Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 361825 times)

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 11:07:03 am »

I've just posted chapter 19!

Thanks, I'm really enjoying these!

Incidentally, the reason you're still getting migrants is that you haven't had a liason make it off the map since before you hit the population cap. Last anyone heard of Roomcarnage, migrants were still welcome. Presumably the last liason who DID make it home neglected to mention the whole "zombie-infested freakish hellhole" aspect of the situation.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »

"Roomcarnage, lads!"  The old dwarf waved his rock pot full of prickle berry wine around, sloshing foam to the floor.  "Tha's where ya need to go!  I saw it!  I was there!  It's built in a VOLCANO, surrounded by a bloody glacier, and there's levels and levels and levels of GOOOOLDDD..." 

Urist looked at his wife Mebzul.  She had the same look he felt he probably did, wanting it to be true but wondering if it wasn't just some old drunk's fever dream.  The work here in Twistedropes was grueling, and there didn't seem to be any chance of advancement.  They had been talking about moving on for some time now.

"Well, if we went, it would probably be full of rats, or have no food, or who knows what."  Mebzul's voice was low and sweet, and even after two years of marriage it still made him feel warm deep inside.  "My cousin Medzur was at Steamybellows before the end, and he said..."

"GOLD, I tell ye!  The whole place is full of it!  The dining room was floored and furnished with pure shining blue adamantininininum...."  The crazed old dwarf stared at them, obviously offended that they doubted his word.  "There's TONS of food, with huge underground farms and even more brought every season by the tallboys.... they are practically slaves to the Roomcarnage boys, can't get enough of those stone crafts!  Even the tree-kissers come all the way out to the glaciers to trade with them!  They're a bloody LEGEND!  I was the first liaison in the place, and I tell ye, it's full of GOOOOLD!"  With this final proclamation, the old dwarf passed out facedown on the table, rock pot still clutched tightly in one hand.

Urist looked at Medzul, a question in his eyes.  She shook her head, looking around.  Too many ears... This was not the place.

Later, in their quarters, she said "Well, that old dwarf was pretty emphatic.  Like I said there, Medzur said Steamybellows was full of gold too, and look what happened there."

"I know honey, but..."  Urist had a feeling this time.  This was the right thing to do.  "We will never be able to start a family here."  He sighed.  "Can you imagine raising a child in this place?"

This made a strong impression.  Medzul looked up at him.  Her mouth firmed as she thought.  Finally she said "You're right.  There's nothing here worth staying for.  Let's go to Roomcarnage.  A better life.  Not for us, maybe... but for our children."
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2014, 12:51:44 am »

I've just posted chapter 19!

Thanks, I'm really enjoying these!

Incidentally, the reason you're still getting migrants is that you haven't had a liason make it off the map since before you hit the population cap. Last anyone heard of Roomcarnage, migrants were still welcome. Presumably the last liason who DID make it home neglected to mention the whole "zombie-infested freakish hellhole" aspect of the situation.

Yeah! I didn't know that, but a few people have mentioned it to me after I posted this chapter. Very interesting! I guess all those migrants are screwed.

That's dark, man.

Chapter twenty is up, amidst all the chaos of the new release. Enjoy!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 12:43:13 pm »

Sorry if it was too dark... just figured it was about what the conversations were like to get people to go to such a godsforsaken spot...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 12:45:36 pm »

Sorry if it was too dark... just figured it was about what the conversations were like to get people to go to such a godsforsaken spot...
Too dark? In Dwarf Fortress? Don't be silly.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:12 pm »

You caught my attention at "Freezing Elf Blood raid". I'll go back to continuing reading now, I like where this is going.
I know hindsight's a b****, but you could have just put a (relatively) locked Butchery next to the pit, just to be on the safe side.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »

I hope you enjoy the read! And yeah, it does no good to think of how things might have been. Roomcarnage was always going to be a hellhole.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 02:01:51 pm »

Chapter 21 has been posted!

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »

Chapter 21 has been posted!

Nifty! But...

Four years is as much as any wagon might expect to have in this cruel world. RIP, wagon.

Check those dates again. That wagon was two hundred and four years old.

zenfiero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 05:16:38 pm »

This is enthralling. Found this today and couldn't stop reading. Looking forward to reading and seeing what is to come!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 05:29:56 pm »

Great story, great storytelling. Enjoying it a lot, and looking forward to the next update! (If you don't actually activate the weapon in chapter 22 I'll be very sad.)
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 11:04:09 pm »

Check those dates again. That wagon was two hundred and four years old.

Not exactly 204, but yeah, significantly more than four. Damn! That's an old wagon.

Glad you folks are enjoying the read!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 02:34:53 am »

If the weapon is a success, you must call the next chapter All Burn. Boatmurdered shall forever live on in references!
くコ:彡

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 06:26:15 am »

Burn it! Burn the whole glacier!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 07:05:34 am »

When we will see glacier destroyed?
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44