Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 358879 times)

ur2048

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #585 on: November 15, 2017, 01:47:57 am »

Hey, can I have the map seed so I can try adventure mode?
It would be a great accomplishment if I could make it through to the castle alive, unlike all the migrants and caravans before.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 26, 2017, 12:53:10 am »

Hey, can I have the map seed so I can try adventure mode?
It would be a great accomplishment if I could make it through to the castle alive, unlike all the migrants and caravans before.

I have every intention of releasing the map - once the story is finished. A drag, I know, but I have my reasons.

Chapter 64 is up!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 26, 2017, 08:31:42 am »

Woh woh woh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel like you perhaps glossed over a crucial detail at some point, lol

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 26, 2017, 11:56:46 am »

Indeed...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 26, 2017, 03:19:43 pm »

If it gets defeated actually hauling the body to the incineration chute seems like a more insurmountable task.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 28, 2017, 07:54:15 am »

At some point, you have constructed all you wanted, desired, planned...

And all that remains is to run the game idle, inching towards some  distant goal.

It is not so distant, given that, truly.

Yet...

Ah.

It's all ones and zeros.

It's ones and zeros all the way down.

Rift Craftportnet.

Maybe her election was driven by the fact,  by the desperate hope that no dwarf inside could fix their situation?

Well, I know that is unlikely. Nonetheless.

Wait.

Are you thinking of a slade slab for Adil Crushedgild?

That's ...rather heavy with symbolism of his horrific meaning and carry weight.

Though, I partially expected you to try for a metal slab. But no, that is not possible. Rock it has to be.

Three?

One for the mayor. One for foul fog diagnoser. One for...who?

Ah. ⛭slab⛭

Crushed by a drawbridge in the year 1211, indeed.  And what a magnificent crushing it was, far beyond the usual. *clap*

And now it is 1233...

It feels like it was yesterday. And the less said about that the better.

But I did not expect "slayer of goblins". I imagine this can only mean "in their sleep".

Of course, I too found making them pass conflicting.

The engraving of dwarves refusing her? It's...

Well, now you know where to build the slab.

A chausse? I think that's the best cloth covering item for legs. Not bad, as far as adamantine cloth artifacts go, not bad at all.

Not spectacular, when you already have four dozen artifacts, but still.

The toga and casket, not so good. The thong and mitten are more like it.

What was the personality of the creator of Tipdissolves like? I'm suddenly wondering if certain types of dwarves are more likely to decorate artifacts with images.

And the wearer of TIpdissolves....I wonder, where did he come from, that he details feather trees on his quern.

As for Leadwatchful the adamantine mask, is that cloth or metal? Prevents helm in any case, sadly.

And...hey. Stutus Luridclobber on The Cloudy Family is...not the one outside? Aw.

Killerfrenzies ye sheep wool cloak is most significant for meaning end of adamantine. What now, mine more? But...Is it worth it, when so many artifacts already collect dust?

A colossus?

Over three decades in, and still a megabeast deigns to visit.

Well.

They're not living.

But they're also not corruted by foul fog.

If one could capture them...But no. It feels somehow unfitting for dwarves of momentous dye to use others to earn their victories.

I'm a bit surprised by the fights, truth to be told. Kobolds may have been enemies in life, ok. But Minotaur?

I thought the inorganic nature may prevent this, but guess not.

Did 40.24 not have pulping? I recall its undead were famed as particularly tough, not very reanimating like 34.11 ones.

It'd be just terrible if that dogpile had cavein fall on it, right? Or is that terrific.

None will come, of course.

I'm not always sure of the value of run-of-the-mill engravings. Tracks and picked beasts can draw symbols and text. The room value boost from them itself seems rather fleeting, however....

But you wouldn't have found out the fort symbol without that, so it definitely has sentimental value.

Yeah. My favourite decoration on artifact is definitely an image.

But...Ah. The events of Roomcarnage.

Living, growing up in a place like that....Brr. The halls are grand, the booze runs free...But you're trapped, sections are lost and your station rarely improves.

No worry about food and drink, but life definitely is far from perfect. Stifling, even. Can't accomplish anything, can't build a great wonder, can't...It drives Feb so mad to as to attack everything.

Though, ah, I think 50 soldiers is bit of an overkill for 1 child.

Perhaps a hammerdwarf would have been better for this particular enemy if rather useless for the final fight. Does the Momentous Dye have any?

