Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for better solution to making carnivores and birds inedible  (Read 4031 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Looking for better solution to making carnivores and birds inedible
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »

One FB or Titan will make this obsolete, as they give hundrets/thousand units of food when being butchered.  ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »

Why is this not working?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Changed it from sev 100 to 10,000 after it didn't work, also the enter_blood. Don't know if either of those are necessary.
They're definitely eating "poisoned dog sausage" (the non poisoned one has a different name for debugging purposes. They would eventually use the same name) where dogs use in their body plan:
   [ADD_MATERIAL:SAUSAGE:POISON_SAUSAGE_TEMPLATE]

[REACTION:SMOKE_SAUSAGE]
   [NAME:smoke 5 sausages]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_S]
   [REAGENT:A:5:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:PACKABLE][UNROTTEN]
      [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SAUSAGE_MAT]
   [REAGENT:B:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:5:MEAT:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SAUSAGE_MAT]
   [SKILL:COOK]
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 02:23:07 am »

Another solution: give all animals CAN_SPEAK.  They will then get hungry and feed themselves from any barrels and drink from any standing water as long as it is not outside their pasture.  If they don't have CAN_LEARN, eating them is not considered cannibalism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 02:24:24 am »

Another solution: give all animals CAN_SPEAK.  They will then get hungry and feed themselves from any barrels and drink from any standing water as long as it is not outside their pasture.  If they don't have CAN_LEARN, eating them is not considered cannibalism.
Wont they learn social skills in the meantime? Or does that specifically require can_learn? I dimly remember dog mayors...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 02:29:26 am »

Wont they learn social skills in the meantime? Or does that specifically require can_learn? I dimly remember dog mayors...

I'm pretty sure that all social behaviors requires the ability to learn.  Speech by itself only seems to affect eating, as weird as that is.

Edit: Actually speech probably affects all idle activities (it also allows fishing if the creature has fishing enabled) but since it can't learn any skills, social or otherwise, all it will actually do is eat.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 04:44:11 am »

One FB or Titan will make this obsolete, as they give hundrets/thousand units of food when being butchered.  ;)
I am addressing this. Meat will spoil much more quickly (not actually rotting, but a material with temperature damage above 40F, which is only about 6 days survival underground, and only 2-3 days in a hot or scorching climate aboveground), and will need to be preserved by confits (tallow) or salting (rock salt) or pickling (vinegar made from 1 alcohol) or smoked sausages (wood) or other resource requiring options to stop it being destroyed, if you don't have cold areas available for storage.

Fixed the stack issue, so the FB meat would all actually be available. But still, with reactions that preserve meat in groups of only about 5 at a time (slower for the tallow option), it would be nearly impossible to save a FB's entire body of meat in time, unless you are in a cold biome and do it above ground, or have literally like 50 kitchens and cooks.

Another solution: give all animals CAN_SPEAK.
I will DEFINITELY be testing this. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:46:00 am by GavJ »

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »

Fixed the stack issue
Please what?

Another solution: give all animals CAN_SPEAK.
I will DEFINITELY be testing this. Thanks!
Could you please post the results afterwards?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 02:50:46 am »

Fixed the stack issue
Please what?
I had to make meat into not-meat, as the [MEAT] tag seemed to be implying edible in a raw state. But leaving it as body parts made it just 1 meat per creature, and making it globs made it a stack, but a broken stack (like bones are). So making it into a tool for example gets around this. Ammo works as well. Then other problem arise due to butcher_special being broken, and blah blah, down the line, but I think I have it working.

Could you please post the results afterwards?
Yes, tested it. So, adding [CAN_SPEAK] means:

1) The animals get names, even if they don't have owners. This may happen even for wild animals, I haven't tested that yet. It is annoying when dealing with body parts that are all named so that you can't tell what animal it is and it takes up half the screen in text, although if the butcher products are things other than body parts, it seems to just do "dog meat" or whatever non-annoyingly.
2) The animals sleep.
3) The animals get thirsty and will only drink from water sources. I didn't test wells. I did test murky pools, and they seem to have no qualms at all about them. They will not drink salt water though. They will not drink booze.
4) The animals get hungry and will go grab food from barrels and eat it as needed.

edit: they do not seem to have names or require sustenance in the wild.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:13:53 am by GavJ »

Pages: 1 [2]