Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gathering Ideas - More Dorf Mod  (Read 1311 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Gathering Ideas - More Dorf Mod
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:39:19 pm »

'ello 'ello 'ello.
It's been a long while since I've done a modding project. I won't be able to start a new one for the next two months, since I'll be without time or computers. But I do have one I'm planning, if anyone cares enough to give feedback/suggestions for new features.
The basic premise is that I want to make Dwarf Fortress more... epic? I want to push procedural history as far as the engine can support it. I want existing fantasy elements to become more prominent, while adding new ones. Essentially, I want the game to grab the player by the imagination, without having to add more complicated gameplay mechanics than already exist.

Here's what I've gotten planned so far;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering Ideas - More Dorf Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:19:35 pm »

Would you like some help? For the cave civ I'm thinking the Vlagh, a civ of bug people ruled by a powerful, immortal queen with the ability to change the DNA of her eggs. Castes include diggers, workers, thinkers, soldiers, sneakers, and several more bestial types. I've been thinking about this for a while. The actual idea is from The Dreamers series by David Eddings.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:08:08 pm »

Looking back over everything, I have some comments. Firstly, don't standardize all organic materials. I like having forgotten beast leather trousers and dragon bone rings. Just standardize some things, like meat and tallow. Secondly, the tags that make civs get taken over by demons make it so that the positions can't be modified. That makes it sort of hard to add diplomats, doesn't it? Third, the race of semimegas should include minotaurs too, because they always breed out of control anyway. Fourth, not all civs should build all constructions. Some wouldn't be able to lay bricks, some wouldn't expect their leaders to die, some just wouldn't have the inclination. Finally, everything else sounds pretty cool, can I help?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:35:02 pm »

[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] (which is the token to let civs be lead by demons) doesn't actually override positions added to the civ. I know Masterwork does this as do many people making simple modifications to their personal DF file when they give humans diplomats. Masterwork takes it even further than just diplomats though because all civs have a full list of positions and most of them (even playable ones) have [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL].
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 04:16:45 pm »

More interested in doing this myself than making this a group project, but thanks for offering.
Standardizing materials gives a massive, massive fps boost, which makes it pretty necessary in my books. It's also hard to mod in after you've finished everything else in a mod without using tools like rubble, and vanilla creatures are broken with standardized materials. So maybe I'll do a standardized/non-standardized version using rubble. The main appeal of undstandardized materials is so that you can tell which species the material came from (adds atmosphere, but at the fps cost...) and so that some creatures can have higher value remains (since it's so easy to generate value and it's only used in caravans, not that big of a deal at this point).