Perhas the greatest surprise is the axe being not named and made of copper.

Or maybe it is the second greatest one, after Feb's murderous ghost.

Though the slab problem is...A good one to have, I think.

I thought Inod may have been the victim, for a bit - but no.

Nonetheless, she was disturbingly successful. Several squads definitely weren't an excess for her. I'm definitely using that "Job item misplaced" as an euphenism again.

The teeth remained on the floor, though. I wonder if they cause any unhappiness for viewers.

To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that you don't have mooding item stocks stockpile group. Not that it'd help any with shells or the like, but it'd be neat to know at start you're going to have a mad dwarf on your hands.

So many troubles you have spring from them, after all.

It is unfortunate for Lorbam, but the alternate attitude may have been a morale penalty for everyone.

And...10 dwarves flashing red. It really underlines how Roomcarnage is not a happy place/version combo.

The new mayor is not a great option. Waterskins are hard to make in Roomcarnage, and actual flasks are heavy.

Though, how much are the caverns an option for leather?

There's FB, magma and undead problems down there. Nonetheless, they seem like only option.

Oh hello Cometvale.

"I'm sorry, what? But we don't have any most dangerous Rocs possible in DF."

"Well...Now we do. See, right in the middle of memorial hall."

Allow me to say "what the flying fuck are you doing here, Cometvale"?

It's a rhetorical question, because the answer is  obvious.

But still, 2 megabeasts in one update. Remarkable.

I wonder if you didn't get the announcement because, like the kobolds, the Roc too was already gone by the time they entered the map.

Regardless.

A flying fuck-you from the Ice of Ghosts. There is no "safe from doom in this place".

But hey, maybe you have a source of leather. Many megabeasts are best butchered on the spot, due their enormous weight.
I doubt it, but it's an optimistic outlook towards the monster. Maybe very optimistic, given the last time a foul fog enemy got in touch with some of Roomcarnage's finest.

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 11, 2018, 10:35:04 am »

I want this to be a netflix series.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 15, 2018, 11:49:49 pm »

Chapter 65 has been posted!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 16, 2018, 01:22:20 am »

Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:21 pm »

The whispers of the Ice of Ghosts take their toll.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 24, 2018, 05:21:35 pm »

For Roomcarnage, Roc foul fog zombie is pretty much only one capable of penetrating into the sanctum, barring a flying titan. A dragon could melt the ice, but a dragon couldn't fly in, now?

A decades-long brawl between smart beings would impart quite the fearsome skills. Any smart beings brawlin'?

Even for non-smart, it still provides combat stat boosts.

I recall the fight for map edge space. Being on the edge of death is where one feels alive, no?
(The foul fog dwarves, and the corpses of ranged squad might disagree.)

...Not engaging? You're pretty cautious. Certainly, the farmer is lost, and the noble has poor chances as well, when a single touch is one more foul fog zombie. But it makes the axelords feel somewhat pointless, to not dare to touch the big lump of poisoned meat.

It occurs to me that there was a moment where you could have temporarily trapped the Roc in mayoral suite with but the initial sacrifice. But that moment was brief indeed. Losing an adamantine axe smarts, though.

For well, I don't know the local geography - but can't help but wonder whether you could not seal it with a cave-in.

If I recall correctly, legs shouldn't reanimate, lacking GRASP, so it is fortunate that arm wasn't torn off...(Ah, Edėm Herobell lost an arm later...And so did Sigun). Though disposal and slabbing is still more fps-efficient long-term.

Ah, Meng Exitvessels. I guess I have been underestimating the effects of children harvesting. A competent grower, and how long did he get to harvest? It's not much, though.

Goden's death....It reminds me of the problems Staalo encountered with his 0-point haunted desert embark. At some point, dwarves ...just stood there. I hope Roomcarnage will not fall to apathy.

Metal crafting...I wouldn't mind the crafts, if they only could create an artifact minecart.

Alas, they are unable. Shame.

Litast...Do you still have stock of bones?
(Not that it matters, with lack of yarn.)
{I later see with Mosus you have not. Roomcarnage is long done with butchering the pets, but I wasn't sure about their remains.}

Perhaps the fate of Meng was, in a way, better. For they got memoralized and came to rest in magma.

For Goden, I can't help but blame the one..two..seven! ghosts floating around the dining hall. More than once I've read tales of sealed forts coming undone by the machinations of spirits. Maybe Sodel could have been saved. But then again, how many lie unmemorialized? Far too many.

