example and will bold telephoned posts to point them out:

NN
    Varee
    NN
    Rolepgeek
    IamanElfCollaborator
    Varee
    NN
    IamanElfCollaborator

The main purpose of still allowing telephoned posts is to make communication more rapid, but technological progress keep everyone more together.

If this gets too constraining we will reduce it to 2.
You start out with one city that has a defensive wall, city hall, and some basic structures.

Unofficial Official Waitlist:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:21:06 pm by nearlyNonexistent »
Famous for stupidity and humor.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Flayed Ones? (click to show/hide)

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile

Heh, more of this.

EDIT:

Note that writing down your opinion would probably be helpful if you vote for rule change ones. Add more rules for what situations; well, which situations?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I have the strange feeling, that I have seen this type of game before. As in, almost exactly the same rules, probably my mind, but anyway.

So, this is a completely freeform civilization RP. Let's see how that goes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile

I have the strange feeling, that I have seen this type of game before. As in, almost exactly the same rules, probably my mind, but anyway.

It's "heavily inspired" by a really old roleplay from many years ago. I've just kind of prettied it up to make it more accessible. Really the rules are so in the background that it doesn't matter since the uniqueness comes from all the players.

Also if we get enough people interested you'd be approved. Also do note that people can be on the same planet and it's recommended for early interaction.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Guwaghaii, 'Collective of the Mountain Peoples'
Picture and/or physical description: Huge (the average adult being 20 Meters tall) quadrupedal beings similar in shape to gorillas, albeit lacking a head, and legs ending in club-like feet. Rather than a head, their upper body ends in a stump containing a pair of sockets (for sight) and nostrils. Their internal organs, including neurological and cardiovascular systems, lie inside their skeletonless bodies, separated only by tissue and muscle rather than bone. Guwaghaii lack skeletons as their exterior consists of an extremely durable exoskeleton, giving them the appearance of mobile monoliths. Their mouths rest on their underbellies; to eat they lower themselves down, open their armored carapace and suck in whatever food they have found. They also communicate orally, with tonal, guttural words that boom from their mouthplaces. 

Racial characteristics:
- Tough Exoskeleton: Guwaghaii posses a tough, almost metallic exoskeleton, which protects them from both otherwise deadly creatures and their rough mountainous habitat. The downside to this is their lack of any sort of agility, moving at a turtle pace. In cases where they must resort to fighting, they usually strike at the ground to send rocky debris flying at hostility.
- Herbigeovores: Guwaghaii subsist on eating plant matter, as well as minerals-rich rocks, for nutrition.
- Exponential Growth/Long Lifespan: Guwaghaii start out life the size of a pebble, but continue to grow as long as food is around. This leads to the oldest and largest Guwaghaii being over 32 meters tall and nearly four-hundred years old. The "natural" death of a Guwaghaii, if it makes it past 300 years of age, comes as a result of them being too large to move and support themselves, inevitably succumbing to starvation and exhaustion.
- External Reproduction: Guwaghaii reproduce similarly to frogs. A female will lay a batch of eggs, which any nearby male can fertilize.
- Fast Learners: Being tough and big will not be enough to get you by on a harsh, rocky world. Guwaghaii are not necessarily smarter than other sentient beings, but they do pick up on ideas from both the environment and each other at a notably speedy rate.

Racial Biography: The Guwaghaii species came about as a result of billions of years' worth of chemical reactions with rocky structure, which at some point resulted in a biological outcome. The Guwaghaii are patient giants, lacking the agility to excite or fight amongst temselves. They enjoy the company of each other and other friendly life, such as the Hibwutai, a flying bovine-like creature that coexist with the Guwaghaii, nearly to the point of domesticity. The Guwaghaii prefer discussion and chatter to angry screaming, and frequently even engage in harmonic singing with each other.

Location: A diverse planet, ranging from sweeping plains, to vast jungles and sweeping deserts. Typically, these biomes are seperated by a large body of water, resulting in each landmass having its own ecosystem. The Guwaghaii inhabit a Northern island landmass defined by rocks and littered with alternating mountains and valleys. They know nothing else of the planet, besides the surrounding ocean.

Technology:
Tribal Era - Masonry
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:13:21 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Interesting. Probably won't play unless you really need players (it's not defined enough for me) but I'm interested in seeing what emerges.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to watch (and possibly join in)

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile

Made a note on how moderation will work for this.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

•Name of species and civilization: Bloons
•Picture and/or physical description: A balloon with multiple tentacle that floats around. Have no ear or external sensory receptor but can sense nearby object. Tentacle are 1-2meterlong and is rather rough. Body is durable but soft and round.
•Racial characteristics:
    - Flight can float around in the air.
    - Asexual reproduction can repriduce quickly
    - mental projection can talk to other telepathically but can not communicate physically
    -Adaptive evolution can mutate rapidly to fulfill certain need
•Racial biography:
    -Bloons develop from methane based living thing in the large gas giant of Psyron. They grew up to use energy from the gas in the air and chemical reaction. Their planet is very cloudy and the weather is not very forgiving so they dont have any specific settlement but they just float from place to place. They evolve to become adaptive to their current environment. Their simple structure allow them to easily mutate and adapt to the environment. Theydon't  have access to tech or material as they just continuously float around, one day the air around them changes and they start floating higher up, they sense disturbance in the environment and realize that a new era is coming.
•Location: A methane gas giant where this teibe of unlikely organism trives. The air is think and full of smig so they evolve without sight.
•Technology: Primal Era
       - Gas storage : ability to store gas for future use, can survive longer without gas

EDIT added back story and work out how no technology might work, if this is not ok then just say so i will reowrk it
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:32:10 pm by Varee »
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile

I like the bloons, they're fine. I might want to limit the planets to only 2 however; the gas giant, the jungle planet, and the moons of each are available. (Around 5 moons for the gas giant, all fairly close?)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

I am quite interested.

Will come up with a sheet stuff later.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What exactly is meant by 'racial biography'?

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

The only problem I can think of is that of technology. It shouldn't follow the same path as technology on Earth, simply because some of it just wouldn't apply. Take the bloons for example. How exactly are they going to farm? Build structures? Gather natural resources such as iron? What's more, the lack of certain technologies will influence others. Imagine if humanity never discovered gunpowder?

Tech trees will have to be unique to a species and environment.

I'm guessing the race's background info.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile

Miniature backstory and racial temperament due to it.

Also, yeah, it'll be unique. That's why I don't have a specific tech tree written down. You make up what techs to research generally, if certain technologies being researched seem a bit too implausible for the tech level we'd discuss it in OOC and decide what to do about that.

So the bloons could go with chemical based technology progression due to that being easier to since with their ESP or what not, or the Hive could try out biotech progression.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16