Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 361273 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #390 on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:25 pm »

This is being done with DF2012, right?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 23, 2015, 07:42:23 pm »

This is being done with DF2012, right?
Believe this is te case, mostly because of the way profiles are written, with few entries, instead of narrating every piece of interesting furniture a dwarf saw.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:12 pm »

Yes indeed, 0.34.11.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 24, 2015, 08:54:50 am »

Wow, a new chapter is already halfway recorded. Is there anything i possibly can help with? I've been waiting way too long for the last chapter and it ended kind of on the most interesting point. I wish i could play DF myself as cool as you can...

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 24, 2015, 01:08:35 pm »

Yeah, this past chapter was a build up to a cliffhanger - that is often how things go in this story, it seems. Fortunately, things should go more quickly in the next couple weeks - I've got a second wind, so to speak, but I don't know how long it will last.

As for helping out, there's nothing anyone else can help with. The next chapter is recorded and I'll begin captioning this evening.

I'm really eager to get as much done before the Fall semester begins. Once school is in session, I will have next to no time to set aside for Roomcarnage.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 26, 2015, 10:37:28 am »

Have you thought about cleansing the lower half of the fortress with magma? That might get rid of the bodies without the dwarves ever seeing them
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 01, 2015, 11:44:44 am »

Also, for those of you who haven't read Weatherwires, I've compiled the story into a single document, which I've posted in the old thread over on the Fortress Mode Discussion board.

... which is much more legible with the edit link, else the text spans the whole page and the images are centered. At 1920x1080, it's not very readable that way. With the editing controls, it constrains it to a page-width. Here's what I mean.

There might be a way for you to force a page width through formatting - unsure.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:46:58 am by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 01, 2015, 09:41:28 pm »

Have you thought about cleansing the lower half of the fortress with magma? That might get rid of the bodies without the dwarves ever seeing them

Magma doesn't kill undead, and in Roomcarnage's reanimating biome doubtlessly all the dwarves lost to the beast have risen.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 02, 2015, 02:32:15 am »

Magma doesn't kill undead, and in Roomcarnage's reanimating biome doubtlessly all the dwarves lost to the beast have risen.
Oh shit. There I was, absolutely certain that they laid on the ground, undisturbed and waiting to be found. I guess it's a good reason never to get back there...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 03, 2015, 09:30:45 am »

Oh shit. There I was, absolutely certain that they laid on the ground, undisturbed and waiting to be found. I guess it's a good reason never to get back there...

It's not out of the question that all of their corpses were mangled by the FB - beasts like that typically don't leave their kills intact. Mangled corpses don't rise again, as I know from experience from experiments with evil biomes, and you can confirm on the wiki.

Fperson1

• Bay Watcher
  • A Distressing Lack of Weaponsmiths
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2015, 02:06:41 pm »

It's not out of the question that all of their corpses were mangled by the FB - beasts like that typically don't leave their kills intact. Mangled corpses don't rise again, as I know from experience from experiments with evil biomes, and you can confirm on the wiki.

Except that Roomcarnage is on DF2012, which does not have the mangled corpse mechanic.
Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Go out there and make those 12 children of yours proud... or I'll draft all of them and send a giant ball of your progeny at the enemy if you die. Fun for the whole family!

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 21, 2015, 09:38:54 am »

bunp

((how's roomcarnage holding up?))
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 21, 2015, 02:22:30 pm »

Pretty well, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the captions for the latest chapter. I got a new job which has been claiming a lot of my focus, but I've been making steady progress on the story.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 27, 2015, 11:36:44 pm »

Pretty well, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the captions for the latest chapter. I got a new job which has been claiming a lot of my focus, but I've been making steady progress on the story.

Congrats on the new job!
hamster cheese supplies are low

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 30, 2015, 07:45:52 pm »

Congrats on the new job!

Thanks!

Chapter 52 is up!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44