Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 358860 times)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #570 on: February 05, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »

Yeah, I also hope DS will start new DF story in newest version aften Roomcarnage's inevitable conclusion.

For some reason, I really like his way of treating DF's quirks, bugs and whatnot as something unbelievably sinister.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2017, 08:14:15 pm »

Are you planning to do a similar kind of thing in the future with other fortresses? Because it's not just that which I mentioned in the previous paragraph. It's everything. Your storytelling method, the GIFs, etc. I really really like it.

Thanks for the kind words - I won't rule out the possibility of doing another fortress story after Roomcarnage.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 07, 2017, 09:22:58 pm »

Thanks for the kind words - I won't rule out the possibility of doing another fortress story after Roomcarnage.
Just throwing this out there; I would love to see your skill applied against epic Sieges.  Set the invader cap to something insane like 1,000 soldiers & 500 critters.  Throw in a high number of beasts & small history (~250 years) for good measure.

FridayBiology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 08, 2017, 10:47:23 am »

I'm just a newbie and quite agreed with demanding a short history, high beast, standard siege story.

Would you consider visiting the fortress in adventure mode once the story has ended as an outsider looking in to a known fortress/ruin

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 08, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »

Would you consider visiting the fortress in adventure mode once the story has ended as an outsider looking in to a known fortress/ruin

I've considered it, and am leaving the option open - I may, in the end, leave visiting the fortress to the community.

As for sieges, that sounds like a fun idea. I had a thought a while back, to start a trapless fortress  defended by a sect of monks that eschew all arms and armor, except for staves... again, we'll see. Right now, I'm just focusing on finishing Roomcarnage.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 26, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »

Just so you know DS, as far as I can tell Imgur has completely dropped support for the Horizontal layout. "(link)/layout/horizontal" no longer does anything special, it just displays the normal vertical layout.

Just figured someone should let you know, since I was checking back on Bay12 and saw you still had the Horizontal links up.  :)

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 27, 2017, 04:24:30 pm »

I did notice that.

Other things imgur has recently dropped - the ability to order an album based on the original filenames. Seems inoccuous, but it adds some additional steps to my process that are really grueling.

I think the time has come to find a more permanent home for The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage. It's only a matter of time before imgur does something that will really foul up the story - or irrevocably obliterate it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. Is there anyone with tech/web design experience that would be willing to help me through the process?

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 24, 2017, 09:21:27 am »

I did notice that.

Other things imgur has recently dropped - the ability to order an album based on the original filenames. Seems inoccuous, but it adds some additional steps to my process that are really grueling.

I think the time has come to find a more permanent home for The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage. It's only a matter of time before imgur does something that will really foul up the story - or irrevocably obliterate it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. Is there anyone with tech/web design experience that would be willing to help me through the process?

I have a bit of knowledge about those things and would be willing to advise, but like many I am also extremely busy and wouldn't be able to take a very active role.

Answering technical questions, however, would be a way that I'd like to help.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:06 pm »

Alright! Chapter 63 is up, and I've modified the original post to reflect the new chapters and the loss of imgur's horizontal vs. vertical layout.

I have a bit of knowledge about those things and would be willing to advise, but like many I am also extremely busy and wouldn't be able to take a very active role.

Answering technical questions, however, would be a way that I'd like to help.

Thank you for your support! I'll certainly let you know if I have any questions.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 30, 2017, 02:15:29 am »

Prominent Historian:
Roomcarnage, in its final years, enjoyed a golden age of culture with no one to care.

Thanks for the update, DS. How long do you plan to train these dwarves?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 30, 2017, 11:47:04 am »

As long as it takes.

...actually, I'm not sure. I'll probably decide when I get there.

timvisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 08, 2017, 08:07:37 am »

I'd be happy to help convert the imgur posts into a series hosted either on github or maybe s3. There'd be no good reason it couldn't be and it'd be nice for roomcarnage to have its own place on the web. Sadly imgur appears to be somewhat difficult to scrape. Do you have the original source material?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 07, 2017, 12:34:59 pm »

I don't know how readable this is, nor how long till DS sees it - 'tis bit of a necro, and I apologize for disrupting it, but the time taken would fit a reply that hopefully encourages them.

---------

Coming back to read it, the dark opening contrasts harshly with 139 dwarves. So much dwarfpower, yet so hopeless?

I still recall the loyalty cascade, but it is a dim memory, seemingly irrelevant with that crew.

- - - - - -

I, too, am fond of alternating training schedules.

Though in your dining hall, you might consider track/ramps instead of stairs to ascend/descend, as to avoid black background colour. (Can't really do much about tables and chairs beyond hiding, however.)

- - - - - -

When running for prolonged duration/speed, I turn off pausing for uninvited guests. If they can't reach me, they're not worth wasting time dwarves could train in for. Even if the training is almost pointless if it is not used on hostiles.

- - - - - -

Werecreatures are outcasts, but a visitor who would leave the map would normally go visit other sites. But syndrome weapons are not tracked. Maybe being opposed to life is? I don't know.

- - - - - -

Now, the adamantine chests might have been placed in library, were this fort in 42.06 or later. I know I consider that chest perhaps the most important one in my fortresses.

Also interesting that an adamantine bag is a chest. Makes sense, I suppose.

- - - - - -

The hill titan isn't living, merely a brightly shining gem in winter wonderland. I find it little odd that it combats the undead, for Bloodyhells has an inorganic FB wander the corpse-laden surface.

But, then again, husks aren't really risen dead, right? Otherwise they wouldn't count as original kill.
Husked people are still there, deep down.
A predicament worse than death and reanimation.

