Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 361136 times)

IAmTheMadLord

• Bay Watcher
  • I sure do love lunchtime and cutting off thumbs.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #555 on: October 13, 2016, 03:36:31 pm »

9-15 fps... wow. I guess when it has to path for so many entities you get things like that.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 15, 2016, 06:30:24 pm »

It could be even lower. The fortress is totally cordoned off from the rest of the map - when (if) a route to the surface is made available, I'm sure the FPS would drop further.

But that's okay for me. I feel like the Architect from the Matrix. "There are levels of FPS we are prepared to accept."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:33:20 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 24, 2016, 03:12:12 pm »

Been reading for a while, but never got around to PTWing. So PTW.

kaysic

• Escaped Lunatic
  • That One Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 24, 2016, 05:26:16 am »

The story of Roomcarnage is 50% of what finally pushed me to climb the difficulty cliff and play DF. I await the story of the fortress' demise with great anticipation.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #559 on: December 25, 2016, 07:38:47 am »

What are the actual numbers for your FPS at this point? There has to be something you can do to fix it, although the biggest thing would probably be turning on the DFHack cleaning plugin, which would dramatically reduce the threat of foul fog and therefore the tension of the story.

Yeah, that would be a real tragedy. In Weatherwires, I made (what I feel) was a mistake, in using DFHack to, ah, recruit merchants from the mountainhome, and their guards. I always wondered if that act was the reason why the fortress could never actually crumble to its end, but only crash at the moment of the last dwarf's death. From then on, I decided that if I was going to do a story fortress, I would avoid using intrusive third-party programs.

As for FPS... I just fired up the fortress and checked. When idle, the fortress sits at 12±3 FPS.
[/quote]

Weatherwires was always amazing to look at in game. Speaking of which, I could probably open up DF 31.25 and try to fix the bug. The problem is likely due to historical entity tags being mismatched which is fixable if somewhat tedious to do.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 01, 2017, 06:56:28 pm »

So! Due to some funky stuff going on with the site's code (as far as I can tell) I am unable to update the table of contents. But the new chapter is complete! Here it is.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 01, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »

Weatherwires was always amazing to look at in game. Speaking of which, I could probably open up DF 31.25 and try to fix the bug. The problem is likely due to historical entity tags being mismatched which is fixable if somewhat tedious to do.

Just saw this. I wish I could - I don't have the original game files, just a few adventurer saves. They're available on the DFFD, the link is in the Weatherwires thread.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #562 on: January 01, 2017, 10:28:43 pm »

Just saw this. I wish I could - I don't have the original game files, just a few adventurer saves. They're available on the DFFD, the link is in the Weatherwires thread.

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can make magic happen. I might also have one of the older Weatherwire saves; I remember exploring it before and dealing with the fact the magma dome crashed the world if flooded too much.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 02, 2017, 12:23:30 am »

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can make magic happen. I might also have one of the older Weatherwire saves; I remember exploring it before and dealing with the fact the magma dome crashed the world if flooded too much.

It did, many times, during the story. I would turn off all alerts, and leave the game running while I was out during the day. Sometimes, I came back and time had passed - not a lot, maybe a few months depending on how much magma was flowing around. Sometimes, I came back to a crash. Those pumps were fickle.

Silverybearded

• Bay Watcher
  • Midor Belnekol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 04, 2017, 02:40:37 am »

Stukos was angry. All his life he had been made fun of for being too weak. "Completely useless", they said, "what are we gonna make of you`A loomer?" and "When you're an undead, we'll feed you to the puppies!"
And, as the crown of all insults, he had been appointed as hammerer. A hammerer! As if the overseer wanted insufficient justice to be dealt.
Well, they're not laughing after this!, he thought as he admired the spear, forged of the holiest of metals. Nobody makes fun of a naked madman!
Engraved is a superior rendition of an image of Arkoth, the local deity of balance and speech, and two elves. Arkoth is burning the two elves. Arkoth is laughing. The two elves are suffering. The image was commissioned by the Round Guild, a local dwarven government.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #565 on: January 04, 2017, 08:38:27 pm »

Absolutely love this story.

Urist McArtist gets a secretive mood...

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 10, 2017, 09:02:05 pm »

This is awesome.
But you're so mean to Rith...
she never asked for this

EDIT: Also, Small island with high volcanism, and low temperature.
Iceland?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:03:43 pm by 5crownik007 »
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 13, 2017, 01:14:41 pm »

This thread's 'low' pagecount belies the size of it's enthralling - dare I say, husking? - story.

Well, it has been a fun read - nobody else that I know of has narrated their DF story through gifs to such an extent; even when game is paused.