For the werezebra, I can't help but wonder - who discovered them? Was it perhaps long-lost Tun? Or mayhaps once of the unfortunate migrants?

Were it not for these, who knows how many zebras would lurk on the map. Let me know if they leave once full moon runs out?

A week should be enough to dump a corpse, but ...Are the dwarves refusing to dump them, now, like they refused to bring Goden to hospital earlier? Being in dining hall, nobody would have touched the corpse.

....I had completely forgotten about Inira Diamondjade. Perhaps my mocking of dragons at the start of this post was ill-timed. Clearly, this one has taken levels in ninja.

Fortunately, unlike an adamantine door, dog bone door will not melt in dragonfire. Even if demons might have been thematically better sealed by the former, it is the latter that can hold back a Dragon from the depths of earth.

I wonder, whence might an adoption occur? Are there any conditions for the dwarf in particular? One child may be lost, but maybe the kitten could be of use one day....

I know not whence the end comes, or whether the fort will fall to tantrums or deepest dwellers. It is this that adds a bit of tension, even as ghosts wear down The Momentous Dyes dwarf by dwarf. But I fear it not, for I know in your work it will be something to witness. Once again, quite a lengthy update, covering more than three years. Thanks for sharing with us the grim and silent atmosphere of Roomcarnage once more!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 30, 2018, 02:07:57 am »

A decades-long brawl between smart beings would impart quite the fearsome skills. Any smart beings brawlin'?

Even for non-smart, it still provides combat stat boosts.

I assume foul fog zombies retain some kind of intelligence, I have no idea if husks are able to gain combat stat boosts.

Goden's death....It reminds me of the problems Staalo encountered with his 0-point haunted desert embark. At some point, dwarves ...just stood there. I hope Roomcarnage will not fall to apathy.

The chapter I'm currently recording addresses this directly. Or at least, I hope it will.

Metal crafting...I wouldn't mind the crafts, if they only could create an artifact minecart.

Hmm. I have not utilized minecarts at all in Roomcarnage, it is true. Not much point in doing so, at this time.

For Goden, I can't help but blame the one..two..seven! ghosts floating around the dining hall. More than once I've read tales of sealed forts coming undone by the machinations of spirits. Maybe Sodel could have been saved. But then again, how many lie unmemorialized? Far too many.

Approximately 40 ghosts roam the fortress at any given point in time. These ghosts do not appear on the list of beings who may be memorialized, and their shambling corpses lie out of reach - or at least further than I am willing to stretch.

For the werezebra, I can't help but wonder - who discovered them? Was it perhaps long-lost Tun? Or mayhaps once of the unfortunate migrants?

Were it not for these, who knows how many zebras would lurk on the map. Let me know if they leave once full moon runs out?

Werecreatures tend to flee the map as soon as they return to their humanoid form. If they become foul fog zombies in the meantime, they presumably spread the contagion to other parts of the world.

A week should be enough to dump a corpse, but ...Are the dwarves refusing to dump them, now, like they refused to bring Goden to hospital earlier? Being in dining hall, nobody would have touched the corpse.

Nothing so crass, with nearly the entire fortress engaged in military training, even off-duty dwarves have an inconvenient tendency to forgo hauling jobs for individual combat drills.

I know not whence the end comes, or whether the fort will fall to tantrums or deepest dwellers. It is this that adds a bit of tension, even as ghosts wear down The Momentous Dyes dwarf by dwarf. But I fear it not, for I know in your work it will be something to witness. Once again, quite a lengthy update, covering more than three years. Thanks for sharing with us the grim and silent atmosphere of Roomcarnage once more!

Always a pleasure.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 02, 2018, 11:09:01 pm »

Welp, I made a dumb mistake last night while uploading the images for the new chapter, and deleted the last third of chapter 65, as well as the title card. As it turns out, imgur is not the safest option for hosting this tale, just the most convenient.

I still have the .gifs, but the captions have been lost. I could theoretically re-upload the deleted images and write new captions, but for now I have added a new "final" image with a brief explanation. I may decide to allow this small portion of the story to be "lost to time." We shall see.

In the meantime, I am looking at other options for hosting the images. Ultimately the best choice would be to host them on my own website, I think.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 03, 2018, 01:27:44 am »

For something like this, you need version control, as that page isn't on waybackmachine. I suppose there's wiki for that?

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 08, 2018, 12:24:04 pm »

PTW
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44