It can only spray webs in 1 direction, so being surrounded is not good for it. Might it be that it'd cleanse the world?

Then again, well-positioned webber could cleanse the fortress of life.

...Ah well. To slice something off, one must do a slash wider than the target. That's some bite.

Maybe Gongith killed Thob Shetběthuzol.

- - - - - - -

Even as dogs put down crazy or cascaded or dead dwarves, some would have put them down as their old age hit.

Perhaps, once upon a time, you desired to run a meat industry, with old animals being reanimated and butchered anew.

Now, that workshop is abandoned.

......I spoke too soon, I guess. Bye bye puppers.

- - - - - - -

While bonecarving moods can create truly nice things, mug/cup is my favourite option for the other two. 
At least it can be used to drink. Though who was Nish Wordywork?

But yes. Routine is right. The less attention given...The interesting it is. Fortunately for us, the creation of new things outpaces our hunger.

- - - - - - -

Hm. I think you know about it, but JSYK you might have merchants be stuck off-map - dissmissmerchants or summoning them may fix it.

But artifacts should be tracked. They should be found at the square kea escaped to, if one were to look. Can't say what's the case for kobolds is.

Still, it is a poetic haul - one worth more than everything else the kobolds have, put together. Alas, [UTTERANCES] tell no tales.

Though I believe them to be still outside, for doors don't say "taken by invader".

- - - - - - - -

Hm, that headscarf has 3 cases of adamantine on it - being made of it, and then two decorations. Neat. Unexpected.

- - - - - - - -

Oh boy. Dragon on a glacier. Will it self-encase?

The natural ice...it is is beautiful to see it painted. I'm fond of serene black sand deserts, for they are like stars on night canopy, but here the rainfall doesn't look so pretty.

Also, hahaha on being even more inhospitable. You can burn away while you freeze to death and are husked due being beset by zombie apocalypse.

The Ice of Ghosts is mean.

Though I'm surprised the restless dead could seriously injure an axedwarf in a moment.

- - - - - - - -

Okay, I didn't expect Rith Craftportent to make a return. Not bloodsucking, but ain't that is a blast from the past.

Part of me would wish to keep him around, even though ghosts have been quite hazardous before in this fortress sealed with only doors at times.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 28, 2017, 08:01:10 pm »

I'd be happy to help convert the imgur posts into a series hosted either on github or maybe s3. There'd be no good reason it couldn't be and it'd be nice for roomcarnage to have its own place on the web. Sadly imgur appears to be somewhat difficult to scrape. Do you have the original source material?

A generous offer! Please let me know if it still stands, after two and a half months - I really ought to check this thread more often.

I don't know how readable this is, nor how long till DS sees it - 'tis bit of a necro, and I apologize for disrupting it, but the time taken would fit a reply that hopefully encourages them.

---------

I'll attempt to address and clarify some of your more salient points.

Yes, 'tis the curse of Roomcarnage at this point. The moderately-sized population doesn't do me much good, if there are no outward goals left for the dwarves to pursue.

Regarding using ramps instead of stairs, it's an interesting point - to some degree I do value such aesthetics. In Weatherwires, I constructed eight different guildhalls, using a different color of wood to produce chairs, tables, and beds for each. It was a ponderous effort, much like everything else I attempted in Weatherwires - in many ways, that fortress is a relic of my more manic, obsessive youth.

All that is besides the point, of course - the black tile backgrounds don't really bother me. The pursuit of perfection, in design and process, no longer interests me.

Turning off announcements for uninvited guests is a great recommendation. However, looking back, there are a couple visitors who I am glad to have noticed - although, you are right, they don't really have any way of affecting the fortress at this point. Or so you would think.

When it comes to the possibility of werecreatures tracking foul fog to other places - or, indeed, any events that take place outside of the fortress - I am mostly being poetic. In this version of DF, very little occurs outside of the fortress that is actively running.

Without spoiling too much of the next chapter, I can say that the lack of dogs is not a great worry. The fortress now has a large, capable, well-equipped military, and rising undead have been put down without much trouble, except for a few instances where I doubt dogs would have helped.

I suspect you are right, that some ridiculous bug has prevented the merchants from arriving. As I mentioned before, lands and sites outside the fortress go largely untracked and unresolved, meaning the problem with the merchants must have arisen from within. Perhaps the number of merchant deaths reached a threshold, preventing any further arrivals. Perhaps they are trapped in limbo at the edge of the map.

It doesn't make much difference, to be honest. In Weatherwires, I used third party utilities, including dfhack, to manipulate merchants into joining the fortress. It was a decision I later regretted, and I swore that, in all future stories, I would endeavor to write stories about the vanilla DF experience. So, this is the fate of the Momentous Dye.

And... yes. Rith Craftportent. I expected to see her* again at some point, to be honest. You'll find out what happens to her in the next chapter.

So! Obviously it has been some time since the last chapter was published, back in late March. You might think that the intervening four months or so have been spent avoiding the game - or that I recorded the chapter, and it has been languishing on imgur while I put off writing captions.

Both of these possibilities, while certainly having a precedent in earlier chapters, are false.

I have been recording the chapter, averaging several hours a week, for the last four months. Some weeks I wasn't able to play at all. Other weeks, I had Roomcarnage running for 8 hours every day. I just finished recording the chapter a few days ago, and am now in the process of writing captions.

Take from that what you will.

- DS

timvisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:27 am »

The offer absolutely still stands. I've had my own business but I'm fairly certain if I had the source material for this I could produce something quite pleasing hosted for free on github.

Otherwise it's still in my personal backlog to figure out how to scrape imgur. :)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44