Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 361966 times)

Maximum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #540 on: August 20, 2016, 05:13:19 pm »

Ptw

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 28, 2016, 03:46:43 pm »

Chapter 61 has been posted! Quite a bit of time has passed. Given the dwarves' current situation, I expect the next chapter will be similarly prolonged.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

primalucem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cursespoke
« Reply #542 on: August 29, 2016, 09:55:25 am »

Happy 20th anniversary Roomcarnage!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 01, 2016, 04:19:26 am »

Thats a pretty cool idea, manipulating the clothiers into strange moods to get artefact adamantine clothing.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 01, 2016, 05:08:48 am »

While I agree, wouldn't armourers me better?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 01, 2016, 06:12:28 am »

While I agree, wouldn't armourers me better?
I think the idea is that he gets adamantine clothes, which can be worn as well as armor. Remember - adamantine stops basically any slashing attack dead, but is pretty useless against blunt trauma. So he can outfit his best soldiers with copper hard armor to defend against crushing blows (Copper's not great, but it's all he has), as well as an adamantine cloak/cape/tunic/thong that turns away bladed attacks.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 01, 2016, 07:05:34 am »

I see. My knowledge on armour is not up to scratch, so I'll take your word for it.

I should say that I dug the chapter. Roomcarnage is down in the dirt, breathing hard, and waiting for the right moment to try to stand up, one last time.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 03, 2016, 10:43:38 pm »

Worth adding that a single piece of candy cloth is enough to make any article of clothing during a mood, as is a wafer for armor of course, so it's more a question of does DS think they'll encounter many foes swinging better metals than copper, or are slashing and stabbing attacks with teeth and claws and such a bigger fear?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 06, 2016, 02:00:25 am »

Honestly, I'm just trying to keep all my bases covered.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:40 pm »

IAmTheMadLord

• Bay Watcher
  • I sure do love lunchtime and cutting off thumbs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2016, 05:46:30 pm »

"On this post is an image of Dwarves in Adamantine and copper, Foul Fog Zombies, and Zombies. The Dwarves are waiting. The Dwarves are training."

In other thoughts; I find it incredibly fitting that you got an artifact called 'Carnagecold' in a fortress like this, let alone the fact that it's called Roomcarnage.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 01, 2016, 04:18:46 am »

In other thoughts; I find it incredibly fitting that you got an artifact called 'Carnagecold' in a fortress like this, let alone the fact that it's called Roomcarnage.

It is a wonderful coincidence isn't it?

IAmTheMadLord

• Bay Watcher
  • I sure do love lunchtime and cutting off thumbs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 10, 2016, 02:12:23 am »

far over, the foul-foggy mountains cold, to rooms deep, and carnage cold?

In all seriousness, loving the story of roomcarnage. I've come back to reread it every few weeks, and any time I see a new chapter's always great because it gives me an excuse to drop whatever I'm doing to slack off and do more dorf related things.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 10, 2016, 02:40:26 pm »

What are the actual numbers for your FPS at this point? There has to be something you can do to fix it, although the biggest thing would probably be turning on the DFHack cleaning plugin, which would dramatically reduce the threat of foul fog and therefore the tension of the story.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2016, 10:20:47 pm »

far over, the foul-foggy mountains cold, to rooms deep, and carnage cold?

In all seriousness, loving the story of roomcarnage. I've come back to reread it every few weeks, and any time I see a new chapter's always great because it gives me an excuse to drop whatever I'm doing to slack off and do more dorf related things.

Thanks!

What are the actual numbers for your FPS at this point? There has to be something you can do to fix it, although the biggest thing would probably be turning on the DFHack cleaning plugin, which would dramatically reduce the threat of foul fog and therefore the tension of the story.

Yeah, that would be a real tragedy. In Weatherwires, I made (what I feel) was a mistake, in using DFHack to, ah, recruit merchants from the mountainhome, and their guards. I always wondered if that act was the reason why the fortress could never actually crumble to its end, but only crash at the moment of the last dwarf's death. From then on, I decided that if I was going to do a story fortress, I would avoid using intrusive third-party programs.

As for FPS... I just fired up the fortress and checked. When idle, the fortress sits at 12±3 FPS.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44