I am bit sceptical of the defensive properties of the metal cloth due clothing being soft, but we will see - if it works, robes, coats and dresses and cloaks have higher odds than mail shirts when it comes to weavers versus armorsmiths.  Have you tried it previously?

Well, even if you haven't, it is pretty unique to my knowledge - surely, someone else has tried to find this out, but nonetheless...

Also, small note for chapter 55 - the cascaded captain of the guard who didn't bat an eyelash towards slaying of dwarves didn't earn their name through slaying their comrades - no, Obok Workerringed the Order of Skies had that name beforehand, as is visible in ch.54. Though surprised that he could go through two squads of unnerfed crossbows.

For the caravan, depending on the cause a fix may be possible - see A (kludgey) workaround for the disappearing caravan bug. Though, as this is DF2012, I have no idea how much it applies.

Nor am I certain for the best weapons - short swords were disparaged earlier due their multiple pieces, but maces don't pulp here and only decapitation seems to work on foul fog ...zombies? Or is the proper word citizens.

Oh yeah, one more thing - with but Adil as instructor, I'm surprised that you don't go for series of train 2 minimums to encourage sparring - does this not apply in DF2012?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:11 am »

This is awesome.
But you're so mean to Rith...
she never asked for this

Why shouldn't I be mean towards a creature that would consume the blood of my entire fortress if she had the chance?

This thread's 'low' pagecount belies the size of it's enthralling - dare I say, husking? - story.

Well, it has been a fun read - nobody else that I know of has narrated their DF story through gifs to such an extent; even when game is paused.

I am bit sceptical of the defensive properties of the metal cloth due clothing being soft, but we will see - if it works, robes, coats and dresses and cloaks have higher odds than mail shirts when it comes to weavers versus armorsmiths.  Have you tried it previously?

Well, even if you haven't, it is pretty unique to my knowledge - surely, someone else has tried to find this out, but nonetheless...

Also, small note for chapter 55 - the cascaded captain of the guard who didn't bat an eyelash towards slaying of dwarves didn't earn their name through slaying their comrades - no, Obok Workerringed the Order of Skies had that name beforehand, as is visible in ch.54. Though surprised that he could go through two squads of unnerfed crossbows.

For the caravan, depending on the cause a fix may be possible - see A (kludgey) workaround for the disappearing caravan bug. Though, as this is DF2012, I have no idea how much it applies.

Nor am I certain for the best weapons - short swords were disparaged earlier due their multiple pieces, but maces don't pulp here and only decapitation seems to work on foul fog ...zombies? Or is the proper word citizens.

Oh yeah, one more thing - with but Adil as instructor, I'm surprised that you don't go for series of train 2 minimums to encourage sparring - does this not apply in DF2012?

I appreciate the kind words. To my knowledge, Roomcarnage will be the most comprehensive Dwarf Fortress story, in terms of material covered and degree of focus. Gifs are a wonderful medium.

From what I understand, metal cloth converts edged attacks to blunt damage, so it's not a complete deflection. This is the first time I've tried this manner of producing artifacts.

Ah, interesting note. I think I'll leave it as it is, maybe I'll change it when I go back and compile the story.

I'm a big fan of bugs influencing the story... it's more fun that way. Besides, I tried to avert certain situations in Weatherwires by using 3rd party utilities, and I regretted it in the end. I'll leave it as it is.

Regarding "best" weapons... I'm beyond that at this point, I think. The weapons the dwarves have are the ones they will grip in their fists as their last breaths leave their bodies.

As for military training, I'm not too concerned - the military is not as consistent as it is in later versions, I think, and with time on my side, it doesn't really matter how I set up the scheduling, so long as the squads are active.

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #569 on: January 31, 2017, 04:20:34 pm »

@DS - I really like the way you told the story of Roomcarnage. The gifs really added to the immersion IMO. Combined with your explanations of why you did stuff, I'd put Roomcarnage on Boatmurdered levels of awesomeness. A large part of that is because of the fact that you seem to know what you're doing. Unlike other fortresses, which tend to do stupid things for the sake of challenge, you have absolutely zero objections against using whatever tools are available for you, no matter how stupidly powerful it is. It makes the story come across as more... genuine, because what goes wrong in the fort seems to show how difficult DF can be, and it shows that you are very competent at fortress managment (or at least better than I am). I really like it.

Are you planning to do a similar kind of thing in the future with other fortresses? Because it's not just that which I mentioned in the previous paragraph. It's everything. Your storytelling method, the GIFs, etc. I really really like it.
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44