Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 358877 times)

Ranalcus

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Model Kit Builder
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #600 on: November 09, 2018, 02:16:48 am »

Also FTW
Mountainhome Stong!
Remove Tree-Fondling-Hippies!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 11, 2018, 11:34:08 am »

For something like this, you need version control, as that page isn't on waybackmachine. I suppose there's wiki for that?

That's an interesting thought. I've also begun studying some simple website design options - working from scratch, of course, not blogspot or something like that.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

ChrisLeJohn

• Bay Watcher
  • For your health
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 14, 2018, 02:37:14 pm »

Had to come by and show some love for this one.  Read it on and off over the past few days while procrastinating work!
I just learned how to spell escargot.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 20, 2018, 11:13:53 pm »

Had to come by and show some love for this one.  Read it on and off over the past few days while procrastinating work!

Thanks!

Chapter 66 has been posted!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 20, 2018, 11:39:01 pm »

Let them come. The Ice of Ghosts is a crueler realm by half. Dragons could not do it. Forgotten things were ended here. Even the undead are ensnared by its curse. These will be no exception.

The Dwarfs of Roomcarnage alone rule this damned place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 23, 2018, 09:17:14 am »

@Digging plans:

Simple Fort: "I accidentially the whole pipe."

*Roomcarnage licks lips*

Though, didn't this happen in last episode?

@Marking walls:

You probably could have ordered them slightly quicker with hollow box designation.

However, the dining hall having unengraved floor is probably more of an annoyance.

@Thob:

Bones are still more reasonable than yarn - for that is treated like hair from butchering, coming to life to wrestle shearer from it. But asking for silver rather than platinum is still whimsical. (Later, I see that Uvash got sealed into to-be-tomb with three pieces of wool cloth. Of course.)

And as for the ghostly Thob...I wonder, would you be able to engrave the memorial after retire-unretire? I recall hist figs aren't fully updated until they're offloaded,

It'd also get rid of the undead, clean the surface and let dragon husk free and is overall bad idea, but no worker needs to be able to reach the workshop to check whether it is possible.

@mayor's new clothes:

Perhaps the most delightful part of adamantine pick is that it is never going to do a slapping or pommeling blunt attack. But you'll get 3 picks for four swords; with lesser edge.

However, an adamantine pick in military uniform is left in stockpile when Atir goes digging for the world beyond, eager to divorced from her child once more.

FYI, you can safely auto-dig in unrevealed areas next to magma/water - the dwarf doesn't go through.

@Sarvesh:

Roomcarnage is showing why some designate workfloors as to be easily walled in.

"Shouldn't it be easy to provide the goods, FF?"

Not in these lands, no. It's quite something to experiene losing a child in "starting 7 only" fort due lack of resources....And yet another something to realize you've become used to it.

@Fascination with destruction:

There is a little voice, that tells you to jump on edges.

It's not like there's a reason to not jump in Roomcarnage.

But...perhaps, you can survive the jump.

Perhaps, the Ice of Ghosts makes one anxious like a poltergeist.

Digging deep enough to rest and without an iota of greed....Everyone knows what comes next.

I question what good is blocking off the western mines from the dining hall...and whether anyone can pull the lever in time.

@Butchering cats:

Mind you, they take 2 years to be full-grown, but are listed as adult at 1 - of course, I'd have figured for the gigantic one to at least yield meat.

@Link the lever:

Holeee.....A thing gone extinct years before I started playing (which I have done for years)!

Well now. But this is 34.11.

@Imush Tellcrafts:

A telling tale of the battle to come. The legendary warrior of Roomcarnage could couldn't stand against a single beast of the deeps with no skill - how might the fortress fare against an omni- grandmaster army of them?

And that ending....

I figured you would dig towards the ancient, long-gone feature.

I can only now wonder whether -that- will ever be pulled.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 23, 2018, 07:17:04 pm »

I'll try and respond to your questions as best I can...

Though, didn't this happen in last episode?

Not sure what you're referring to in this case.

And as for the ghostly Thob...I wonder, would you be able to engrave the memorial after retire-unretire?

This is v0.34.11 - there is no option to peacefully retire.

However, an adamantine pick in military uniform is left in stockpile when Atir goes digging for the world beyond, eager to divorced from her child once more.

Yes, I'm aware, but the point wasn't to have miners wielding adamantine picks at all times - only while in military uniform.

FYI, you can safely auto-dig in unrevealed areas next to magma/water - the dwarf doesn't go through.

I do not use auto-dig.

Roomcarnage is showing why some designate workfloors as to be easily walled in.

