Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 361782 times)

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2014, 09:54:11 am »

I suspect that merchants only show up on the ground level, so you need to secure some part of the edge.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2014, 03:59:13 pm »

I suspected that as well, but for the sake of narrative, it is better to go through the process of discovery.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2014, 01:39:04 am »

Chapter 33 has been posted!

Additionally, I've figured out how to stream. I don't know when I'll be able to stream regularly, but until I've got some sort of schedule down, I'll make streaming announcements on the /r/dwarffortress subreddit. My channel is here: http://www.twitch.tv/zombie_giant_sponge
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:50:18 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »

Awesome story.  So glad it's not over yet.  Now that you have a well, have you thought about the possibility of transforming everyone into vampires, in the event of some unforeseen catastrophe?  It would definitely allow you to survive the undead, and indefinitely.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2014, 08:06:54 pm »

Now that you have a well, have you thought about the possibility of transforming everyone into vampires, in the event of some unforeseen catastrophe?

...Pretty sure everyone turning into vampires qualify as a catastrophe in itself.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2014, 08:59:29 pm »

yeah, it kind of means the undead have won when only undead are left.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »

Now that you have a well, have you thought about the possibility of transforming everyone into vampires, in the event of some unforeseen catastrophe?

...Pretty sure everyone turning into vampires qualify as a catastrophe in itself.

That, and we saw how problematically slow vampire labor can be. Does he really want a fortress full of slow glacially slow workers?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »

That, and we saw how problematically slow vampire labor can be. Does he really want a fortress full of slow glacially slow workers?

Hrm... glacial... undead... he'd be giving the Ice of Ghosts exactly what it wants.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:27 pm »

Hey, so, I would guess that at this point it's irrelevant, and it may have already been said, but the miserable half-naked stonecrafter of part 17 cannot go insane. Successful moods stop all three varieties of insanity (so says DFwiki). Granted, she could still tantrum, but that's always temporary.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2014, 05:59:39 pm »

She can and did go insane quite a while ago, and currently has an engraved slab because her ghost was screwing with the living. Creating an artifact only prevents insanity in that it provides a +1000 happy thought, which goes away eventually, and clearly had done so if Dastot was miserable.
くコ:彡

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:07 pm »

Regardless of whether or not the stonecrafter could have gone insane, the pressing issue at that time was that she was constantly throwing tantrums. It was a situation that had to be resolved, and quickly.

Chapter 34 is up! Thanks for reading!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2014, 11:13:39 pm »

The Nothing reminds me of unrevealed underground. Can you dig it?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2014, 11:33:52 pm »

I hadn't before, but I just did. It's not diggable.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:29 pm »

No doubt some foul vampire magic at work :(

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile