Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 358854 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #645 on: February 17, 2023, 03:11:47 pm »

When you get to it, I'd really recommend writing something to generate the HTML pages from the available data. Here's a skeleton script using Imgur's API and Python, and an example of its results. Though this example case the images are included using direct links to the ones on Imgur, so it's a shoddy mirror. Feel free to use it if you want to, of course :).

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 21, 2023, 12:54:49 am »

Wow, thank you! That's very kind of you, and I'm sure this will be very helpful - even if I don't completely understand everything that's going on just yet, heh.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 15, 2023, 12:54:14 pm »

I am once again channeling my inner Rita Repulsa and dramatically emerging from darkness and obscurity (actually a dumpster) with tidings of evil.

First, the excellent news: I am (finally! finally!) managing to cobble together a website - a permanent online home for Roomcarnage. It's far from done - only the first five chapters are available as I write this - but the styling is basically complete, I think, and I have a minimal understanding of html now, and these have been the biggest hurdles in all in this.

For now, it can be found at udibvucar.github.io(obsolete version - see below). If you want to follow along, give feedback, offer (friendly) critique - please do so! I'm very new to this, and I'm sure it shows.

I finished recording chapter 71 a week ago, but I haven't written the captions yet. In the past, I've done that part of the project after I've uploaded the .gifs to imgur, and I arrange and edit as I go. Now, I'll get to do that on my own website, in html. I'll continue to post updates here (and on reddit) when a new chapter is completed.

There was a pretty discouraging snag earlier this year - I nearly despaired - when Roomcarnage hit a recurring crash every time I loaded up the save file, no matter how many times I tried to get around it. In the end, I had to use this tool to make DF 'large address aware,' which to my understanding means that I gave the program another pair of arms to hold the ~1500 undead that now call Roomcarnage home. What a relief.

Finally, massive thanks to voliol, without whose help the story of Roomcarnage might have perished on imgur, and would not have the home it does now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 10:16:28 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 16, 2023, 07:57:46 am »

Congrats for the website!

Looking forward to see the next chapter of the story.

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 01, 2023, 09:32:55 am »

Hooray for the new website and for saving the fort with the RAM tool! I'm so glad you didn't lose Roomcarnage after all this time to a RAM issue rather than the fate it deserves--whatever that may be.

Definitely going to check out your site and send you some notes if I find anything that catches my eye setup wise.

EDIT: My primary suggestion is to look into writing alt text for your images, and learning how to write good alt text. This is vital in case someone has a slow internet connection or uses a screen reader. I am a user design professional IRL and I focus on accessibility features, so this was something I was primed to notice. You can totally get by without this, it'll just add ease of use for the long-term.

Overall, the site is straightforward, well laid out, and easy to navigate. Quite frankly, I find your text easier to read than the Imgur version because of your choices (tan background, black serif text as opposed to imgur's black background with white sans-serif text).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 09:39:56 am by MaiseNow »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 01, 2023, 06:34:35 pm »

In the early winter of 2023, Rith Craftportent created the position of webmaster as a matter of course.
        In the early winter of 2023, DS was appointed to the position of webmaster of the Momentous Dye.

It is done! The construction portion, at least - deployment is a work in progress, pending domain transfer. The version reachable by the link above is a snapshot of how the website looked about a week ago, when github stopped serving up new additions to the repository - frankly, I'm surprised I was able to get as far as I was.

Anyway, I expect it to go live sometime next week.

Congrats for the website!

Looking forward to see the next chapter of the story.

Hey, thanks! You and me both!

Hooray for the new website and for saving the fort with the RAM tool! I'm so glad you didn't lose Roomcarnage after all this time to a RAM issue rather than the fate it deserves--whatever that may be.

No kidding! I didn't say it earlier, but I started hitting that crash in earnest in March, and didn't find the tool until October. I had very nearly thrown in the towel! - and had basically resigned myself to shelving the story until I was able to purchase a superior computer. I actually began work on another story entirely! One day, by chance, I was reading about DF and technical specifications (again, in preparation for that holy grail DF machine), when I happened up on that thread - by chance! I'm still a little bamboozled by the whole episode.

Quote from: MaiseNow
EDIT: My primary suggestion is to look into writing alt text for your images, and learning how to write good alt text.

I intend to! When I began working on the website, I very earnestly attempted to do the former, and quickly learned that I had better first do the latter. I have many questions - writing alt text for DF screenshots poses many unusual challenges! But I'm excited for the work that is set out before me. Thank you for the feedback!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 10:00:19 pm by DS »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 14, 2023, 12:29:36 am »

And here it is! - www.roomcarnage.com

As always, please feel free to comment or PM me with your feedback or criticism.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 17, 2023, 08:56:43 am »

Aha! Chapter 71 has been posted. You can find it here.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #653 on: December 18, 2023, 04:42:02 am »

Thrilling! I have never made it as far as the depths of hell myself (the initial wave always overwhelms my poor dwarves) and this is an incredible way of discovering it. I wonder what lies at the top of the citadel?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]