I've addressed this before, but it stands to be repeated - there are specific instances, like this one, where I consciously make suboptimal design or management decisions, for the sake of preserving the fun of things. Keeping things unpredictable is in the best interests of my storytelling.

@Butchering cats:

Mind you, they take 2 years to be full-grown, but are listed as adult at 1 - of course, I'd have figured for the gigantic one to at least yield meat.

Cats are difficult, though - they can adopt dwarves when they want, and the chance of being adopted increases they older they get. It's tricky to get the timing right, and is mostly guesswork on my end.

@Imush Tellcrafts:

A telling tale of the battle to come. The legendary warrior of Roomcarnage could couldn't stand against a single beast of the deeps with no skill - how might the fortress fare against an omni- grandmaster army of them?

Not at all. Speaking from personal experience, numbers are the most important factor when fighting large monsters - especially when well-skilled and equipped, a mob of dwarves is certainly capable of taking down demons in battle.

I figured you would dig towards the ancient, long-gone feature.

I can only now wonder whether -that- will ever be pulled.

I assume here you're referring to the upright adamantine scimitar? And asking why I didn't carve directly towards it?

It's not accessible from above.

When I created Roomcarnage's world, I reduced the number of cavern layers to one - this often (or perhaps always, I'm not sure) has the effect of making demonic fortresses inaccessible.

Thus the only way to the fortress, and the scimitar - if there is any way at all - is through hell.

I'm right on track.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:29:19 pm by DS »

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 28, 2018, 04:14:48 am »

Thus the only way to the fortress, and the scimitar - if there is any way at all - is through hell.

I'm right on track.

I actually smiled in amusement and amazement when I read/saw the adamantine scimitar and had the same amused smile when reading this quote.

Been reading this since the beginning (and the start of my college studies) and it's always a highlight of my day to read another post (I've enjoyed your other DF stories as well, and reading this/them has kept me sane over my 4+ years of Uni)

Excited for the next Chapter to the story of Roomcarnage!

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 28, 2018, 11:27:08 pm »

Very good story, I couldn't put it down once I got started. I think if you can beat the underworld, the next challenge would be to reclaim as much of your fortress from Zombies and Forgotten Beasts as you can.
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

timvisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 08, 2019, 08:34:00 am »

Any news!? :)

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:01 pm »

After ten thousand years, I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth finish Roomcarnage!

Just kidding - I've been supremely preoccupied with my day job, newly married life, two new kittens, and a few other creative projects.

I haven't been doing a great job keeping up with recent DF news, but it seems like an exciting time for the Dwarf Fortress community. I've been doing a far worse job keeping up with Roomcarnage story updates. I just finished recording the most recent chapter, and am starting the narration today. Hopefully I'll have it complete within a week or two, but this is already a very busy time of year for me (end of school year), so I would expect to finish this chapter by mid-June, at the very latest. But hopefully sooner.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 18, 2019, 07:31:31 pm »

Congratulations!

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 26, 2019, 11:41:55 am »

bump
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 21, 2019, 09:20:48 pm »

After ten thousand years, I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth finish Roomcarnage!

Just kidding - I've been supremely preoccupied with my day job, newly married life, two new kittens, and a few other creative projects.

I haven't been doing a great job keeping up with recent DF news, but it seems like an exciting time for the Dwarf Fortress community. I've been doing a far worse job keeping up with Roomcarnage story updates. I just finished recording the most recent chapter, and am starting the narration today. Hopefully I'll have it complete within a week or two, but this is already a very busy time of year for me (end of school year), so I would expect to finish this chapter by mid-June, at the very latest. But hopefully sooner.

Yikes - this post hasn't aged well.

No new chapter to speak of, but just a confirmation that 1) I am alive, 2) I have every intention of finishing this accursed story, and 3) I am still looking for alternatives to Imgur for long-term hosting of Roomcarnage and potential future stories. Maybe I should just suck it up and learn some basic web design, eh?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 22, 2019, 03:09:51 am »

A few tests show that base64 images don't show up in posts here due the img tag adding http:// to them. And I'm unsure if dffd allows you to host images - only compressed files, exe and txt files that I can see at glance. Boatmurdered is hosted as .pdf on dffd, but that won't work for your animated pieces.

(Admittedly, it might be worth two minutes for checking if downloading web page of imgur album, then viewing it without web connection works - then could save all of them into a zip that can be uploaded to dffd as backup.)

...Oh, right. Many Bloodline games on wiki also use its hosting. If your animations are gif, png or webp, that would work, though on account of the size of RoomCarnage and 'recent' bloodline games dating a decade ago, I'd ask permission from the wiki admins first.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44