Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 360371 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #615 on: December 07, 2019, 10:05:31 pm »

Chapter 67 has been posted!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 07, 2019, 10:50:59 pm »

Quote from: DS
So much for hell.

Let the endgame commence! :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 08, 2019, 06:43:51 am »

I wonder... Does the "safety" actually guard against the tantrums?

However, artifact bone door for the win. Or not, in this case.

Though I must admit, I was hoping to see them battle Inira foul fog zombie.

Ouch, 6 fps. This is truly the end (of) times.

...Oh, I thought you'd be  capturing Inira. And good to see (for you) that the game didn't crash this time, as it did for ThatAussieGuy.

Nice to see that downward stairways are still valid ways of movement for you. One of the ways to get demons without getting the announcement, after all.

I wasn't aware of Wraith of Steam condensation, having never paused to look at the remains twice. I wonder, could one use it to get water in a fortress that has none? I suspect not - they'd need to be stockpilable for that, at the very least - but would need 333 pieces per 1/7, of course.

Now...With the invading army crushed by rocks, the tougher part is going to be taming the last cavern layer. When The Momentous Dye hasn't managed to reseize abandoned parts of fortress or caverns ceded to enemies, I'm not sure they'll succeed.

But if you're right about those parts harkening the end for anyone who treads there, the ennui of abandoned hell will only mean falling to the ghosts of the past.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 08, 2019, 06:26:22 pm »

Looks like hell is yours! And it only took you what, like sixty years?

Well, with your switchback unused you could try to route a cavern's worth of undead into it. Cave-ins seem like the best way to defeat the hordes now, since if I recall correctly magma isn't always effective against them in your version.

Thinking back about hell, isn't there a dead units cap that will cause nothing else to spawn? You're still getting cavern wildlife as noted by the success of your traps, so maybe not, but knowing Roomcarnage your hell is going to be empty. The mighty military of Roomcarnage isn't ever going to be used for any large operations in the forseeable future, I expect; nobody in their right mind would try to take on v0.34 zombies with a mortal force.

shezarrine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 08, 2019, 11:31:05 pm »

Christmas came (two and a bit weeks) early this year, woo!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #620 on: December 09, 2019, 05:22:35 pm »

Wonderful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 03, 2020, 03:42:08 am »

I am still looking for alternatives to Imgur for long-term hosting of Roomcarnage and potential future stories. Maybe I should just suck it up and learn some basic web design, eh?

I could host it for free if I can put ads at the bottom for Losing Is Fun and The Littlest Cheesemaker. I already have the code from those projects. It uses bbcode just like the forum so publishing the pages is easy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:47:25 am by MadMonkey »
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

timvisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 07, 2020, 12:40:30 pm »

@DS: Once again I renew my offer to help you get set up on a GitHub Pages or S3 hosted site. :)

Really sad to lose part of Ch. 65. :(

And ooooo a new chapter that I haven't seen yet!? Hurrah!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 23, 2020, 08:59:45 pm »

Hey there!

Any updates on either new hosting, or, dare I ask, the story?
Team Bug Fix!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #624 on: June 25, 2020, 09:24:24 am »

Well I was just helping someone on a haunted glacier and this story came immediately to mind, I am shocked and impressed to find that it is still going.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 31, 2020, 09:56:00 am »

Has anyone preserved the story of Roomcarnage in a medium other than imgur posts?

I've noticed that some of the animations have red lava, and some have brown lava; a compression artifact.  This is because those particular gifs for whatever reason were chosen to be converted to mp4 by imgur's automated processes.

It is possible to grab the URL of the image and replace the mp4 with gif, and the old red lava gif still exists, but I wonder if someday it will no longer be there.

Random example from chapter 12: https://i.imgur.com/D3eLoR9.mp4 vs. https://i.imgur.com/D3eLoR9.gif

I'm worried that someday this awesome story will simply be lost to time.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 01, 2020, 10:17:44 pm »

Ahhhhhh!

Hello everyone - many apologies for the long hiatus. As might be expected, 2020 has not been treating me well. I won't go into the details, but suffice to say the misery and suffering beneath the Ice of Ghosts has scarcely felt like the escape from reality that it once was. I can't guarantee an update on any timeline, but rest assured, dear readers, that this unfinished narrative is like a constantly sizzling ember at the back of my mind - I will complete it, eventually.

I wasn't aware of Wraith of Steam condensation, having never paused to look at the remains twice. I wonder, could one use it to get water in a fortress that has none? I suspect not - they'd need to be stockpilable for that, at the very least - but would need 333 pieces per 1/7, of course.

I don't believe that it is possible in this version (or others) to condense drinkable water out of creature remains. It would be a wonderful and terrible thing if one could, though.

But if you're right about those parts harkening the end for anyone who treads there, the ennui of abandoned hell will only mean falling to the ghosts of the past.

It is a large and dangerous unknown, to be sure.

Well, with your switchback unused you could try to route a cavern's worth of undead into it. Cave-ins seem like the best way to defeat the hordes now, since if I recall correctly magma isn't always effective against them in your version.

It is generally ineffective against any animated dead - they simply continue to burn forever. I'm honestly not sure it's worth it at this point to even attempt retaking any undead-infested portion of the fortress.

Thinking back about hell, isn't there a dead units cap that will cause nothing else to spawn? You're still getting cavern wildlife as noted by the success of your traps, so maybe not, but knowing Roomcarnage your hell is going to be empty.

I really hope this isn't the case, but knowing my luck it probably will be.

Christmas came (two and a bit weeks) early this year, woo!

Perhaps I'll aim a bit earlier, this year?

Wonderful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have the stone. In any case, I doubt that the depths have anything to offer beyond what has already been available above - that is, oblivion.

@DS: Once again I renew my offer to help you get set up on a GitHub Pages or S3 hosted site. :)

Has anyone preserved the story of Roomcarnage in a medium other than imgur posts?

I'm worried that someday this awesome story will simply be lost to time.

Of course I haven't been keeping track of things surrounding Roomcarnage (re: 2020), but the short answer is - no. To my knowledge, nobody has preserved Roomcarnage outside of Imgur. I regret not being more attentive and eager to seek out help with transferring the story to a more permanent home. Armok knows I need it.

Hey there!

Any updates on either new hosting, or, dare I ask, the story?

None - at the moment, at least. It was good to see you briefly during BlindiRL's stream earlier today!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

SMARF

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 30, 2021, 05:24:32 pm »

Man I miss this. I been checking it periodically for years. I hope you have the ability to come back to it someday.

timvisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 01, 2021, 08:40:56 am »

Man I miss this. I been checking it periodically for years. I hope you have the ability to come back to it someday.

++++++1 :)

SnugglyBeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2021, 04:48:19 pm »

Whether or not you post again, DS, I just want to thank you for creating this wonderful, really engaging and ambitious emergent story for all of us to read.  It has been such a joy to discover, and to peruse again and again!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44