Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 361318 times)

Sherlock70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2014, 10:17:44 am »

Oh dear! 25 days without news from Roomcarnage. This does not bode well for those stalwart dwarves.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 26, 2014, 10:47:39 am »

Oh dear! 25 days without news from Roomcarnage. This does not bode well for those stalwart dwarves.

It's exam season in Uni town. Hold on to your metaphorical equines.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2014, 12:24:08 pm »

Indeed! I've just gotten busier, and another creative project has been taking up a lot of my free time. I hope to have the next chapter finished this weekend.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 26, 2014, 12:34:06 pm »

Indeed! I've just gotten busier, and another creative project has been taking up a lot of my free time. I hope to have the next chapter finished this weekend.

I feel you m8. I'm desperately struggling to get 3 essays in before exams start. So obviously, the past 4-6 hours have been spent making a dwarf fortress mod as opposed to being actually productive.
In my defense, I've been awake for about 36 hours now.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2014, 10:42:13 pm »

Looking forward to it :)
hamster cheese supplies are low

MJMCP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2014, 09:16:44 pm »

What sort of creative project? More mead?

As a sidenote, reddit misses Zombie_Giant_Sponger.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »

A musical composition, actually. And mead, yes, but that hardly takes up any time.

Keep the faith! Roomcarnage endures.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2014, 04:11:31 am »

I am usually checking this thread on a daily basis. Lately i had the surgery, and while i was in the hospital, i thought "that Roomcarnage story will surely have a new chapter when i will get out!".
No story is complete without the end, and no story can be judged without reading it to the end. This story is the best story about DF i have ever read, and i am looking forward to knowing it's end - will Ruth be killed? Will the caravan reach the dwarves? Will there be enough booze and food for them to live long and healthy life? And what customs will dwarves develop taking into account the undead problem?...

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2014, 03:25:28 am »

I don't want to put pressure on the author but yes... this fortress deserves to continue.  :)
hamster cheese supplies are low

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2014, 11:35:33 pm »

I don't want to put pressure on the author but yes... this fortress deserves to continue.  :)

I agree entirely! I've begun recording the latest chapter, but ran into a snag - the game crashed before I could save at a critical point, and I lost 2/3 of the chapter. It's not a recurring problem, but it is a rather discouraging setback.

But not to worry! Some people have told me that they consider Roomcarnage to be the greatest Dwarf Fortress story ever told. Regardless of whether or not I agree with that assessment, I do believe that the fate of the dwarves of the Momentous Dye ought not to be left untold.

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 08, 2014, 04:11:12 am »

You could make a side-story out of that crashed chapter, if there is something specifically interesting - a zombie outbreak, or an interesting beast, maybe?

The interesting things in this story for me are 1) challenge of the undead, frozen volcano and lack of materials 2) the perfect storytelling (including both the text and the pictures, i especially like the gifs of everyday life), and 3) the thrill of suspence.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »

Hit another snag - upgrading the MacBook I've been using to the latest version of Mac OS X has produced a fatal crash in Dwarf Fortress. I can't start the game up at all, even in Wine. My efforts to find a solution have been fruitless - from what I can tell, this sort of crash has existed in the Mac version for years and has never been addressed. Until I can find a solution, I'll have to record chapters on computers at the university, or something. I'm not in any financial situation to purchase a new machine, at least not for the next few months.

This is not necessarily as big of a setback as it may seem - most of the time I put into Roomcarnage is spent writing, not recording. And there may yet be a solution that I haven't discovered yet. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them out.

Additionally, the next chapter is nearly completed. I expect it to be posted within the next couple days. Thanks for reading!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2014, 03:23:59 pm »

Hit another snag - upgrading the MacBook I've been using to the latest version of Mac OS X has produced a fatal crash in Dwarf Fortress. I can't start the game up at all, even in Wine. My efforts to find a solution have been fruitless - from what I can tell, this sort of crash has existed in the Mac version for years and has never been addressed. Until I can find a solution, I'll have to record chapters on computers at the university, or something. I'm not in any financial situation to purchase a new machine, at least not for the next few months.

Oh dear. Oh deary dear dear.

At least the next chapters nearly finished. Keep it up!

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2014, 11:39:22 pm »

This is not necessarily as big of a setback as it may seem - most of the time I put into Roomcarnage is spent writing, not recording. And there may yet be a solution that I haven't discovered yet. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them out.

If the Mac and Windows-via-wine versions aren't working, maybe give the Linux version a try? I'd download Virtualbox or Parallels and an Ubuntu VM image and see if it'll run there.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2014, 11:58:10 pm »

If the Mac and Windows-via-wine versions aren't working, maybe give the Linux version a try? I'd download Virtualbox or Parallels and an Ubuntu VM image and see if it'll run there.

I'll look into it! My flash drive will serve as a stopgap until I can find a better solution - I have access to other computers, but the save file has grown far too large to safely zip and unzip without corruption, so transfers over the internet aren't safe.

The newest chapter has been posted! Hopefully, the pace will increase, and this monthlong delay will be the exception, not the rule.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44