Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 361770 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2014, 12:41:35 pm »

Strictly speaking, no - once that patch of the glacier has been MELTed, it won't regenerate.

However, prior lava flooding of the surface indicates that lava can be used to generate ice.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2014, 02:52:40 pm »

do you think the foul fog in the "snow" will taint the water?
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2014, 04:38:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure it won't. The foul fog is on the surface of the glacier, which I'm paving over with obsidian. The water in the cistern will be melted from the glacier itself, so it shouldn't ever come into contact with the foul fog.

Of course, in other situations - say, if I were to apply the MELT to a different patch of ice, formed during a lava flooding, that encased some foul fog - it would definitely be a concern.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2014, 05:01:52 pm »

Strictly speaking, no - once that patch of the glacier has been MELTed, it won't regenerate.

However, prior lava flooding of the surface indicates that lava can be used to generate ice.
If you had control over the MELT water flow, say via flood gate, could you stop the flow when it gets low, let the magma dry then refreeze?
Although it seems appropriate to slowly destroy the glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2014, 05:44:02 pm »

If you had control over the MELT water flow, say via flood gate, could you stop the flow when it gets low, let the magma dry then refreeze?
Although it seems appropriate to slowly destroy the glacier.

That's a great idea - but it wouldn't work the way I have it set up at the moment. With proper planning, an infinite water device is certainly possible.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2014, 02:47:20 pm »

Rith Craftportent might be the most epic example of bizarre Mayor scenarios I have ever seen. And it could not be more fitting for this story. It's also the perfect name for a vampire. I don't know why but it just fits. Although, I have a question about her actual name. Whenever you show a screen shot of his name, it doesn't say Rith Craftportent. It says Rith Rigòthniral. Am I missing something? Oh, I was missing something. I looked back and Rith Crafportent was a title. Ok. That makes more sense. I forgot about that. On another note, the Werezebra was also named Rith. Rith Kanuzol Cog Kebul or the title of "Rith Tiredoiled the Boot of Sparkling." I imagine the name Rith must have some significance.

Anyway, the point is that the Rith enigma is amazing. It is actually not that uncommon for Vampires to have enough social ties and ability to be elected mayor. It's also not uncommon for word to spread automatically. But never have I heard of any dwarf that wasn't a straight up necromancer seeking council of undead in fortress mode. (Although, I tend to make my vampires have unfortunate accidents so my experience with them is more limited.) In some respects, it makes sense that a technically non living vampire would not trigger the opposed to life tag on undead. But seeking council, and as the mayor of a living civilization no less, is on a whole different level.

But that's only just the beginning. Rith is the most amazing example of an opportunistic vampire. She will always go to try and infiltrate the fortress to feed if given the chance. But it didn't seem like Domas Firstfigures even noticed. He didn't seem to react. Yet Rith and the Diagnoser immediately were on the move. And then she and the undead diagnoser always seem to be out of range of the magma super weapon. How do they know? And the vampires seem almost unaffected by the weather and harsh conditions. I guess being technically not alive, they don't need food or drink, they aren't effected by harsh conditions, and they have little no know emotional reaction to undead and evil weather. And stealing clothes from the undead? Omg. I have never heard of anything like that. To think a dwarf would resort to that. But I guess that's how she avoids being unhappy due to lack of suitable clothes. It's crazy. Then there are her mandates. The swords in a reanimating evil biome. Laughably sadistic. Yet the slab mandates to deal with the ghosts makes sense due to the impracticality to risk burying the dead in a proper grave. Rith has so many great odd quirks.

Anyway, the point is that I have never heard of a vampire with such character as Rith Craftportent. It's amazing.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2014, 05:25:30 pm »

Although, I have a question about her actual name. Whenever you show a screen shot of his name, it doesn't say Rith Craftportent. It says Rith Rigòthniral. Am I missing something? Oh, I was missing something. I looked back and Rith Crafportent was a title.
Rigòthniral = Craftportent.
くコ:彡

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2014, 09:51:54 pm »

Although, I have a question about her actual name. Whenever you show a screen shot of his name, it doesn't say Rith Craftportent. It says Rith Rigòthniral. Am I missing something? Oh, I was missing something. I looked back and Rith Crafportent was a title.
Rigòthniral = Craftportent.

Yeah. I forgot about that. I realized when I went back and checked. I corrected myself mid post and was too lazy to change it.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2014, 01:12:36 am »

Rith means bell. Bell craft portent. Perhaps she is the fort's death bell.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2014, 05:11:33 am »

Rith means bell. Bell craft portent. Perhaps she is the fort's death bell.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31:51 pm »

Cow Bone Floodgate? I have a very creepy vision in my head, complete with a cow skull with glowing eyes...

When you look away you hear raspy, undead breathing, but look at it and silence falls once more, even as you can't help but feel that the spirit of the glacier has possessed the floodgate... it is ever waiting, always patient, knowing that all will fall in time and Ice will cover Roomcarnage once more.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »

That is pretty creepy!

Chapter thirty-one has been posted!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:56 pm »

Palatable disappointment at that caravan.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2014, 11:57:35 pm »

You're telling me.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2014, 12:10:58 am »

I suppose you were counting on caravans ebing guaranteed to spawn in a depot-accessible area? Does the liaison have the same properties? It seems his/her spawn is unrelated to that of the caravan.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44